[comp.sys.apple] MNP level 5 with Apple II series

legler@masig2.ocean.fsu.edu (David M. Legler) (02/28/90)

I recently bought a nice 2400 baud modem with level 5 MNP support only to
discover that the Apple II series will (according to the modem manual) NOT
support level 5 MNP modem protocol because of the lack of ability to do
hardware handshaking with the modem.  Looking at some of the Apple manuals
like the Super Serial Card,etc  it in fact doesn;t seem that Apple II's
support the RTS and CTS pins on RS-232 connections, not at least with the
SSC.  But in reading further, it seems that the RTS pin is sometimes
used for hardware handshaking with some printers.  Being a neophyte in
communications, I was wondering if anyone out there in Appledom has in
use a modem which supports level 5 MNP ?  Can you use level 5 ? Or more
generally can anyone help me out here... surely with all these smart
people out there (:-) on the net, there is someone who has experience
in this realm.

I would be most appreciative of any help, thanks.

--

Mr. David M. Legler           ||(904)644-1159 or 644-4581
Mesoscale Air-Sea Interaction ||Bitnet legler%masig1.ocean.fsu.edu@cunyvm

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (03/01/90)

In article <9002281406.AA15912@masig2.ocean.fsu.edu> legler@masig2.ocean.fsu.edu (David M. Legler) writes:

>I recently bought a nice 2400 baud modem with level 5 MNP support only to
>discover that the Apple II series will (according to the modem manual) NOT
>support level 5 MNP modem protocol because of the lack of ability to do
>hardware handshaking with the modem.  Looking at some of the Apple manuals
>
>I would be most appreciative of any help, thanks.
>
>--
>

>Mr. David M. Legler           ||(904)644-1159 or 644-4581
>Mesoscale Air-Sea Interaction ||Bitnet legler%masig1.ocean.fsu.edu@cunyvm
>          Group               ||SPAN   7480::"legler@masig1.ocean.fsu.edu"
>MS B-174   Love-012           ||Arpa   legler@masig1.ocean.fsu.edu(128.186.3.1)
>Florida State University      ||
>Tallahassee, FL  32306-3041   || "An Apple II a day, keeps the PC blues away"

   The maker of your modem is full of it.  For example, the Practical Peripher
als 2400 MNP 5 modem works great on a friend's GS.  I don't think MNP, if
the modem is designed right, has anything to do with the interface. It should
all be transparent.
   The 9600 baud modems with MNP 5 I've seen also all work fine on a GS.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | This message was posted to thousands of machines
Junior/Computer Engineering | throughout the entire civilized world. It cost

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/01/90)

legler@masig2.ocean.fsu.edu (David M. Legler) writes:

>I recently bought a nice 2400 baud modem with level 5 MNP support only to
>discover that the Apple II series will (according to the modem manual) NOT
>support level 5 MNP modem protocol because of the lack of ability to do
>hardware handshaking with the modem.

Every Apple Super Serial Card and compatible that use DB25's support full
hardware handshaking. I have personally verified this one both an Apple
SSC (too expensive) and an AST Envoy (which I have in my ][+ now). If your
serial card does not support the modem controls (DTR, DTE, RTS, CTS, etc.)
then you have been gipped.

However, your modem software must also support them and that may be a problem.
The IIGS modem port supports them, I believe proterm does (not sure), and
I don't know about kermit.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) (03/01/90)

In article <9002281406.AA15912@masig2.ocean.fsu.edu> legler@masig2.ocean.fsu.edu (David M. Legler) writes:
_
_
[...]

The SSC comes(or at least came) with a standard DB25 connector with a the
RS232C signals on the pins: RTS,CTS,DSR,DTR,DCD.  The IIc, for reasons best
known to its designers, has only one handshake in and one handshake out,
making it difficult to use for bullitin boards, but otherwise works with
most hardware handshaking.  What hardware handshaking lines there are on the
mini-circular serial connectors, I don't know.  Rest assured, the Apple can
do hardware handshaking.  I don't know what other problems might exist with
level 5 MNP modems, I don't know.

--
Doug Reeder                                   USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!reeder
from ARPA: tektronix!reed!reeder@berkeley.EDU BITNET: reeder@reed.BITNET

jeffd@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jeffrey Alan Ding) (03/01/90)

In article <9002281406.AA15912@masig2.ocean.fsu.edu> legler@masig2.ocean.fsu.edu (David M. Legler) writes:
>I recently bought a nice 2400 baud modem with level 5 MNP support only to
>discover that the Apple II series will (according to the modem manual) NOT
>support level 5 MNP modem protocol because of the lack of ability to do
>hardware handshaking with the modem.  Looking at some of the Apple manuals
>
>I would be most appreciative of any help, thanks.
>

>Mr. David M. Legler           ||(904)644-1159 or 644-4581

I've been using a 2400 baud modem with MNP level 5 for several months now with
no problem at all.  My modem is called the Bulletmodem from E-Tech Research.
It's been very reliable.  I use the modem with my Apple //c computer.

Handshaking between the modem and computer is necessary because the serial
transfer rate between modem and computer is faster when using MNP level 5 than
the line speed of the modem.  They call this the DTE data rate.  I can set
the data rate to any value from 300 to 19200 bps.  I like this feature the
best.  I set the terminal speed to 4800 baud, and no matter what speed the
modem connects at, I don't have to change the terminal speed or wonder if
it's set wrong.

My modem has 5 different handshaking protocols.  I use DTR/DSR flow control
because that is the only thing the //c port has.  Xon/Xoff flow control
is supported by the modem but I found out that it interferes with downloading.

One nice feature when using a set terminal speed is that I can evaluate how
well the computer can keep up with the modem.  My modem can print a list
of its configurations and S-registers.  I use this for the test.  At
4800 baud, the data is transfered succesfully to the computer.  During
scrolling, the modem send faster than what the computer can handle.  Thanks
to interupts, no data is lost.  At 9600 baud, the computer chokes.  I send
it an AT command and I don't even get the OK signal back.  I tried
several term programs including Kermit, Talk is Cheap, Zlink, and Mousetalk.
Talk is Cheap was the fastest in scrolling.  No program worked at 9600 baud.

My computer is only running at 1 MHz.

Jeffd@csd4.csd.uwm.edu