[comp.sys.apple] Shrinkit/GS

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (10/02/89)

Network Comment: to #11700 by nicholaA%moravian.edu@relay.cs.net

>Discouraged?  Yes -- when people go out of their way to charge for
>freeware programs, yes, I get discouraged.

>The IIe/IIc and II+ versions of shrinkit will still be free, as will the
>Unshrinkit and unshrinkit DA programs.  Only shrinkit/gs will be commercial.

If ShrinkIt/gs will support ARC, ZIP, StuffIt, and DDD files as well as what
is already there; in native gs mode.  I'd pay $80 for it (maybe more).  If it
only does what the old ShrinkIt does, with the addition of forked file
support...  Well, I'll have to try before I buy.  Know of anyplace that I can
try it out at?  :)
                                Laer

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (02/21/90)

Has anybody else downloaded the latest Snowterm that was recently
posted and unpacked it?  It's a fairly nice program, although I really
wish that menu bar wasn't there.  Would give the characters better
resolution I would think.  But that's not the point.  The POINT is that
upon unpacking this sucker it's instructions specifically say that you
need to unpack a resultant file with Shrinkit/GS or some other program
that came with it because the Snowterm program had resource forks.

Like when did Shrinkit/GS come out?  I never heard anything (and I
forget which Andy is which or even their addresses to 'mail' em).  Or is
this program just getting packed via some temporary program?  I'd ask
John Snow (who posted snowterm and author right?) but I can't mail to
UUCP sites.

SOOO, what is the scoop???  Is it done, was it just generated by a
beta/temporary program, what's up?  I recall Andy (whichever, sorry I
can never keep you two straight, you know who you are tho :) had 8 (?)
things left to do for it, but that was some time back.

Inquiring minds (at least mine) want to know!

-k

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (02/22/90)

In article <4195@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:

> The POINT is that
> upon unpacking this sucker it's instructions specifically say that you
> need to unpack a resultant file with Shrinkit/GS or some other program
> that came with it because the Snowterm program had resource forks.

Yep, What I understood John Snow was going to do was to put out the program
as an AppleSingle file.  That is, anyone can make an AppleSingle maker
(it's fairly easy, just read the technote) so they can interpret files
which have been put in Applesingle format.

GS/ShrinkIt can MAKE AppleSingle files, and it can also EXTRACT AppleSingle
files. (ok, it can do a lot more, but I digress...)

AppleSingle files are *NOT* proprietary to GS/ShrinkIt... hmmm... come to think
of it, nothing is proprietary to GS/ShrinkIt.  Huh, how about that?

> Like when did Shrinkit/GS come out?

It didn't.

> I never heard anything (and I
> forget which Andy is which or even their addresses to 'mail' em).  Or is
> this program just getting packed via some temporary program?  I'd ask
> John Snow (who posted snowterm and author right?) but I can't mail to
> UUCP sites.

John asked for a copy of GS/ShrinkIt (beta) to make sure that HIS AppleSingle
maker could properly work with GSSHK's AppleSingle maker/extractor.  John
said both programs worked fine (amazing, huh? :) so I guess he decided to
plop SnowTerm 2.0 in an AppleSingle file and send it out with his own
AppleSingle maker/extractor.

> SOOO, what is the scoop???  Is it done, was it just generated by a
> beta/temporary program, what's up?  I recall Andy (whichever, sorry I
> can never keep you two straight, you know who you are tho :) had 8 (?)
> things left to do for it, but that was some time back.

No, actually, I'm past the point of keeping count of "things to do" since
there are so many...

> -k

andy

--

Yeah!

jsnow@esunix.UUCP (John Snow) (02/23/90)

From article <4195@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, by asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth):

> Like when did Shrinkit/GS come out?  I never heard anything (and I
> forget which Andy is which or even their addresses to 'mail' em).  Or is
> this program just getting packed via some temporary program?  I'd ask
> John Snow (who posted snowterm and author right?) but I can't mail to
> UUCP sites.

ShrinkIt/GS is not available yet.  I included the instructions for using
ShrinkIt/GS because it WILL be available in the near future.  SnowTerm
was packed and unpacked not by ShrinkIt GS, but by some standalone
utilities that I wrote that convert an extended file to AppleSingle format
and back again.  ShrinkIt/GS will also support AppleSingle formatted files.

