[comp.sys.apple] Looking for a mono-spaced "Shaston 8" font

JDA@CU.NIH.GOV ("Doug Ashbrook") (02/21/90)

In his review of TML Pascal II in the Winter issue (i.e., the final
one :-( ) of Call -A.P.P.L.E., Robert Hess wrote:

     "Using a font editor, I have created my own font that is quite
     similar to Shaston, but all characters are the same width."

I tried to build such a font but quickly decided that it would be a
lot of work since I could not figure out how to start with Shaston 8
(I assume that it is "built in" and that there is no such file).  If
I started with Shaston 16 and tried to make it smaller, the font
editor simply chopped off the top (or bottom) of the characters.  Has
anyone built such a font?  In lieu of that, does anyone know of an
EMAIL address for Robert Hess (he America Online address is
RobertHess, but I don't have an account there)?

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
JUST SAY NO!

MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) (02/22/90)

I created a mono-spaced font which is not exactly Shaston 8, but rather the tex
t mode font (in 640 mode it looks identical to normal 80 colum mode). I will be
 happy to mail you the font. Contact me if you are intrested.

                                    Nathan Srebro
                                    Haifa, Israel
   MAR21AA @ Technion.BITNET

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/22/90)

In article <9002201852.AA29628@alw.nih.gov> JDA@CU.NIH.GOV ("Doug Ashbrook") writes:
>In his review of TML Pascal II in the Winter issue (i.e., the final
>one :-( ) of Call -A.P.P.L.E., Robert Hess wrote:
>
>     "Using a font editor, I have created my own font that is quite
>     similar to Shaston, but all characters are the same width."

I don't see why this is necessary...look up SetFontFlags in the QuickDraw II
chapter of Toolbox Reference, Volume 2, and you'll see there is a bit to
make QuickDraw draw everything with the width of the "M" (and another bit to
make it use the width of the "0" instead, I believe).
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

roberth@microsoft.UUCP (Robert HESS) (02/28/90)

Doug Ashbrook writes:
>In his review of TML Pascal II in the Winter issue (i.e., the final
>one :-( ) of Call -A.P.P.L.E., Robert Hess wrote:
>
>     "Using a font editor, I have created my own font that is quite
>     similar to Shaston, but all characters are the same width."

To which David Lyons responds:
>I don't see why this is necessary...look up SetFontFlags in the
>QuickDraw II chapter of Toolbox Reference, Volume 2, and you'll see
>there is a bit to make QuickDraw draw everything with the width of the
>"M" (and another bit to make it use the width of the "0" instead, I
>believe).

David,

Thats what you get for being a programmer, most users can't modify the
code of the program they are using to utilize this feature. :->

In the above mentioned situation, I designed my font to be used with
TML's Pascal II compiler, because they didn't provide the capability
that you point out for implementing a fixed-pitch font. I *hate* coding
in a proportional font, and as shipped, the only way to do this with
their compiler, is to use the standard courier font, which I hate even
more :->

But even so, there are reasons why you would rather have a font that is
designed to be displayed at a fixed width. Take the 'i' character for
example. Many proportional fonts will not have any serif's on it, thus
making it as thin as possible. If you force this to be as wide as an
'M', or '0', this will cause too much white-space to surround the
character, and make it look improperly balanced in a word.

Hopefully, the (rumorware) System 6.0 will try to incorporate the new
Royal font technology that the Mac System 7.0 will use. I have seen some
of this in use here with PM, and am quite excited about its capabilities.

For others interested in this font:

I will try to remember to clean it up a little this weekend and binscii
it onto comp.binaries.apple2. (FYI: I used FontAsm to create this font)

     #####   ####### |	  Robert B. Hess, Microsoft Corp., Redmond, WA
   ####### #######   |	roberth@microsof.uu.net
  #### ##### ####    |	{decvax, uunet, uw-beaver}!microsof!roberth
   "...my opinions are strictly my own, and not those of my employer..."