[comp.sys.apple] Zmodem's in ProTERM

In article <2311@ultb.isc.rit.edu> lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Les Barstow: Phoenix) writes:
>Umm, last I checked, there was no such thing as 4K-XMODEM....
>1K XMODEM, yes, but 4K?  That's not in the specs.  If you're talking
>about ZMODEM, that's different, but I don't know of any program for an
>Apple ][ which does ZMODEM yet...

I've heard of 4K Xmodem too. I don't know if there's a patch around though
(like there is for RMODEM or some other protocol I'd never heard of before)..

But Les Barstow is wrong.  ProTERM, God's gift to terminal programs (if there
was a such thing as a God), has Zmodem! I've heard it's basically useless
unless you're using a GS and downloading straight to a RAMDISK... but it
might work downloading to a RAMDISK on pre GSes too..  [btw: Ascii Express
holds a distant second in my book]

--
No floptical drives. Both companies said no. GET A CARTRIDGE drive instead
to spite them.

kgs@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Kok G Sang) (02/28/90)

In article <6862@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>But Les Barstow is wrong.  ProTERM, God's gift to terminal programs (if there
>was a such thing as a God), has Zmodem! I've heard it's basically useless
>unless you're using a GS and downloading straight to a RAMDISK... but it
>might work downloading to a RAMDISK on pre GSes too..  [btw: Ascii Express
>holds a distant second in my book]

I don't believe ProTERM's Zmodem protocol is the actual thing.  From what I
heard, it doesn't allow you to resume transfer once a transfer has been
aborted, i.e., continue transfer from where it last aborted w/o having to
re-send the whole file.

-Kok

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (02/28/90)

kgs@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Kok G Sang) writes:
> I don't believe ProTERM's Zmodem protocol is the actual thing.  From what I
> heard, it doesn't allow you to resume transfer once a transfer has been
> aborted, i.e., continue transfer from where it last aborted w/o having to
> re-send the whole file.

  Yeah, I've tried using ProTERM's Zmodem, and have found that it does
NOT work with our Unix system's zmodem.  From what I understand,
ProTERM's doesn't support sliding windows (a BIG plus for Zmodem), it
won't continue an aborted transfer, and a few other things.  It would
be nice to have a full-blown Zmodem for the Apple II...

> -Kok

		-Greg T.

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/28/90)

In article <6862@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>But Les Barstow is wrong.  ProTERM, God's gift to terminal programs (if there
>was a such thing as a God), has Zmodem! I've heard it's basically useless
>unless you're using a GS and downloading straight to a RAMDISK... but it
>might work downloading to a RAMDISK on pre GSes too..  [btw: Ascii Express
>holds a distant second in my book]

Proterm 2.1 performs like a champ on my Laser 128ex using Zmodem,
but then I do have a full 1 Meg ramdisk in slot 5.

The problem with zmodem is that it moves so fast, if the computer waits
to write to disk, the next block has been messed up already...

To get zmodem to work properly under Proterm a person practically has
to use a ramdisk.

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609   there is much to be done.
If my next computer isn't a IIgs, it won't be an apple... Me.

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (02/28/90)

In article <sZuocmi00WB8ASIlI7@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:
>  Yeah, I've tried using ProTERM's Zmodem, and have found that it does
>NOT work with our Unix system's zmodem.  From what I understand,
>ProTERM's doesn't support sliding windows (a BIG plus for Zmodem), it
>won't continue an aborted transfer, and a few other things.  It would
>be nice to have a full-blown Zmodem for the Apple II...

Same here, but maybe not quite the same.  I can upload ZMODEM to the local UNIX
boxes with no problem.  When I try to download, though, it gives me a ton of
errors.  However, even XMODEM is an error-correcting protocol, right?  ZMODEM
just plugs on, and I can eventually get at least one file through.  Whether it
will work with batch transfers, I'm not sure.  (I think it does, though.)  It
would be nice to see a full ZMODEM that supported error correction, data
compression, and the rest of it.  I have a paper on the ZMODEM protocol that
I got from somewhere and would like to try writing a full ZMODEM.  If you want
a copy, let me know and I'll mail it to you.  If there's enough interest, I'll
post the thing.

Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_  Apple II: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!