[comp.sys.apple] Ymodem batch

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) (02/14/90)

I would like to do some binary file transfers between the UNIX system
and my GS. I am using Kermit to do this at the moment but it is too
slow.
I have a version of xmodem which has ymodem send and receive
capabilitis, but the receive capability does not work. Whenever I try to
upload binary files to the UNIX system, I get ACK errors within
Proterm.
Does anyone have a version of ymodem batch which works on a SunOS
system?
I would be grateful if someone could send me the source code of such a
program.
Thanks.
|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu        |||||||||||Yong Su Kim||||||||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			     |||||The Korean from Hong Kong||||
|UUCP    : uunet!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4 |||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||
|____________________________________________||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (02/22/90)

In article <2905@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) writes:
>I would like to do some binary file transfers between the UNIX system
>and my GS. I am using Kermit to do this at the moment but it is too
>slow.
>I have a version of xmodem which has ymodem send and receive
>capabilitis, but the receive capability does not work. Whenever I try to
>upload binary files to the UNIX system, I get ACK errors within
>Proterm.
>Does anyone have a version of ymodem batch which works on a SunOS
>system?

Sorry, X/Y/Z/Modem won't work under SunOS...   SunOS insists on sending a
NUL (Ox00) after its EOL character (let me guess, you get errors on block
10 of the transfer right?)  I've tried everything to keep it from doing this
(My OS is SunOS 4.something, on both Sun 3 and 4 systems), but it refuses to
oblige me.  The SysAdm here suggested recompiling the xmodem program using
the Sys V thingies..  I did, and it still didn't work...  maybe you'll have
better luck (I've tried with the same results with xmodem, umodem, rz and sz
from Omen (Unix BSD Makefile), so I doubt if you'll be able to get it running)

If anyone out there HAS been able to get a variant of xmodem running under
SunOS, I'd be interested in hearing from you (and PLEASE send a uuencoded
sun4 binary to me)

Me..

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (02/22/90)

In article <2520@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> demarco@cs-sun-fsb.UUCP (Vince Demarco) writes:
>In article <2905@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) writes:
>>I would like to do some binary file transfers between the UNIX system
>>and my GS. I am using Kermit to do this at the moment but it is too
>>slow.
>>I have a version of xmodem which has ymodem send and receive
>>capabilitis, but the receive capability does not work. Whenever I try to
>>upload binary files to the UNIX system, I get ACK errors within
>>Proterm.
>>Does anyone have a version of ymodem batch which works on a SunOS
>>system?
>

>Sorry, X/Y/Z/Modem won't work under SunOS...   SunOS insists on sending a
>NUL (Ox00) after its EOL character (let me guess, you get errors on block
>10 of the transfer right?)  I've tried everything to keep it from doing this
>(My OS is SunOS 4.something, on both Sun 3 and 4 systems), but it refuses to
>oblige me.  The SysAdm here suggested recompiling the xmodem program using
>the Sys V thingies..  I did, and it still didn't work...  maybe you'll have
>better luck (I've tried with the same results with xmodem, umodem, rz and sz
>from Omen (Unix BSD Makefile), so I doubt if you'll be able to get it running)

Ooh boy.

I've never had any problem running rz/sz on our sun 4 running sunos
4.0.3.  I also used the BSD make. Are you trying to run through a
terminal concentrator or something? That was my problem some time ago.
The concentrator was not passing $18's through. There was a switch to
set on the concentrator and BOOM! all happy. (I type "term download"
before connecting to the sun.)
--
Dave Whitney
dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu  ...!mit-eddie!sun-bear!dcw  dcw@athena.mit.edu

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (02/23/90)

[Stuff deleted, about getting sx/sb/sz to work under sunOS]
>set on the concentrator and BOOM! all happy. (I type "term download"
>before connecting to the sun.)
>--
>Dave Whitney
>dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu  ...!mit-eddie!sun-bear!dcw
>dcw@athena.mit.edu

What is happening to me is that as soon as the xfer gets to block 13 I
get a bunch of complement errors.  That is SunOS (I think) seems to be
sending a Null after a line feed or return.  So the recieveing side
instead of getting the complement of the block number it gets a null.
If the file is smaller than 13 xmodem blocks all is fine.  (there
isn't too many files that small)

        Terminal concentrator???  What is the switch to turn it off??
If by terminal concentrator you me a local network (we have
develent, that is you call up develent and tell it what system you
want to be connected to.)

