[comp.sys.apple] Macintosh-->ProDOS

mustang@spock.UUCP (Neil McNeight) (02/20/90)

	I KNOW!!  There is an unwritten law stating that cross-posting
between Mac and Apple newsgroups is forbidden, but this question has to
do with both.

	I am having the darndest time trying to transfer files from the
Macs in the computer lab to my //gs in my room.  Before you go through
the trouble of thinking of some elaborate scheme I should use or
something I forgot, let me list what I know:

-I know these files should be Apple compatible because I download them
from comp.binaries.apple off of our VAX 11/780 (soon to be a Sun 3... I
hope :-).  Yes I realize these need to be BinSCII'ed (BinHex in Mac
terms) and un-Shrinkit'ed (un-Stuffit'ed for the Mac) and I
successfully converted BinSCII from VAX to Mac to Apple, but when I
ftp'ed sumex for Shrinkit and eventually converted it, it didn't work!
(Note: the BinSCII was a text file which I executed, when then produced
the real BinSCII (not like you Mac users know what th' he|| I'm talking
about :))

-Forget about any kind of direct link between //gs and VAX because...
	(1) I have no communications program, and
	(2) I'm NOT lugging my gs all the way to the computer center
	    unless I absolutely HAVE to.

-I've used Apple File Transfer 'till I'm blue in the face and still
nothing.  Does BinHex do the same job as BinSCII (for those of you who
are bi-lingual)?  Is there something on the VAX which does the same job
as BinSCII (forget about uuencode/uudecode)?

	Any help on the subject (mail or post) would be greatly appreciated.

Neil McNeight			|"Does anyone know where the love of God goes"
Class of 1991			|"When the waves turn the minutes to hours"
Choate Rosemary Hall		|	-Gordon Lightfoot
Wallingford, CT			|	'The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald'
Real Home: Marine City, MI	|---------------------------------------------
Real Life: Still searching	| Even!if!I@knew.my.path,I!wouldn't.tell!YOU!

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/20/90)

In article <1011@spock.UUCP> mustang@spock.UUCP (Neil McNeight) writes:

[I download BinSCIIed stuff to my Mac, and I want to get it to my GS
to use it]

Apple File Exchange works great for me.  Please go into detail (on this
newsgroup only) about the "nothing" that resulted for you.  Once you've
AFEed the files to a ProDOS disk, launch BinSCII and let it process the
text files back into their original form (which is often files that need
to be unpacked with ShrinkIt).

BinHex and BinSCII have similar purposes (purpi?), but they aren't compatible
with each other.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/20/90)

If you left the files as text until you got them to the //gs, then few
things could go wrong, and those would be:

	binary mode used by FTP, so all returns in the file are actually
line feeds (unix uses linefeeds instead of returns).
	AFE (which is too F*cking slow because it thinks a prodos disk is a bad
quantum) might have used its default translation (it shouldn't) which would
preserve the linefeeds...
	even then, binscii should walk right past them without any problems.

could you describe exactly the method you've been using, and where the problems
show up?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

MARCELO@phoenix.princeton.edu (MARCELO) (02/21/90)

In article <1011@spock.UUCP> mustang@spock.UUCP (Neil McNeight) writes:
> -Forget about any kind of direct link between //gs and VAX because...
>         (1) I have no communications program, and
>         (2) I'm NOT lugging my gs all the way to the computer center
>             unless I absolutely HAVE to.
>
> -I've used Apple File Transfer 'till I'm blue in the face and still
> nothing.

     .. You could probably keep on using AFE " 'till I'm blue in the face"
and never get anywhere .. The file that resides on comp.binary.apple (or
whatever) is a text file .. Regardless of where that file ends up it will
always be text .. That means it's text on the Vax on a Sun on a Mac on an
IBM on an Amiga and on an Apple ][ .. There is no need to use AFE .. In
fact if you do use AFE it takes this data which is for an Apple ][ and
treats it like it was a Mac file (trouble begins here) .. Now we take this
file and convert it to Apple ][ format using AFE (why?? it was in A ][
form to begin with) .. You now have a file filled with garbage That is
useless to any and all machines ..

