[comp.sys.apple] CMS SCSI ROM Upgrade

terrys@pro-europa.cts.com (Terry Stockdale) (02/23/90)

Does anyone know anything about the CMS "SCSI ROM Upgrade" advertised
for $25 in Programs Plus' 2/90 ad?  I have a CMS SD60-A2S 60 meg system.
I am looking for GS/OS compatibility with the Apple SCSI card, especially
a big speed improvement.  Is this it?  Also, will it still have the "delay
startup until drive gets up to speed" that is in the old interface card,
or does it require me to wait until the drive is up to speed before turning
on the computer?

Should I just upgrade to Apple's card?  Mail preferred, unless you want to
educate everyone.
Terry Stockdale  --  Houston, Texas
ProLine : terrys@pro-europa

DARROW@ITHACA.BITNET ("Frank W. Darrow") (02/23/90)

I installed the upgrade according to the information supplied with it and
then started to get many I/O errors, even after low level format and so on.
I should note that I do have a TransWarpGS installed.

No, the upgrade does not have the "delay startup until drive gets up to
speed" so you have to wait between turing the drive on and boot.  That was
also an annoyance to me.

I reinstalled my orginal ROM and have been meaning to give CMS a call.  So
I would appreciate some information (hopefully not tons) posted to educate
me (and maybe others, too?).

----------

Frank W. Darrow, Chemistry Dept., Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY 14850
DARROW@ITHACA.BITNET                                (607) 274-3991

sellswor@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Ellsworth) (02/24/90)

In article <9002231439.AA08769@apple.com> DARROW@ITHACA.BITNET ("Frank W. Darrow") writes:
>I installed the upgrade according to the information supplied with it and
>then started to get many I/O errors, even after low level format and so on.
>I should note that I do have a TransWarpGS installed.

  This did not happen to me; I have had relatively decent luck with it I
suppose...

>No, the upgrade does not have the "delay startup until drive gets up to
>speed" so you have to wait between turing the drive on and boot.  That was
>also an annoyance to me.

  I actually approve of it since the computer will now skip my HD if I do not
turn it on, a great boon to virus-paranoid game players.  :)

  It seems to work reasonably well; for unattended power-off reboots, I use a
3.5 floppy with a thirty second delay under basic.system.

>I reinstalled my orginal ROM and have been meaning to give CMS a call.  So
>I would appreciate some information (hopefully not tons) posted to educate
>me (and maybe others, too?).

  Thus far, it seems somewhat better to me.  I reformatted it with a 1:1
interleave (The best that Prosel-16 could find) and am happily chugging
along.  One annoyance; my CMS card did not come with quite enough jumpers,
so I am missing about a meg of disk space.  Sometime, I will go down to Radio
Shack to get some more of them, but it is a tad annoying since my
configuration is hardly unusual.

>Frank W. Darrow, Chemistry Dept., Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY 14850
>DARROW@ITHACA.BITNET                                (607) 274-3991

                                   Scott Ellsworth
                                   SELLSWOR@HMCVAX
                                   sellswor@jarthur.claremont.edu
   B.S. in Physics and Computers, May 1989.  Reasonable rates.  Inquire within
   M.S  in Applied Mathematics, May 1990 available for small additional fee.
--
                                   Scott Ellsworth
                                   SELLSWOR@HMCVAX

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (02/28/90)

> Does anyone know anything about the CMS "SCSI ROM Upgrade" advertised
> for $25 in Programs Plus' 2/90 ad?  I have a CMS SD60-A2S 60 meg system.
> I am looking for GS/OS compatibility with the Apple SCSI card, especially
> a big speed improvement.  Is this it?  Also, will it still have the "delay
> startup until drive gets up to speed" that is in the old interface card,
> or does it require me to wait until the drive is up to speed before turning
> on the computer?
>
> Should I just upgrade to Apple's card?  Mail preferred, unless you want to
> educate everyone.
> Terry Stockdale  --  Houston, Texas
> ProLine : terrys@pro-europa

The CMS ROM "upgrade" does NOT provide compatibility with Apple's SCSI card,
unless you count the quirk that requires the drive to be fully powered up and
up to speed before you power up your computer.  The new ROM's contribution to
GS/OS compatibility is that the thermometer now works, big deal, huh.  I sent
mine back.  There is a very minor speed improvement, < 10% possible under some
circumstances.

I am going to get an Apple card soon.  Even sooner, if the rumored new Apple
SCSI card comes out.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!samt
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!samt@nosc.mil
INET: samt@pro-europa.cts.com