[comp.sys.apple] comp.binaries.apple2

nakada@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (paul nakada) (03/09/88)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
sorry...  io was sorely mistaken about the name of the newsgroup.. it should
be COMP.BINARIES.APPLE2 ....    all subsequent votes should include the name
of the newsgroup along with the vote...   I'm sorry for any inconveniences..
rememeber COMP.BINARIES.APPLE2
-paul

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
 Paul Nakada '89  #8-)                          nakada@husc4.harvard.edu
 Harvard College                                     nakada@husc4.bitnet
 Cambridge, MA       {ihnp4!think, seismo, rutgers}!harvard!husc4!nakada
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (03/23/88)

As I recall, *someone* was/is collecting votes for the

        comp.binaries.apple2

newsgroup; if you haven't voted then PLEASE do so and,
would that person please send us all an update on how
the voting is going, who voted (if you could post the
list of names then we'd know if you got all the YES
votes) and when the deadline is for voting on creation
of this new *sorely needed* newsgroup?

Thanks!

Apple ][ forever.

P.S.  Won't they have to put in a A/UX newsgroup soon?

--
Patt Haring                 {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat Public Access Unix (212) 879-9031 - System Operator

Three aspects of wisdom:  intelligence, justice & kindness.

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (04/08/88)

I don't understand it.  The dangers of promiscuous computing having been
well demonstrated and explained to all and yet there are 185 presumably
technically sophisticated people out there willing to risk the
 integrity
of their data to software of essentially unknown provenance.  Must have
all believed the CNN story that an adequate defense can be bought for a
couple of hundred bucks.

abc@BRL.ARPA (Brint Cooper) (04/09/88)

After reading the attached, I turned  to the RISKS-DIGEST only to find
two reports of NEW virus programs disseminated to unwitting users of
personal computers, at least one  of which  may have been an Apple.

Sigh...perhaps the Risks Digest should be required reading for
Info-Apple subscribers.  (ONLY KIDDING, FOLKS, ONLY KIDDING to make a
point.)

_Brint

|----- Forwarded message # 1:

|----- End of forwarded messages

scott@geowhiz.UUCP (Scott Kempf) (04/10/88)

In article <880408163619.772905@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:
>I don't understand it.  The dangers of promiscuous computing having been
>well demonstrated and explained to all and yet there are 185 presumably
>technically sophisticated people out there willing to risk the integrity
>of their data to software of essentially unknown provenance.  Must have
>all believed the CNN story that an adequate defense can be bought for a
>couple of hundred bucks.

You forgot something:

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
 :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

At least I hope you did.  (I hate to think of you respone to VD and AIDS :-)

					Scott

Scott Kempf                          Blue itself teaches us blue.  -Bill Ranson
MAIL:   1302 Rutledge St., Madison, WI  53703    PHONE:  (608) 255-6205  (home)
UUCP:   {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4}!uwvax!geowhiz!scott
ARPA:   geowhiz!scott@spool.wisc.edu             PHONE:  (608) 262-6154  (work)
BITNET: scott%geowhiz.uucp%spool.wisc.edu@wiscvm.bitnet

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (04/11/88)

There are a lot of smart-alecs out there who are comparing a binaries
group to having promiscous sex.  I personally would rather consider it to
be similar to a public library - someone can certainly put a book in the
library that contains lies and could cause me to bring a lot of harm upon
myself if I were not careful enough.  But if I do my research, then I can
use the books without fear of legal litigation.

Lets drop these aids analogies - computer crashing is caused by a deliberate
attempt to harm someone else - by someone who has so little consience
that they write a program to try to trash someone elses computer.  AIDS is
a diease whose cause is not known, but it is doubtful that it is a genetically
engineered virus created to cause the death of hundreds of thousands of
people just for the fun of it.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (04/11/88)

In article <880408163619.772905@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:
>I don't understand it.  The dangers of promiscuous computing having been
>well demonstrated and explained to all and yet there are 185 presumably
>technically sophisticated people out there willing to risk the
> integrity
>of their data to software of essentially unknown provenance.  Must have
>all believed the CNN story that an adequate defense can be bought for a
>couple of hundred bucks.

Oh, give me a break...  I'm gonna flame here a bit. . .

