[comp.sys.apple] Background print spooler

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (02/27/90)

In article <14188@reed.UUCP> reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) writes:

| This version [of a print spooler] only runs under BASIC.SYSTEM but
| versions for other shells are coming soon. (Sooner if you send money.)

Need I say that Davex comes WITH background print spooling right out of
"the box"?

Question: when will we see Davex 1.3??  How about a 65802 16-bit version
for Prodos 8??

	[david]

--
! InterNet: madnix!rat@cs.wisc.edu              !  David Douthitt
!     UUCP: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!rat !  Madison, Wisconsin

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (03/02/90)

In article <1139@madnix.UUCP> rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) writes:
[...]
>Need I say that Davex comes WITH background print spooling right out of
>"the box"?

True...it's not fancy, but it works nicely.  (There's no box, though.)

>Question: when will we see Davex 1.3??  How about a 65802 16-bit version
>for ProDOS 8??

The next release will be called 1.26.  I actually finished 1.25, but someone
found an icky bug (I broke getting keyboard input during an exec file).
Soon.

I don't have any plans to do a 65802 version, although everybody is free to
write external commands that require a 65802 if they want to.  Davex doesn't
currently even require a 65C02...works great on a II+ or an unenhanced IIe.
There's a small amount of GS-specific 65816 code in there (for displaying
the time, and in a couple Gs-only commands, for example).

Are there particular features that are too slow & would benefit from
special 65802 code, or what?
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.