[comp.sys.apple] 4k-Xmodem

paulj@pro-generic.cts.com (Paul Johnson) (02/24/90)

        Has anyone out there (there = Anywhere on Earth!) made a patch for
ProTERM so that it can have 4k-Xmodem?  If so, please contact me through
private mail.
        Also!  Has anyone out there successfully made a Unix/8-bit Apple link
"networked-mail-wise"?  If so, once again, could you leave me mail privately.

                                                ..Thanks in advance..

                                        :: Paul Johnson ::
   UUCP: crash!pro-generic!paulj                Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
   ARPA: crash!pro-generic!paulj@nosc.mil   A
   INET: paulj@pro-generic.cts.co

lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Les Barstow: Phoenix) (02/26/90)

In article <300.infoapple.net@pro-generic> paulj@pro-generic.cts.com (Paul Johnson) writes:

>        Has anyone out there (there = Anywhere on Earth!) made a patch for
>ProTERM so that it can have 4k-Xmodem?  If so, please contact me through
>private mail.

Umm, last I checked, there was no such thing as 4K-XMODEM....
1K XMODEM, yes, but 4K?  That's not in the specs.  If you're talking
about ZMODEM, that's different, but I don't know of any program for an
Apple ][ which does ZMODEM yet...
--
Les Barstow      |RIT - A citadel of gleaming brick towering over a snowy swamp
SunSinger        |Money - That which pays the bills.  A dream never remembered.

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (02/27/90)

In article <2311@ultb.isc.rit.edu> lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Les Barstow: Phoenix) writes:
>about ZMODEM, that's different, but I don't know of any program for an
>Apple ][ which does ZMODEM yet...

ProTerm does ZMODEM.  (It doesn't support all of ZMODEM's features though--for
example, it doesn't do error recovery.)

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_  Apple II: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

barcan@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Davor Barcan) (02/27/90)

Barstow: Phoenix) writes:

>In article <300.infoapple.net@pro-generic> paulj@pro-generic.cts.com
>(Paul Johnson) writes:
>>
>>        Has anyone out there (there = Anywhere on Earth!) made a patch for
>>ProTERM so that it can have 4k-Xmodem?  If so, please contact me through
>>private mail.

I personally haven't heard of such a patch existing yet.  It MIGHT be
an easy patch if you knew the internals of ProTERM.  It possibly might
take a change in only a few bytes to make it work.

>Umm, last I checked, there was no such thing as 4K-XMODEM....
>1K XMODEM, yes, but 4K?  That's not in the specs.  If you're talking
>about ZMODEM, that's different, but I don't know of any program for an
>Apple ][ which does ZMODEM yet...

Well, last time I checked, there DID exist a 4K Xmodem.  If I'm not
mistaken, Morgan Davis did a document outlining the protocol.  That
was a few years ago too.  If you contact him (mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com),
he'd probably send you a copy.

Davor Barcan
Internet: barcan@cpsc.UCalgary.CA

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/27/90)

In article <2311@ultb.isc.rit.edu> lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Les Barstow: Phoenix) writes:

>Umm, last I checked, there was no such thing as 4K-XMODEM....
>1K XMODEM, yes, but 4K?  That's not in the specs.  If you're talking
>about ZMODEM, that's different, but I don't know of any program for an
>Apple ][ which does ZMODEM yet...

You mean besides Proterm 2.1, right?  Because Zmodem works
just ducky under proterm 2.1 for me.

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609   there is much to be done.
If my next computer isn't a IIgs, it won't be an apple... Me.

aj0@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Eric Mulholland) (02/27/90)

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:
>You mean besides Proterm 2.1, right?  Because Zmodem works
>just ducky under proterm 2.1 for me.