Thanks..

vince demarco
demarco@cpsc.UCalgary.CA

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (02/25/90)

In article <2540@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> demarco@cs-sun-fsb.UUCP (Vince Demarco) writes:
>[Stuff deleted, about getting sx/sb/sz to work under sunOS]
>>set on the concentrator and BOOM! all happy. (I type "term download"
>>before connecting to the sun.)
>>--
>
>What is happening to me is that as soon as the xfer gets to block 13 I
>get a bunch of complement errors.  That is SunOS (I think) seems to be
>sending a Null after a line feed or return.  So the recieveing side
>instead of getting the complement of the block number it gets a null.
>If the file is smaller than 13 xmodem blocks all is fine.  (there
>isn't too many files that small)

Hmm... this is interesting. Perhaps this is related to the sporatic problems
I have up/downloading files using Zlink/Proterm and [rs][xbz]...  Latest
annoying problem came when downloading the corrected version of Multijuggle.
Using sz -k on the unix (sunos4.0.3) and Zlink (ymodem/batch), it dies at
byte 141312.  Using plain sz on the unix side, it dies someplace before that.
Moving over into Proterm, that didn't work to hot either, but that's not
too enormously surprising.

Funny (ha!) thing was, even if I tried s[xb] and Zlink, it still dies.  Go
figure.  Finally had to resort to Kermit, and I'm not even sure that worked.

Note that this is at any baud, 2400-19200, not that I can see it matters..
Who's bug is this?

>>Dave Whitney

>vince demarco

--Chan
  Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <or> radius!cwilson@apple.com
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
	      I don't speak for SRI, someone else does.

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (02/26/90)

In article <13569@fs2.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) writes:
>In article <2540@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> demarco@cs-sun-fsb.UUCP (Vince Demarco) writes:
>>[Stuff deleted, about getting sx/sb/sz to work under sunOS]
>>>set on the concentrator and BOOM! all happy. (I type "term download"
>>>before connecting to the sun.)

This was to alleviate bugs in SENDING TO the sun. Never had problems receiving.

>>What is happening to me is that as soon as the xfer gets to block 13 I
>>get a bunch of complement errors.  That is SunOS (I think) seems to be
>>sending a Null after a line feed or return.  So the recieveing side
>>instead of getting the complement of the block number it gets a null.
>>If the file is smaller than 13 xmodem blocks all is fine.  (there
>>isn't too many files that small)

>Using sz -k on the unix (sunos4.0.3) and Zlink (ymodem/batch), it dies at
>byte 141312.  Using plain sz on the unix side, it dies someplace before that.

That's Ymodem block 138, $8A. That means it had troubles on the next
block - $8B. See more below.

>Funny (ha!) thing was, even if I tried s[xb] and Zlink, it still dies.  Go
>figure.  Finally had to resort to Kermit, and I'm not even sure that worked.

>>>Dave Whitney

>>vince demarco

>  Chan Wilson

That's odd. I always type 'sb <file>' to send to Z-Link. Typing 'sz'
just momentarily confuses things as the unix side tries to send with
Zmodem. When Z-Link NAKs it to death, sz steps down to ymodem.

On the other hand, I've never had problems. It's the only way I ever
send anything back and forth. Are YOU being routed through a terminal
concentrator or just trying to send through a TELNET session? Every
layer of software you go through adds to the various troubles you can
have. Z-Link will eventually do kermit, but don't hold your breath - I
have to graduate this term (somebody hire me!).

When you try sending with Xmodem ('sx file'), where does it die?
Betcha at byte 17664. That's also block $8A (last good one to come
over). If so, then I'd bet that some piece of software is munching
$8B's.

--

matthew@sunpix.East.Sun.COM ( Sun Visualization Products) (02/27/90)

In article <2520@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> demarco@cs-sun-fsb.UUCP (Vince Demarco) writes:
>Sorry, X/Y/Z/Modem won't work under SunOS...   SunOS insists on sending a
>NUL (Ox00) after its EOL character (let me guess, you get errors on block
>10 of the transfer right?)  I've tried everything to keep it from doing this
>(My OS is SunOS 4.something, on both Sun 3 and 4 systems), but it refuses to
>oblige me.
>
>Me..

Strange, I use Xmodem 3.6 (as posted to comp.sources.unix (Volume 15))
to do all my X and Y modem transfers.  It sound like you don't have
your terminal configuration set up correctly.

When I call in from home I use Talk Is Cheap (TIC) in adm3a emulation mode.
For direct connections, I use h19 or vt100 and disable the 'stty' and
'tset' commands in my ".login" file.  Take a look in that direction.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"