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (02/21/90)

In article <1011@spock.UUCP> mustang@spock.UUCP (Neil McNeight) writes:

>... I
>ftp'ed sumex for Shrinkit and eventually converted it, it didn't work!

Are you sure you got Shrinkit and not Stuffit?  As far as I know, sumex
only carries Mac software.  Try ftp'ing to husc6.harvard.edu or
him1.cc.umich.edu to get Shrinkit.

>...Does BinHex do the same job as BinSCII (for those of you who
>are bi-lingual)?  Is there something on the VAX which does the same job
>as BinSCII (forget about uuencode/uudecode)?

BinHex and BinSCII are different.  There is source code (in C) for a
program called sciibin, which you can get from husc6 (in the Unix directory).
If you compile this prog on your VAX (soon to be a Sun), you can un-Binscii
files on the VAX and download them as binary.  However, it's probably
easier (but slower) to just download the text files (binscii'ed) to your
Mac and then un-Binscii them on the Apple II.

Howard C. Huang                        Internet:  huang@husc4.harvard.edu
Sophomore Computer Science Major       Bitnet:    huang@husc4.BITNET
Mather House 426, Harvard College      UUCP:      huang@husc4.UUCP (I think)
Cambridge, MA 02138                    Apple II:  ftp husc6.harvard.edu

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/21/90)

In article <14002@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> MARCELO@phoenix.princeton.edu (MARCELO) writes:

> In article <1011@spock.UUCP> mustang@spock.UUCP (Neil McNeight) writes:
> > -Forget about any kind of direct link between //gs and VAX because...
> >         (1) I have no communications program, and
> >         (2) I'm NOT lugging my gs all the way to the computer center
> >             unless I absolutely HAVE to.
> >
> > -I've used Apple File Transfer 'till I'm blue in the face and still
> > nothing.

>	.. You could probably keep on using AFE " 'till I'm blue in the face"
> and never get anywhere ..
I beg to differ.

> The file that resides on comp.binary.apple (or whatever) is a text file ..
Correct.  Keep this in mind for later.

> Regardless of where that file ends up it will always be text .. That means
> it's text on the Vax on a Sun on a Mac on an IBM on an Amiga and on an
> Apple ][ ..
Especially on an Apple II.

> There is no need to use AFE ..
Yes there is: to get the text file from the Mac to the II.

> In fact if you do use AFE it takes this data which is for an Apple ][
What?  We just agreed that this was a text file!

> and treats it like it was a Mac file (trouble begins here) ..
It treats it like the text file that it is.

> Now we take this file and convert it to Apple ][ format using AFE
No.  We use AFE to write the text file to a ProDOS disk.  Same old text file:
same on all platforms, remember?

> (why?? it was in A ][ form to begin with) ..
No no no... it was in text to begin with!

> You now have a file filled with garbage That is useless to any and all
> machines ..
**BRAAAP** Wrong answer, but thank you for playing.  You now have the text
file on a ProDOS disk, ready to be decoded by Binscii or whatever on the
Apple II.

Pardon my callousness, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/21/90)

MARCELO@phoenix.princeton.edu (MARCELO) writes:

>IBM on an Amiga and on an Apple ][ .. There is no need to use AFE .. In
>fact if you do use AFE it takes this data which is for an Apple ][ and
>treats it like it was a Mac file (trouble begins here) .. Now we take this
>file and convert it to Apple ][ format using AFE (why?? it was in A ][
>form to begin with) .. You now have a file filled with garbage That is
>useless to any and all machines ..

Untrue. The format conversion performed by AFE is across file system formats,
which all have their own way of storing text files, and that is what AFE puts
on your ProDOS disk -- a text file which when you read it will look just like
the text file did on the mac.

If you take a mac word processing document and convert it, you get garbage, but
it is by no means useless... the garbage (like that in an AppleWorks file, by
the way) is usually just a big header of format information and then special
markers are placed between each line of text. You can get a mac WP document
onto your Apple and "Clean up" the file, which means you have to delete the
garbage and replace it with the Apple WP's formatting.

AFE is too damn slow anyway, and this is because it seeks track 0 before it
writes every block on to a ProDOS disk. (No conspiracy here, eh?)

