[comp.sys.apple] Hard disk woes..

dougm@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Doug Mcintyre) (02/23/90)

        Would someone from Apple or someone who has messed around a lot with
the SCSI drivers and GS/OS care to comment on *exactly* what error conditions
arrise to give the generic cryptic error message: Hard1 may be damaged?
After getting out of the text box, Orca then complains directory structure
damaged... I've looked around the directory structure, obviouslly it isn't
damaged, and Orca just isn't up to the times, but what is wrong?

I'm getting these errors all the time for the back 400k or so of my hard
drive, and the directory I'm in now seems stuck to use that area, even though
I moved off 3 megs to bacup..

Its a little hard to fix anything, if GS/OS won't tell you what it is.. I
don't* want to do either a hard or soft re-formatting, simply because I don't
have enough off-line storage to do so..

I don't want to dissassemble all of GS/OS error handler routines to find out..
Just a pain..

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!dougm                Compuserve: 70611,2215
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!dougm@nosc.mil                        ALPE: DougMac
INET: dougm@pnet51.cts.com                                    GENIE: D.MCINTYRE1

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (02/27/90)

In article <2080@orbit.cts.com> dougm@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Doug Mcintyre) writes:
>... generic cryptic error message: Hard1 may be damaged?
>I'm getting these errors all the time for the back 400k or so of my hard
>drive, and the directory I'm in now seems stuck to use that area, even though
>I moved off 3 megs to bacup..

This is the same problem that I reported some time ago.
It seems to happen (at least sometimes) when one tries to
copy a large batch of files onto the disk and there isn't room for them all.
The only way I know of to straighten it out is to reformat the disk,
or at least to reinitialize the filesystem.
I never did get an answer as to what was wrong.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/27/90)

In article <2080@orbit.cts.com> dougm@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Doug Mcintyre) writes:
>Would someone from Apple or someone who has messed around a lot with
>the SCSI drivers and GS/OS care to comment on *exactly* what error conditions
>arrise to give the generic cryptic error message: Hard1 may be damaged?

Well, it's more *generic* than cryptic.  Assuming you're getting the dialog
I think you are (a 40-column text box, since you were in text mode), it's
actually the ProDOS FST that's complaining, not ORCA.

I don't have a handy list of all the things the ProDOS FST can complain about,
but I suggest you use Glen Bredon's Mr.Fixit utility to see what's wrong with
your volume.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

In article <2080@orbit.cts.com> dougm@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Doug Mcintyre) writes:

>        Would someone from Apple or someone who has messed around a lot with
>the SCSI drivers and GS/OS care to comment on *exactly* what error conditions
>arrise to give the generic cryptic error message: Hard1 may be damaged?
>After getting out of the text box, Orca then complains directory structure
>damaged... I've looked around the directory structure, obviouslly it isn't
>damaged, and Orca just isn't up to the times, but what is wrong?

If directory structures were always "obviously" damaged, hard disk recovery
would be a lot easier.  I don't suppose you've done something really difficult
like use a professional disk diagnostic program (like Mr. Fixit in Prosel) to
verify that nothing is wrong?

The error in question ($51) comes when an FST has determined that something is
amiss in the directory.  The exact causes will vary from file system to file
system.  The ProDOS FST checks many things built into the disk structure that
ProDOS 8 normally leaves alone - forwards and backwards links in directories,
bitmap blocks matching physical blocks, blocks being doubly allocated, etc.
These things aren't guaranteed.

The most likely cause of a "damaged" directory that vanishes when you go to P8
is memory trashing.  The ProDOS FST normally caches directory blocks, and if
someone trashes them in memory it will detect a "damaged" directory structure
when it tries to read.  It will actually damage the directory if it tries to
write a trashed block to disk.  You might try running the Prosel disk repair
utility under Prosel 16 and then under Prosel 8.  If problems are present with
the former and absent with the latter, I'd bet someone's stomping on the cache.

>UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!dougm               Compuserve: 70611,2215
>ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!dougm@nosc.mil                      ALPE: DougMac
>INET: dougm@pnet51.cts.com                                   GENIE: D.MCINTYRE1

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."