No one is going to force *you* to download a program and run it on your
chock full 40 meg hard disk.  Dont' tell me I can't.

comp.binaries.apple2 would certainly not be restricted to binaries only, as
I fully intend to put out *my* source code as well as execables.

And what about the other comp.binaries.*?  And what about comp.sources on
the USENET whereby millions of folk get source code (as well as code for
various other machines), where a trojan horse or virous could *rally* do
damage.  So why do they keep doing it?

Viri and other modern computer infections are a fact of life.  If they can
get into comercial grade software, then what's the point in protecting
yourself us?

At least here, there is a little more security, in that given enough
knowledge one can *almost* always find out who posted what.  Then you can
maybe sue him if you want. (Well, I don't know.  Sounded good when I typed
it :-).

I for one will continue to take stuff off the net and the server, and give
them a spin.  Esp. if I know the people, or can get the source.  Since I
generally want the source to my programs anyway, I feel I am taking less of
a chance getting "PD" software (or shareware) than buying it. Not only do I
know *what* the program does, but I can fix bugs, without having to wait for
the "next release", which may never come.

Think about *that*.

Sean the flamest Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET

laba-4an@web6e.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (04/11/88)

I think that someone (hey, why not me?) should set down certain guidelines
for posting to comp.apple2.binaries.

Specifically, all submissions should contain the author's name, how he can
be reached for comments/questions/sources, and a version number or date
for the program.

If the person posting it is not the author, then he should also put his
name, address (e-mail or snail), and perhaps a few words about where it
came from and any possible doubts about its integrity.

I don't think that all those people running around shrieking "apple AIDS!"
should be given much attention, but this is a real problem, and if something
DOES go wrong I would like to know who is responsible for the problems.

--
laba-4an@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

"Gee, ya suppose LaRouche has an Apple?"

scott@geowhiz.UUCP (Scott Kempf) (04/12/88)

In article <505@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>There are a lot of smart-alecs out there who are comparing a binaries
>group to having promiscous sex.

I am truly sorry for anyone I offended this way.

The point I wanted to make was:  Don't give up something good because of fear.
			You *can* protect yourself from both.

I did not say *promiscous* sex.

>Lets drop these aids analogies - computer crashing is caused by a deliberate
>attempt to harm someone else - by someone who has so little consience
>that they write a program to try to trash someone elses computer.  AIDS is
>a diease whose [source] is not known, but it is doubtful that it is a genetically
>engineered virus created to cause the death of hundreds of thousands of
>people just for the fun of it.

The next may be offend some people.  Use Rot13 if you want to read it.
It is an ironic statement about God and aids.
I will continue to do this on questionable things.  Lesson learned.

(Fbzr fnl gung Tbq vf gur fbhepr.  Vs ur vf V ubcr ur unf sha.)

>Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
>674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
>osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP) 	osu-cis!n8emr!lwv@PSUVAX1 (BITNET)
>We haven't inherited the world from our parents, but borrowed it from our children.

P.S.	I hope all this talk of viri (is that the plural) hasn't convinced
	anyone to give it a shot.  I know many people who would do it if they
	could, luckly they are the best programmers.

P.P.S.	I first heard of Cancer DOS (A DOS 3.3 that copied itself onto all
	"catalog"ed disks.) around five years ago.

					Scott
Scott Kempf                          Blue itself teaches us blue.  -Bill Ranson
MAIL:   1302 Rutledge St., Madison, WI  53703    PHONE:  (608) 255-6205  (home)
UUCP:   {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4}!uwvax!geowhiz!scott
ARPA:   geowhiz!scott@spool.wisc.edu             PHONE:  (608) 262-6154  (work)
BITNET: scott%geowhiz.uucp%spool.wisc.edu@wiscvm.bitnet

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.COM (Todd South) (04/12/88)

Okay the vote has passed and the YES people have it!  So, what is now
in store for the beginning of the comp.binaries.apple2 group?  When will
we be hearing anything on applications for distribution being given out,
or sent to a distributing site that currently distributes the APPLE2-L
feeds for the various sites?

Also, I sent out the bouncing ball demo for the //gs (called CUBINATION)
to APPLE2-L a few days ago, folks.  I cannot tell if it has gone through
Chris and hit the distribution channels, though.  If so, someone please
email me and tell me if it worked okay.  Thanks

Todd South

 :-----------------------------------------------------------------------:
 | Todd South : Ewa Beach, HI ||| Pacific Proline: (808) 499-2831 2400bd |
 | Uucp: {nosc, ihnp4, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun!ihnp4}        |
 |                 ...!crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth            |
 | ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth@nosc.MIL                 |
 | INET: tsouth@pro-pac.CTS.COM  BITNET: psuvax1!tsouth@pro-pac.CTS.COM  |
 :-----------------------------------------------------------------------:

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (04/12/88)

> Also, I sent out the bouncing ball demo for the //gs (called CUBINATION)
> to APPLE2-L a few days ago, folks.  I cannot tell if it has gone through
> Chris and hit the distribution channels, though.  If so, someone please
> email me and tell me if it worked okay.  Thanks

Yes, it made it to my mainframe in the wee hours of today (4/12/88).
Unfortunately, you sent the file in 6-bit packing mode which causes
numerous people problems (including me sometimes).  If you want
everyone to be able to take advantage of your contributions, please
send them in 4-bit packing mode.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                  (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU            ARPA: jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,  Bethesda, MD 20892

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (04/12/88)

It is all well and good to call for guidelines for posting - I am quite
in favor myself of such useful info.  But I have to warn you - look at
comp.binaries.ibm.pc - those folks have no moderator (just as we do not)
and they have a real travesty on their hands.  Commercial software posted,
old versions of software posted, virus software posted, lots of discussions
posted - all the things that a GOOD moderator would prevent.  Only a moderator
will be able to give us the peace of mind that we would get all postings
with the proper info in a reliable format.

Since we apparently dont have a moderator (no one volenteered did they?  I
didnt hear) I think we are in for a big headache.

--

drich@bgsuvax.UUCP (Daniel Rich) (04/13/88)

From article <510@n8emr.UUCP>, by lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden):

> ...look at
> comp.binaries.ibm.pc - those folks have no moderator (just as we do not)
> and they have a real travesty on their hands.  Commercial software posted,
> old versions of software posted, virus software posted, lots of discussions
> posted - all the things that a GOOD moderator would prevent.
> --
> Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
> 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
> osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP) 	osu-cis!n8emr!lwv@PSUVAX1 (BITNET)
> We haven't inherited the world from our parents, but borrowed it from our children.

  Since I am a regular reader of comp.binaries.ibm.pc (for work), and
voted for comp.binaries.apple2, I thought I should defend the group.

  First of all, commercial software has only been posted once (to my
knowledge).  Besides, all a moderator can do is look for a copyright
message.  This still proves nothing since many shareware programs
contain copyright messages.

  I know of NO cases of viruses being posted to the group.  There have
been several times that people have talked about it, but those were
mostly cases of misunderstandings or misreading of the documentation.

  So, the only thing that a moderator can really do is slow the
posting of software and prevent discussions.  I can't help but feel
that it isn't worth taking someone's time to do the same job that we
can do with the 'n' key....
--
	- Dan Rich	UUCP:	...!osu-cis!bgsuvax!drich
			CSNET:	drich@andy.bgsu.edu

 - Sometimes a majority simply means that all the fools are on the same side -

laba-4an@web3d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (04/13/88)

I just added comp.binaries.apple2!

If anyone chooses to post a discussion type letter, I think a brief flood
of his mbox would be in order.  If 183 people write to you with one purpose,
I think you will get the message in short order.

I hope that we are all mature enough by this stage to be able to have a
successful group without having a moderator.  Besides, the LISTSERV takes
forever to send stuff these days.

It would be a good idea to have ONE person post the new items from APPLE2-L
to comp.binaries; we don't need a flood of the same thing being posted by
altruistic news readers.  These things do need to be posted, though; after
all, the unavailability of APPLE2-L to some sites is a primary reason for
having the group in the first place!

Just remember: this is OUR group.

--
laba-4an@widow.berkeley.edu[.UUCP] (Andy McFadden)

"I'm, like, so mature, you know?  Ohmigod!"

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (04/14/88)

 Andy McFadden <agate!web3d.berkeley.edu!laba-4an@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
>Subject:      Re:  comp.binaries.apple2
>I just added comp.binaries.apple2!
>
>If anyone chooses to post a discussion type letter, I think a brief flood

Very nice! what IS the arpa address of comp.binaries.apple2?  Chris
Chung will need it in order to have APPLE2-L send postings to
comp.binaries.apple2 (and then he'll be able to remove all the
USENET addresses from APPLE2-L's mailing list and everything will
be MUCH cleaner).

Even though we may not need a moderator, every list needs a manager
(a binaries-apple-request or some such).  That person needs to
add APPLE2-L%BROWNVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu to the arpa distribution
so that bitnet subscribers receive posts to binaries.apple2.

---------------------
Disclaimer: If my employer tries to express my opinion, I'll sue
            for violation of the "look and feel" of this message!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

douglas@reed.UUCP (P Douglas Reeder) (04/14/88)

In article <8665@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> laba-4an@web3d.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Andy McFadden) writes:
>It would be a good idea to have ONE person post the new items from APPLE2-L
>to comp.binaries;

And vice versa.

--
Doug Reeder                           USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!douglas
10 Cyclopedia Square             from BITNET: douglas@reed.UUCP

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (04/15/88)

Sewall and others,
Please note that comp.binaries.apple2 is NOT an ARPA mailing list and so
does not have an ARPA address, nor does it have a '-request' mechanishm.
Usenet mthods are that a site subscribes to a group reception and then
individual users subscribe as permitted.

If someone in ARPA-land wants to set up an ARPA gateway to this (and if
you have a separate apple2 mailing group and you want to gateway THAT to
us) feel free to do so!

--

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (04/16/88)

In article <4379@husc6.harvard.edu> nakada@husc7.UUCP (Paul Nakada) writes:
>ALTHOUGH I WAS ASSURED THAT NOTHING BAD WOULD COME OF IT, I WAS TOLD THAT
>THIS KIND OF POSTING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED...  PLEASE POST WITH MODERATION!

Told by whom (the unbiquitous "they" no doubt)?

What happens if each of the 182 (185? whatever) persons who voted FOR
comp.binaries posts 7 files in one day (perhaps "they" would get the
idea that the newsgroup should have existed all along).

It appears that aside from making it a little easier for a few people
to recieve files, comp.binaries.apple2 buys little because it doesn't
archive files.  What do you get that wasn't obtainable from APPLE2-L
(which DOES archive, but isn't easily reachable -- I AM exchanging
mail with listserv's author about that by the way; someday APPLE2-L
WILL be able to send files to any legal rfc822 address :)?

Since APPLE2-L maintains an archive, all the more important for
APPE2-L to receive copies of binaries.apple2 (and vice versa).
Surely every newslist has SOMEONE who looks after it (even if
benignly :-) as Brint Cooper does for info-apple).  There needs
to be a feed set up to APPLE2-L%BROWNVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu.

Also, I assume that like comp.sys.apple, comp.sys.mac, comp.sys.misc,
comp.sys.ibm.pc, ad nausium, there is an arpanet <apple-binaries@???.arpa>
somewhere?  Anybody have that address?  Paul?

---------------------
Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (04/16/88)

I thought the whole idea was to cross link APPLE2-L and
comp.binaries.apple2 (a LOT of us voted for comp.binaries with
that understanding).  If binaries is USENET only and doesn't
archive, then I fail to see ANY utility (what are you getting
that you didn't get from APPLE2-L?).

Since arpa addresses can reach APPLE2-L, there needn't be a parallel
arpa list (I had assumed that was SOP, oops), BUT there does need to be a
way to send postings to comp.binaries.apple2 along to APPLE2-L AND an
address that LISTSERV@BROWNVM can recognize for delivery of file
to comp.binaries.apple2 (I expect Chris will be purging USENET
addresses from the LISTSERV list shortly).

Grant Delaney posted the 2 APPLES CDA today (I guess all you IIgs
owners on USENET got that from Genie/Compuserve/whatever already,
huh).  Grant's in the cdn domain on arpa, has he a way of getting
the file to comp.binaries?

As it stands USENET looks more like a EUNICH'S network from here!