I found a better way: A screenfull of BASIC and poked assembly reads in a mac
disk and stores the raw image as a huge text file on the RAMdisk. If no files
have been modified or deleted, then the HFS algorithms will have put every text
file on the disk in contiguous and ascending block order... I then run the
raw dump file through Binscii, and after it picks through the directories and
the desktop file it decodes all my binscii downloads to the other RAMdisk.
(helps to have a 1 meg //gs and a 1 meg RamFactor.)

Mucho faster, and batch so I can walk away and let it finish. On the mac, all I
have to do is erase a disk, and copy the files I want onto it with finder, and
take the disk home.

Still, it's no substitute for an HFS FST.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

dhom@spica.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (02/21/90)

Be sure that whatever program you are using to download to your mac is
set to ascii mode.  A lot of mac programs default to bin or macbinary
format. (These files are nothing but garbage to a gs)

I use MacKermit or SU Mac-IP and Apple File Exchange with no problems
on a regular basis.

Dave
dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/21/90)

I have a request to make.  I've recently started teaching a group
of high school girls how to program in BASIC on the apple.

We have two IIes, and a IIgs, but the IIgs belongs to one of the
people who run the group.

Wherein lies the relevant content?  The lady who owns the IIgs has
Publish-It!  for the IIgs.  She's going to be getting a mac soon
and doesn't want to pay the $350 to get the mac version of Publish-It!

Is there a way to get the II series version of publish it to run on
the mac so that my group can get her IIgs to use?

Supposedly the version of publish it runs just fine on a IIe.

I heard there was a program for the Mac that lets it act like a
II.  Would this allow her to run Publish-It!?  Where can she buy
this program?  How do I transfer the programs from the IIgs to
the macintosh?

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609   there is much to be done.
If my next computer isn't a IIgs, it won't be an apple... Me.

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (02/21/90)

In article <8805@wpi.wpi.edu> greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:
>Is there a way to get the II series version of publish it to run on
>the mac so that my group can get her IIgs to use?

Forget it!  The Mac and II are two completely different machines.  The II
series use the 65(C)02/65C816 processors, while the Macintosh uses the 680x0
series.  Binaries on one computer will definitely not run on the other.  This
doesn't even take into account the differences between ProDOS and HFS.  Need
I say more? :-)

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_  Apple II: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (02/21/90)

In article <1990Feb21.054417.5319@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) writes:
>In article <8805@wpi.wpi.edu> greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:
>>Is there a way to get the II series version of publish it to run on
>>the mac so that my group can get her IIgs to use?
>
>Forget it!  The Mac and II are two completely different machines.  The II
>series use the 65(C)02/65C816 processors, while the Macintosh uses the 680x0
>series.  Binaries on one computer will definitely not run on the other.  This

Wrong, there is a program called II in a Mac that lets the Mac run Apple IIe
software.  It works with AppleWorks,  whether it works with publish It, I
don't know.It is sold by Computer Applications, Inc. (919) 846-1411.  It
costs $149.95.  It also converts Apple II files to Mac format.

It emulates the 6502in software on the Mac.

I wish you folks wouldn't be so positive in saying something doesn't exist.

There are thousands of programs and peripherals out there, no one can know of
them all.

Rick

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb21.054417.5319@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) writes:
>Forget it!  The Mac and II are two completely different machines.  The II
>series use the 65(C)02/65C816 processors, while the Macintosh uses the 680x0
>series.  Binaries on one computer will definitely not run on the other.  This
>doesn't even take into account the differences between ProDOS and HFS.  Need
>I say more? :-)

Yes, more information will be necessary.  I heard there is a program
called II in a Mac that allows a macintosh to emulate an apple II,
however I do not know the limitations of that program.  I would assume
its capable of emulating 65c02 binary code, since prodos 8 and
basic system don't come with a  standard mac package.

Anyone have any info on this product?
---

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (02/22/90)

In article <8805@wpi.wpi.edu> greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:
Is there a way to get the II series version of publish it to run on
the mac so that my group can get her IIgs to use?

In article <1990Feb21.054417.5319@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) writes:
Forget it!  The Mac and II are two completely different machines.  The II
series use the 65(C)02/65C816 processors, while the Macintosh uses the 680x0
series.  Binaries on one computer will definitely not run on the other.  This
doesn't even take into account the differences between ProDOS and HFS.  Need
I say more? :-)

While you can't run Apple II software directly on the Macintosh, there is a
program called "II in a Mac" or something like that that WILL run Apple IIe
software.  I don't know about its limitations or execution speed on a plain
old Mac Plus, though.  It's a (yargh) software-based emulator.

There is no IIGS emulator available that I know of.
--
Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu

MARCELO@phoenix.princeton.edu (MARCELO) (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb20.212421.22124@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu>
toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
> The format conversion performed by AFE is across file system formats,
> which all have their own way of storing text files, and that is what AFE
puts
> on your ProDOS disk -- a text file which when you read it will look just
like
> the text file did on the mac.

Fine I never said that AFE didn't do that .. But you have to remember the
file that you are converting TO Apple ][ format is allready in ][ format
.. You are making AFE think that the file is in Mac text format (which it
isn't) and then trying to convert it to ][ format (it was to begin with)
.. So you see taking a file that is in ][ format and then trying to
convert it back to ][ format without converting it to Mac inbetween yeilds
something that neither tha Mac nor the ][ will understand ..

huang@husc7.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (02/22/90)

>>Is there a way to get the II series version of publish it to run on
>>the mac so that my group can get her IIgs to use?

>Forget it!  The Mac and II are two completely different machines.  The II
>series use the 65(C)02/65C816 processors, while the Macintosh uses the 680x0
>series.  Binaries on one computer will definitely not run on the other.  This
>doesn't even take into account the differences between ProDOS and HFS.  Need
>I say more? :-)

Well, the Apple II and IBM are two completely different machines, with
different processors, assembly language, operating systems, etc., but
PC Transporter supposedly does a pretty good job running IBM software on
a II.

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (02/23/90)

In article <14020@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> MARCELO@phoenix.princeton.edu (MARCELO) writes:
>In article <1990Feb20.212421.22124@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu>
>toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>> The format conversion performed by AFE is across file system formats,
>> which all have their own way of storing text files, and that is what AFE
>puts
>> on your ProDOS disk -- a text file which when you read it will look just
>like
>> the text file did on the mac.
>
>Fine I never said that AFE didn't do that .. But you have to remember the
>file that you are converting TO Apple ][ format is allready in ][ format
>.. You are making AFE think that the file is in Mac text format (which it
>isn't) and then trying to convert it to ][ format (it was to begin with)
>.. So you see taking a file that is in ][ format and then trying to
>convert it back to ][ format without converting it to Mac inbetween yeilds
>something that neither tha Mac nor the ][ will understand ..

This is the biggest non-issue since Macs and //s both store TEXT in
exactly the same way. I believe that AFE doesn't transfer resource
forks, so that's not a problem. Since the file was not fiddled with by any
mac software, running at through AFE to get it onto a prodos disk will
do NOTHING to the file.

How do I know this for certain? I've done it. Actually, I have the
file on a unix machine, stored with LF as the line terminator. I use a
gatorbox to pull it over to a mac. The gatorbox converts the LFs to
CRs. I then use AFE to get the file on a prodos disk. Works fine. In
addition, if we're talking about BinSCII files, then it matters even
less since BinSCII ignores EVERYTHING before the line FiLeSt... and
any character not in the translation alphabet. In other words, unless
AFE random sticks in capital A's, then BinSCII doesn't care what
happens. (I thought of this stuff when I wrote it...)

--
Dave Whitney
dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu  ...!mit-eddie!sun-bear!dcw  dcw@athena.mit.edu

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/23/90)

MARCELO@phoenix.princeton.edu (MARCELO) writes:

>.. So you see taking a file that is in ][ format and then trying to
>convert it back to ][ format without converting it to Mac inbetween yeilds
>something that neither tha Mac nor the ][ will understand ..

You don't have to. mac text format is a superset of ][ text format.

both machines use positive ASCII to represent the standard characters.
both machines use Return ($0D) as the line seperator.

The Mac & GS/OS define characters >127 as being the Mac foreign/special
character set.

