[comp.sys.apple] Looking for a good paint program deal

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/27/90)

I just discovered the fine art of colorizing clip art for desktop purposes, and
I find that the programs available to me (read pirated) each have their own
problems.

What I'm looking for is the following:

Reasonable set of tools: this isn't that much of a problem.

Good Fatbits support: really like paintworks gold's approach to it.

Good palette eccentricity support: PWG's 16 color 640 mode was perfect
	for colorizing background pictures. Palette conversion is a feature
	that seems to be sadly lacking in lots of programs. SHRConvert, IF
	it could remap palettes properly (it doesn't when I try it) would be
	worth keeping and paying for.

RUNS UNDER 5.0: I'm not paying for something that I have to reboot into and
	out of. I'd gladly pay something like $40 mail order for a program
	that can do most of what paintworks gold does and runs under 5.0.

Roger Coats is advertising something from Jem Software (MiniPaint-GS) for only
$19... anybody know how good this is? The ad (March Incider) claims that it is
"VERY Powerful"... maybe I should call their tech support but I want to hear
some real opinions if you guys have any.

Thanks in advance, reply by EMail please; I will summarize.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (03/02/90)

>Roger Coats is advertising something from Jem Software
>(MiniPaint-GS) for only $19... anybody know how good this
>is? The ad (March Incider) claims that it is "VERY Powerful"...
>maybe I should call their tech support but I want to hear
>some real opinions if you guys have any.

Although I have a biased opinion (I know Randy "JEM Software" Brandt,
and in fact have stuff published under JEM), I'll give it anyway.

MiniPaint is the pre-cursor to the upcoming Beagle Bros GS Paint program
(the price of MiniPaint includes a discount for the Paint Program).
Naturally, MiniPaint doesn't/won't have all the features of the BBros GS
Paint program, but it does have a lot (especially considering the price).

Mark Munz

PS. I've seen versions of the BBros GS Paint and I think it will blow PWG
    away -- then again, I drive into the Beagle office everyday. Like I
    said, I'm biased.