[comp.sys.apple] 2400 Baud Modems

ron@pro-pac.cts.com (Ron Aho) (02/24/90)

I'm looking for a modem for a //e and am not sure if I should go with an
internal or external modem.. What are the advantages to both? Also, I have
been looking at AE Datalink 2400 internal. Is it compatable with proterm
sotfware? Is there anything better thats in the same price range?

              - Ron Aho
              Ron @ Pro-Pac.cts.com

UN027265@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU (Eric Krichbaum) (02/25/90)

2400 baud modems....

Firstly, Internal vs. External...
	As modems go they are usually functionally equal.
          Internal                     External
   Less desktop space used.      Usable with different computers.
Usually uses computer power.     Uses external power.
Less cabling and hook up prob.   LEDs or status lights.

and the list goes on...  Personally, I prefer internal modems as I have
limited desk space.  But had I plenty of room, I would go with an external
due to compatibility with the Amiga, Commodore 128, Zenith 286, and Atari ST
here in the house.

specifically, I use an Epic Classic II 2400 baud internal.  I have had no
problems with mine, but have worked on a few.  Reasonable priced internal.

Datalink 2400, I also have experience with this modem.  Excellent modem,
(as are most products from Applied Engr.)

Both modems are compatible with Proterm 2.1.

External: I have experience with the ProModem 1200 but have not worked with
the 2400.  I did like the 1200, but like I said before my space is at a
minimum.  Also compatible with Proterm.
                                                  Eric

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (02/25/90)

In article <1640@crash.cts.com> ron@pro-pac.cts.com (Ron Aho) writes:
>I'm looking for a modem for a //e and am not sure if I should go with an
>internal or external modem.. What are the advantages to both? Also, I have
>been looking at AE Datalink 2400 internal. Is it compatable with proterm
>sotfware? Is there anything better thats in the same price range?

I'd get an internal.  Actually, I did get an internal--the AE DataLink 2400.
I like it--it's fully Hayes-compatible and SSC-compatible, so it works with
just about every terminal and BBS program in existence.  It's a solid product
by a solid company.  I highly recommend it.

(All this assumes that you'll stay Apple II for a few years, of course.  I
eventually want to move up from the IIe to a IIGS.  I'll just be able to unplug
the modem from the IIe and install it in the GS.  If there's any possibility
you'll switch to a different line of computers (gasp!), you're better off then
with an external.  Also, if you want 9600 baud or better, external's all there
is right now.  If you're going to keep with the II for a few more years,
though, then an internal's the only way to fly.  Also, don't bother with any
modem slower than 2400 baud.  2400 these days is only $30-$50 more than 1200
by the same manufacturer, but it REALLY makes a difference in speed.  I hate
it when I have to step down to 1200 for direct dial-ins to machines when I
can't call the terminal server because it's full.  1200 sucks--plain and
simple.  Don't get anything less than 2400 baud--you'll be sorry if you do, and
I'll laugh at you if I ever hear you complaining about how slow your 1200 is.

Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_  Apple II: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV