[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS Hack #1

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (02/26/90)

Well folks, here it is: My very first GS/OS hack.  Back in the days of DOS 3.3,
if there wasn't a way to do something or do it the way you wanted, you hacked
DOS.  Unfortunately, times have changed some.  GS/OS is a terribly (wonderful)
complex piece of software, and playing with its internals is not recommended
(right, Matt D?).  However, that doesn't mean that the inventive spirit can't
find new ways to manifest itself.

After reading the discussion of easter eggs, and in particular the Expressload
logo during boot, I decided it would flash up my GS and make it look more
impressive to non-privileged non-Apple II owners (warning: personal bias
manifestation alert), if that logo was there ALL THE TIME.

Anyway, remember my hacking days, I pulled out Copy ][+, and did a search
for LDA $C025 (keyboard mod key register).  Lo and behold I found it, and
doing a bit of disassembling and patching, I did it!

If you want to do the same, just grab your trusy sector editor (prodos only,
3.5" compatible :-) and do a search for the hex sequence 29 C0 C9 C0 D0 2F.
When you found it, check above these bytes to make sure there's a AD 25 C0
in there too (I limited the bytes to make the search go quicker).  Then
just change the D0 2F to EA EA (NOP NOP), and you've done it.  Write the
block back out and you have one impressive-er GS/OS boot screen.

Now all we need is the GS/OS version number in the lower corner of the
"Welcome to the Apple //GS". (Speaking of which...)

[Raising My Hand]
Mr. Software Engineering, can we please get rid of that silly "Welcome to
Apple //GS"?  That phrase doesn't even make semantic sense in english.
"Welcome to Macintosh" is more personable, as Mac could be the name of a
place (and probably is).  How about "Aren't you glad bought a //gs", or
"Please wait while loading GS/OS", or "Go take a nap, I'll let you know when
I'm done" (just kidding, Sys 5.0 is G R E A T !).

[End of SoapBox]

Thank you all for listening. Perhaps next week's hack will be a Finder
Randomize Icons command, to complement the Clean Up command.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | This message was posted to thousands of machines
Junior/Computer Engineering | throughout the entire civilized world. It cost

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb26.030214.15564@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:

> After reading the discussion of easter eggs, and in particular the Expressload
> logo during boot, I decided it would flash up my GS and make it look more
> impressive to non-privileged non-Apple II owners (warning: personal bias
> manifestation alert), if that logo was there ALL THE TIME.

> If you want to do the same, just grab your trusy sector editor (prodos only,
> 3.5" compatible :-) and do a search for the hex sequence 29 C0 C9 C0 D0 2F.
> When you found it, check above these bytes to make sure there's a AD 25 C0
> in there too (I limited the bytes to make the search go quicker).  Then
> just change the D0 2F to EA EA (NOP NOP), and you've done it.  Write the
> block back out and you have one impressive-er GS/OS boot screen.

This seems to be reasonably safe, but I thought I might add some facts:
The file you're editing is *:System:ExpressLoad; the two bytes to be nop'd
are at block $15, offset $003B-003C; you should see AF 25 C0 00 just before
the AND, CMP, BNE sequence as opposed to AD 25 C0.

> [Raising My Hand]
> Mr. Software Engineering, can we please get rid of that silly "Welcome to
> Apple //GS"?  That phrase doesn't even make semantic sense in english.

It actually says "Welcome to the IIgs" which is a bit less cumbersome than
what you were thinking it said.

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb26.030214.15564@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>[...] can we please get rid of that silly "Welcome to
>Apple //GS"?  That phrase doesn't even make semantic sense in english.

Mine seems to say "Welcome to the IIgs"...is that okay?
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

In article <1990Feb26.030214.15564@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:

>Anyway, remember my hacking days, I pulled out Copy ][+, and did a search
>for LDA $C025 (keyboard mod key register).  Lo and behold I found it, and
>doing a bit of disassembling and patching, I did it!
>
>Jawaid Bazyar               | This message was posted to thousands of machines

Your disassembly is lacking in my eyes, for this same task can be accomplished
*without* patching any GS/OS code (which will *never* be a good idea for
people outside Apple).

Those who know the way but found it through conversation are not allowed to
post it.  Let him find it himself.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (02/27/90)

In article <38997@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) writes:
>In article <1990Feb26.030214.15564@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>>[...] can we please get rid of that silly "Welcome to
>>Apple //GS"?  That phrase doesn't even make semantic sense in english.
>
>Mine seems to say "Welcome to the IIgs"...is that okay?

   Major OOPS here (and I don't mean Object Oriented Programming).
   I guess I'm seeing things.  Must be all those transistor circuits I
   have to analyze.
   I didn't mean it to sound snotty, I wuz just actin dumb.

   But anyway, how about my other comment which got overlooked?  System
   software version in the title screen?  Not that _I_ can't tell the
   difference, but when I went to pick up 5.0 from the dealer HE didn't
   even know which version he was running.  He claimed it was 5.0, but
   when he formatted a disk it went to that old text screen format
   dialog.  I'm sure it'd help a lot of people keep things straight.
   Especially for incremental upgrades (ala 5.0 -> 5.0.2).

In article <39004@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>In article <1990Feb26.030214.15564@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>>
>>Anyway, remember my hacking days, I pulled out Copy ][+, and did a search
>>for LDA $C025 (keyboard mod key register).  Lo and behold I found it, and
>>doing a bit of disassembling and patching, I did it!
>>
>>Jawaid Bazyar               | This message was posted to thousands of machines
>
>Your disassembly is lacking in my eyes, for this same task can be accomplished
>*without* patching any GS/OS code (which will *never* be a good idea for
>people outside Apple).
>
>Those who know the way but found it through conversation are not allowed to
>post it.  Let him find it himself.

   Fine.  We can play the game your way.
   For those who like to do things Apple's way, you can change the AuxType
of the Expressload file to $5254, which is hex for "RT", which I assume are
the initials of one Rob Turner, of the GS/OS programming team.
   Kudos to Rob.

   Do I get a cookie?

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb26.030214.15564@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
> Well folks, here it is: My very first GS/OS hack.  Back in the days of DOS 3.3,
> if there wasn't a way to do something or do it the way you wanted, you hacked
> DOS
> However, that doesn't mean that the inventive spirit can't
> find new ways to manifest itself.
>
> [Raising My Hand]
> Mr. Software Engineering, can we please get rid of that silly "Welcome to
> Apple //GS"?  That phrase doesn't even make semantic sense in english.
> "Welcome to Macintosh" is more personable, as Mac could be the name of a
> place (and probably is).  How about "Aren't you glad bought a //gs", or
> "Please wait while loading GS/OS", or "Go take a nap, I'll let you know when
> I'm done" (just kidding, Sys 5.0 is G R E A T !).
>
> [End of SoapBox]
>
> Jawaid Bazyar               | This message was posted to thousands of machines

As a hacker and computer engineer why didn't you just change the message?
Yeh, I know, it's in ROM, but I couldn't help it :-).

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *

!

rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com (Russel Michel) (02/28/90)

awaid Bazyar) writes:
>[...] can we please get rid of that silly "Welcome to
>Apple //GS"?  That phrase doesn't even make semantic sense in english.

Mine says "Death Before MS-DOS!"  How's that grab ya?

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rmichel
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rmichel@nosc.mil
INET: rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com