---------------------
Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

lwv@n8emr.UUCP ("Larry W. Virden") (04/16/88)

The idea of comp.binaries.apple2 was NEVER to make it usenet only in my mind.
BUT, it IS only a USENET group - ie, we have no jurisdiction in arpa to create
government sponsered mailing lists, nor do we have any jurisdiction in bitnet
land to create gateways, etc.  The whole idea for comp.binaries.apple2 is
so that those items currently going into apple2-l and not to the 3600 folks
who ONLY get usenet can get out to the rest of the usenet world.  Likewise,
it makes it possible - with the proper setup by indivduals, for the rest
of the usenet world to get things back into apple2-l

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (04/18/88)

In article <8804151338.aa01657@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:
-->It appears that aside from making it a little easier for a few people
-->to recieve files, comp.binaries.apple2 buys little because it doesn't
-->archive files.  What do you get that wasn't obtainable from APPLE2-L
-->(which DOES archive, but isn't easily reachable -- I AM exchanging
-->mail with listserv's author about that by the way; someday APPLE2-L
-->WILL be able to send files to any legal rfc822 address :)?
-->
The 'only' folks that comp.binaries.apple2 makes things easier for is the
6000-8000 sites which ONLY have access via uucp to usenet - sorry, but that
is currently the case.  What this does is let these folks contribute and
receive contributions.  As for 'archiving' perhaps someone should contact
Rick Adams at uunet and see if he perhaps saves binaries contributions -
uunet is the major archiving site on usenet at this time.

-->Since APPLE2-L maintains an archive, all the more important for
-->APPE2-L to receive copies of binaries.apple2 (and vice versa).
-->Surely every newslist has SOMEONE who looks after it (even if
-->benignly :-) as Brint Cooper does for info-apple).  There needs

Here is a major misunderstanding by all Bitnetters and perhaps other networkers.
Usenet has two modes.  A moderated group acts as a 'newslist' or mailing list
- there is a central contact thru whom all postings go.

BUT, the majority of groups are unmoderated.  Consider these as if they
were hundreds of BBS boards WITHOUT A SYSOP!  There is NO ONE in charge
of comp.sys.apple in usenet - all messages go out in all directions to all
receivers.  What Brint does I assume is manage a moderated news list on
arpanet for the Apple2 readers.  He must receive comp.sys.apple via one of
the various machines he has contacts thru and then provides a service of
gatewaying these into info-apple.  BUT, usenet - itself - provides no such
service.  It is an anarchy of sorts, with the net.gods of news.groups, etc.
serving as overall managers of the amount of network traffic coming thru
the major sites.  But there is NO one in the usenet area who takes care
of subscription requests, dropping of subscription requests, providing files
to other machines, etc.  We just have hundreds of non-academic sites out here
connected by modems with a mutally agreed upon format for individual
articles (for the most part).  There basically is no comperable concept
for it in the rest of the world.  There is no organization like fidonets,
no major author like proline, no forum sysops like compuserve, no roundtable
coordinator like Genie, etc.  Just a free-for-all!
--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)	osu-cis!n8emr!lwv@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (BITNET)
We haven't inherited the world from our parents, but borrowed it from our children.

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (04/18/88)

> I thought the whole idea was to cross link APPLE2-L and
> comp.binaries.apple2 (a LOT of us voted for comp.binaries with
> that understanding).  If binaries is USENET only and doesn't
> archive, then I fail to see ANY utility (what are you getting
> that you didn't get from APPLE2-L?).

I agree with Murphy's comments completely.

nakada@husc7.HARVARD.EDU (Paul Nakada) (04/18/88)

:
:-------------------------------------------------------------------
:J. Douglas Ashbrook                                  (301) 496-5181
:BITNET: JDA@NIHCU            ARPA: jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
:National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,  Bethesda, MD 20892

i am in pthe process of gaining permission for an  anonymous ftp site for
arpanet users...  we currently have a pds library suporting mac stuff, so
it wouldn't be too hard to do...  i am currently keeping an archive persoanlly
until the pds account can be settled...  hope this helps...
-paul

j3a@psueclb.BITNET (07/11/88)

What in the heck happened to comp.binaries.apple2?  It isn't listed in the
list of news topics.