    4K xmodem does exist, Don Elton has it in his Talk is Cheap program.
At least hat's what I keep hearing.  I have some limited specs on the
protocol, I think it give me all the info but I'm not positive.  I could
always use a more complete description so I can implement it.
    I'll say the zmodem in Proterm is just ducky, a real quack!  I have
not been able to get it to work with sz/rz on unix nor with a local ms-dos
bbs.  This is with Proterm 2.1, selecting zmodem and batch.  I believe
someone else on the net (don't remember who) said that Proterm's zmodem
only implements a small subset of the protocol.  When I monitered the
serial flow once, proterm wasn't using the ascii format for the headers.
From the zmodem specs I have, zmodem is supposed to use them until both
ends know the other supports the binary format.

    On the topic of communications, what is the perfered method for cdas
wantting to use the serial port and keyboard?  I'd like to release a cda
version of my communication program, but don't know how to communicate
with the serial port or keyboard.  The current version is in Prodos 8
because I'm not rich enough to afford all the gs reference books.  Now
only if those books could come out in paperback.

--
     ____
 Y_,_|[]|   Eric Mulholland

rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com (Russel Michel) (02/28/90)

United Software Industries' MouseTalk has 4k-XModem capability; it does exist
in the Apple II world, but nothing else (that I know of) supports it.  Worked
great in direct modem transfers between two Apple II systems, but it's not
really very useful for other uses.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rmichel
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rmichel@nosc.mil
INET: rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com

lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Les Barstow: Phoenix) (03/01/90)

I stand corrected on the whereabouts of ZMODEM on Apples...

Suppose I'm just not up to spending that kind of money to get the
program (ProTerm).

Les Barstow
--
Les Barstow      |RIT - A citadel of gleaming brick towering over a snowy swamp
SunSinger        |Money - That which pays the bills.  A dream never remembered.
Phoenix rising...+-------------------------------------------------------------
LMB7421@ritvax.bitnet | lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu |...rochester!rit!ultb!lmb7421

BOOZ@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU (Bill Booz) (03/01/90)

According to the list on the screen of my ProTERM, it supports Z-Modem.  In
fact, when I called Checkmate Technologies to ask about some other desired
features in the program, the person I spoke to said that the programmer was
quite pleased with himself for being able to incorporate Zmodem in the
package as everyone said it couldn't be done!

|                                                                           |
|        William H. Booz                      Fairfax County Public Schools |
|   Special Projects Teacher                        Fairfax, Virginia       |
|                                 BOOZ@VTVM1                                |
|___________________________________________________________________________|

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (03/01/90)

>Umm, last I checked, there was no such thing as 4K-XMODEM....
>1K XMODEM, yes, but 4K?  That's not in the specs.

I believe both Beagle Bros Comm packages support 4K Xmodem --
funny how could that be if it doesn't exist? Are those programmers
playing with our machines again? I don't have the specs on it, but
I believe the only difference is the packet size.

Actually, it is also rumored that the Proline systems will one day
support 4K Xmodem as well.

Mark Munz

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (03/02/90)

In article <3713@sage.cc.purdue.edu> aj0@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Eric Mulholland) writes:
>[...]
>On the topic of communications, what is the perfered method for cdas
>wanting to use the serial port and keyboard?  I'd like to release a cda
>version of my communication program, but don't know how to communicate
>with the serial port or keyboard.  The current version is in Prodos 8
>because I'm not rich enough to afford all the gs reference books.  Now
>only if those books could come out in paperback.

Reading the keyboard is pretty easy--either do an EMStatus to see if the
Event Manager is active (use GetNextEvent if it is, and read the keyboard
at $E1C000 directly if not), or use GetIRQEnable and IntSource to turn
off keyboard interrupts while you're in your CDA (and then always read
the keyboard hardware directly).  There *is* a GS Technical Note available
that addresses that ("CDA Tips and Techniques", one of the fairly recent
ones).

Using the serial ports under GS/OS, and especially from a CDA, presents
some complicated questions.  How are you doing it now, under P8?  If you're
using the firmware, FWEntry will help a lot.  A future Technical Note will
go into great detail on serial-port-related issues under GS/OS.

Your basic choices are to use GS/OS drivers to do all or most of the
serial operations; to use the firmware; or to go directly to the hardware.
('course, there are various advantages and problems with all of these.)

Having the reference books is really helpful, too.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.