AFE provides a text translation mainly to do things like converting tab
conventions (which it lets you set), stripping control characters, and
changing line seperators, which is important sometimes because unix uses
Line Feed ($0A) and some printers require CR-LF pairs.

You can transfer Mac and Apple text files back and forth and they will work
even if you use binary mode.

From Unix, or another mainframe is a different story however.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

pem@cadnetix.COM (Paul Meyer) (02/23/90)

In article <1011@spock.UUCP> mustang@spock.UUCP (Neil McNeight) writes:

>	I KNOW!!  There is an unwritten law stating that cross-posting
>between Mac and Apple newsgroups is forbidden, but this question has to
>do with both.
	I don't know it; then again, I don't tend to read the Apple group.
On the other hand, if you're not looking for a hardware solution, why did
you crosspost to c.s.m.h?

>	I am having the darndest time trying to transfer files from the
>Macs in the computer lab to my //gs in my room.  Before you go through
>the trouble of thinking of some elaborate scheme I should use or
>something I forgot, let me list what I know:

	I used to do this a little; I have both a Mac and a //gs at home,
and occcasionally pull things off the net for the //gs, but it's been a long
time since I did this (the last time was before the advent of BinScii, when
everything was in Executioner format).
	My problems usually started on the UNIX->Mac end of things; I had
lousy luck with text downloads, but got the PD source for xmodem and that
took care of it.  These days we have Macs at work and use TOPS...
	I'd guess that your problem is in text-file translation.  I've never
had the AFE text translator work for me; use the default (pure binary)
translation.  Make sure that the line-ends are correct for the Apple--the
Mac uses just a cr (ascii 13) for line-ends.  I don't know offhand what
ProDOS uses (you can tell which of my machines I do most stuff on).
I'd try the various permutations--make three copies of the file and
change all the line-ends to cr in one, to crlf in another, and to lf in the
last.  (I'd do all this on the Mac, using McSink or equivalent; I imagine
MS Word could do it with enough effort.)
	Lastly, perhaps the ProDOS file type bytes are coming out wrong?
Does Binscii expect a specific value that AFE doesn't put in?

	Do any of the folks with the MPW //gs tools have a tool to make this
job easier?

Paul Meyer                      pem@cadnetix.COM
Daisy/Cadnetix Inc. (DAZIX)	{uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!pem
5775 Flatirons Pkwy.            GEnie P.MEYER  CI$ 73627,1274  AoL LordKorath
Boulder, CO 80301               (303)444-8075x277

In article <11494@cadnetix.COM> pem@cadnetix.COM (Paul Meyer) writes:

>	Lastly, perhaps the ProDOS file type bytes are coming out wrong?
>Does Binscii expect a specific value that AFE doesn't put in?

BinSCII cares about NOTHING. Line-ends are ignored. Multiple parts to
decode can sit in the same text file. You can even process them out of
order. Have a party.

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/24/90)

In article <11494@cadnetix.COM> pem@cadnetix.COM (Paul Meyer) writes:

	   Do any of the folks with the MPW //gs tools have a tool to make this
> job easier?

Yes, it's called DuplicateIIgs, but you have to have MPWIIgs in order to get
it.  A.F.E. is the only thing available to the masses.

Les_Ferch.@MTSG.UBC.CA (02/24/90)

>There is no need to use AFE .. In fact if you do use AFE it takes
>this data which is for an Apple ][ and treats it like it was a Mac
>file (trouble begins here) .. Now we take this file and convert it
>to Apple ][ format using AFE (why?? it was in A ][ form to begin
>with) .. You now have a file filled with garbage That is useless to
>any and all machines ..

In a word, BULLPUCKY.  A text file on a Mac is the same as a text
file on an Apple II - ASCII with CR at line ends.  AFE will simply
copy the TEXT file from the Mac disk to the Apple II 3.5" disk
without any translation, which is exactly what you'd want.

Les_Ferch.@MTSG.UBC.CA (02/24/90)

> Even!if!I@knew.my.path,I!wouldn't.tell!YOU!

Sure, ask a bunch of questions without giving a mailing address...