                J3A@psuecl

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.COM (Morgan Davis) (08/08/88)

Maybe I'm all wet, but I thought I was asking about comp.BINARIES.apple2,
not comp.SYS.apple.  Someone had asked me to post a program to comp.binaries,
but I don't know the address there.

Recall, I'm on a mail-only system (ProLine running under ProDOS).  We don't
have any "postnews" system here.

------ Forwarded Message #1 ------
Date:     Sun, 7 Aug 88 11:29:48 EDT
Ppath: pro-sol!mdavis
From: Info-Apple-Request <pnet01!crash!BRL.MIL!wmapple>
To: pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis
Subject:  Re: comp.binaries.apple2

The literal answer to your question is  'info-apple@brl.mil.'  You
don't, in fact, write to comp.sys.apple; it comes to you if your host
gets Usenet News.  And if it does, then you have 'postnews' software
which enables you to post to any of the groups.

_Brint
------------

    UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis
 ProLine: mdavis@pro-sol
 ARPANet: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil
InterNet: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com

>Maybe I'm all wet, but I thought I was asking about comp.BINARIES.apple2,
>not comp.SYS.apple.  Someone had asked me to post a program to comp.binaries,
>but I don't know the address there.

If you aren't on USENET, send what you have to post to:
apple2-l@BrownVM.BITNET

Chris Chung at Brown sends Paul Nakada APPLE2-L files for posting to
comp.BINARIES.apple2 and Paul sends Chris comp.binaries.apple2 files for
posting to APPLE2-L.  It's not super speedy, but the system does work.

Unless there's been a recent chang, Pro-Sol, and the other ProLines receive
APPLE2-L as a redistribution from Crash.CTS.COM

Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

** I've been on vacation for two weeks; still catching up with the mail **

kirk@pro-realm.cts.com (Kirk Kamberg) (02/10/90)

Could the people uploading software to comp.binaries *please* check it out
first before sending? The sysops on the Proline network download every posting
to comp.binaries.apple2, and it is a real drag to find out what you have been
transferring for the last five hours is corrupted. (Don't want to give Ma Bell
too much money!) I am NOT saying don't upload. Comp.binaries is where I get
some good programs. Please just make sure that they work first. Thanks!

        Kirk

Pro-Realm         | Proline: kirk@pro-realm
3/12/2400 baud    | BITNET: kirk%pro-realm.cts.com@nosc.mil
(914) 691-3863    | UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-realm!kirk
My opinions only! | ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-realm!kirk

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (02/26/90)

comp.sys.apple is about to be renamed comp.sys.apple2.  [Loud cheers from the
audience.]  I have a question, though.  comp.binaries.apple2 already makes
quite clear that it has files for the Apple II.  Was it called, at one time,
comp.binaries.apple?  Was it Mac encroachment that caused the name change?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_  Apple II: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb26.121010.17683@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) writes:
>comp.sys.apple is about to be renamed comp.sys.apple2.  [Loud cheers from the
>audience.]  I have a question, though.  comp.binaries.apple2 already makes
>quite clear that it has files for the Apple II.  Was it called, at one time,
>comp.binaries.apple?  Was it Mac encroachment that caused the name change?
>Inquiring minds want to know!

No, I believe it was called that when it was named on purpose to
avoid mac encroachment.  If memory serves me correctly (I haven't
been doing so good in this area lately folks) Comp.binaries.apple2
was created just last year or so...

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609   there is much to be done.
If my next computer isn't a IIgs, it won't be an apple... Me.

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (02/27/90)

In article <9161@wpi.wpi.edu> greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:
   In article <1990Feb26.121010.17683@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) writes:
   >comp.sys.apple is about to be renamed comp.sys.apple2.  [Loud cheers from the
   >audience.]  I have a question, though.  comp.binaries.apple2 already makes

   been doing so good in this area lately folks) Comp.binaries.apple2
   was created just last year or so...

Yes, but does anyone remeber net.apple?  (i think.. it's been so
long)....  god.. questions in those days dealt with shape tables and
HTAB / VTAB...  with a few weirdo's :-) talking about bit map
graphics...  yuck!! :-)  ahh. the good old days...

-Paul Nakada
pnakada@oracle.com