I listed an Interet address as well as a UUCP address so you should be able
to email me!
John F. Snow                         UUCP:     ...!uunet!utah-cs!esunix!jsnow
Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.    INET:           esunix!jsnow@cs.utah.edu
Salt Lake City, Utah                 America Online: JohnSnow  GEnie: J.SNOW2

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/24/90)

In article <1083@batman.moravian.EDU> nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) writes:

> GS/ShrinkIt can MAKE AppleSingle files, and it can also EXTRACT AppleSingle
> files. (ok, it can do a lot more, but I digress...)

> AppleSingle files are *NOT* proprietary to GS/ShrinkIt... hmmm... come to think

Does/will GS/ShrinkIt deal with AppleDouble files?  Does anyone else?  I'm
considering putting both (AppleSingle/Double) into PublicFolderGS, but I'm
sort of wondering if AppleSingle will deal with what most people (who want
such things) would want anyway.

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

dhom@spica.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (02/24/90)

In article <WOMBAT.90Feb23145714@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:

>Does/will GS/ShrinkIt deal with AppleDouble files?  Does anyone else?  I'm
>considering putting both (AppleSingle/Double) into PublicFolderGS, but I'm
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow!  Will it be compatible with Macintosh PublicFolder?

Dave
dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (02/24/90)

In article <WOMBAT.90Feb23145714@claris.com>, wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:

>> GS/ShrinkIt can MAKE AppleSingle files, and it can also EXTRACT AppleSingle
>> files. (ok, it can do a lot more, but I digress...)
>
>> AppleSingle files are *NOT* proprietary to GS/ShrinkIt... hmmm... come to
>
> Does/will GS/ShrinkIt deal with AppleDouble files?  Does anyone else?  I'm
> considering putting both (AppleSingle/Double) into PublicFolderGS, but I'm
> sort of wondering if AppleSingle will deal with what most people (who want
> such things) would want anyway.

No, as far as I know (subject to change), GS/ShrinkIt will not handle/work with
AppleDouble files.  If there is some dire, pressing need in the near future
to handle those types of files, I'll add it.  GS/ShrinkIt handles almost too
many archive formats already... or is there "never enough"?? :-)

andy

--

Yeah!

In article <25e62dd4.22c@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, dhom@spica.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) writes:

> >Does/will GS/ShrinkIt deal with AppleDouble files?  Does anyone else?  I'm
> >considering putting both (AppleSingle/Double) into PublicFolderGS, but I'm
>
> Wow!  Will it be compatible with Macintosh PublicFolder?

Scott (Lindsey): what's "PublicFolder"??

andy

--

Yeah!

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/27/90)

In article <25e62dd4.22c@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> dhom@spica.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) writes:

> In article <WOMBAT.90Feb23145714@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
> >
> >Does/will GS/ShrinkIt deal with AppleDouble files?  Does anyone else?  I'm
> >considering putting both (AppleSingle/Double) into PublicFolderGS, but I'm
						       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Wow!  Will it be compatible with Macintosh PublicFolder?

Yes, what I have is already compatible.  I've got some technical problems to
overcome before it can really be usable/useful.

In article <1102@batman.moravian.EDU> nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) writes:

> In article <25e62dd4.22c@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, dhom@spica.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) writes:

> > >Does/will GS/ShrinkIt deal with AppleDouble files?  Does anyone else?  I'm
> > >considering putting both (AppleSingle/Double) into PublicFolderGS, but I'm
> >
> > Wow!  Will it be compatible with Macintosh PublicFolder?

> Scott (Lindsey): what's "PublicFolder"??

To everyone who has asked:

Public Folder is an RDev (chooser device) for the Macintosh, written by
Michael Peirce of Claris.  It provides a network (AppleTalk) file transfer
mechanism between Macintoshes.  Since AppleTalk protocols are not restricted
to the Mac, I decided to try writing (it can hardly be considered a port) a
CDev for the IIgs that would provide the same service and interface with
existing Mac PF's.  I would estimate that the project is about 60% finished,
but I'll have to get approval from above before making any kind of release.

Initially, I'm planning on using the same creator/filetype <-> filetype/aux
mapping that is done on AppleShare, but that can cause loss of information if
certain kinds of files are transferred between platforms, thus my interest in
the AppleSingle/Double archive formats: to allow fully retrievable storage of
Mac files under GS/OS, if desired.

Of course, if FileShare becomes available under (the rumored) System 6.0, then
this will all be obsolete, with the possible exception of transfer speed:
Public Folder is many times faster than AppleShare, because it is simply a
data streamed (not ADSP!) file transfer built on ATP.