(By the way, in case you didn't know, the polite thing to do is give an
address so people can send replies directly to you, if they choose, and
then you can summarize for the rest of us.)  Anyhow, I know there has been a
deluge of responses to this, but in case none of them helped and you want
to be even more confused, here's mine:

I'm afraid your problem wasn't very clearly stated so I'll just try to give
you some useful information.

TEXT FILES (includes BINSCII and BINHEX files)
- be wary of EBCDIC(IBM mainframes)/ASCII(most others) translation problems
- transfer as TEXT files (ie. don't use binary mode)
- BINSCII and BINHEX are both text format bot NOT the same format

BINARY FILES (includes Shrinkit, Stuffit, Binhex5[aka MacBinary] files)
- use BINARY or IMAGE transfer modes with ftp or Kermit
- Shrinkit is NOT the same format as Stuffit

GETTING FILES FROM MAC TO GS (it's simple)
- Use Apple File Exchange (AFE) on the Mac (comes with the Mac System Software)
- Insert a formatted GS 800K disk after firing up AFE.
- Do NOT use any translation at all (ie. use "Default Translation", which is
  just a straight copy) for TEXT or BINARY files.

MUNGED FILES
- BINSCII files sent via email are often munged by mailers that like to do
  silly, inexplicable things.  I find it impossible to email BINSCII files
  between myself (in Vancouver, B.C.) and a net-friend in Florida.
- Check BINSCII files with a text editor (are there lines shorter than other
  lines?  Are extra characters added at the beginning of lines?  Are there
  "garbage" characters in the file?)

Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (02/25/90)

In article <8805@wpi.wpi.edu>, greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:

> We have two IIes, and a IIgs, but the IIgs belongs to one of the
> people who run the group.
>
> Wherein lies the relevant content?  The lady who owns the IIgs has
> Publish-It!  for the IIgs.  She's going to be getting a mac soon
> and doesn't want to pay the $350 to get the mac version of Publish-It!
>
> Is there a way to get the II series version of publish it to run on
> the mac so that my group can get her IIgs to use?

First off, let me say that I am a *huge* fan of Publish-it! and in particular
Publish-it!2. However, it's very slow on a //e or //c without an accelerator
and /ram card to run it from. The program for running Apple // programs on the
Mac is called ][ in a Mac. It's been awhile since I owned it but at that time
it would run at %40 percent of the speed of a //e. If I recall correctly, it
only emulated a //e with two 5 1/4 drives. I honestly think that it would be
far more trouble than it's worth to run it on the Mac. Another factor is that
Publish-It! for the Mac has a *huge* number of utilities for xfering files and
pictures from different Mac formats and sources. In other words it's really
worth the difference in price, particularly when you allow for not having to
spend $100.00+ for ][ in a Mac. If you have Apple ]['s you should have
Publish-it!. Why not buy her a copy of the Mac version? Then you've both
got the best of each world for an extremely low cost. After all, $350 for
a ][GS and Publish-it! is quite a bargain!!!!!

> ---
> Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   W.O.S. is not dead.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *

P.S. You probably already know this but *never* buy from the software
publisher. You can save a considerable amount by going through a mail
order house like Programs Plus or Mac Connection. I don't have any Mac
magazines around so I can't give you exact figures. Good hunting!

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/27/90)

In article <1153@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:
>Why not buy her a copy of the Mac version? Then you've both
>got the best of each world for an extremely low cost. After all, $350 for
>a ][GS and Publish-it! is quite a bargain!!!!!

First of all I'm a poor college student, and don't have $350 to blow...

Second, I don't get the GS, the $350 is just to buy a copy of
Publish-it!! in th macintosh version.  Either way she keeps both
machines, I just teach a class there, to students under her care...

She already has the IIe version, and is getting a macintosh,
hence she wants publish-it to run on the mac, so she can use it
still...
---

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (02/27/90)

Bob Church writes:
>>Why not buy her a copy of the Mac version? [of Publish-It!]

Michael J Pender replies:
>She already has the IIe version, and is getting a macintosh,
>hence she wants publish-it to run on the mac, so she can use it
>still...

It's a lot easier to just get the Mac version.  If I had a IIe with
AppleWorks and decided to buy a Macintosh, I would change to Microsoft
Works or something rather than look for a way to make AppleWorks run on
the Mac.