[comp.sys.apple] Upgrading

In article <1990Feb28.061841.29116@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>I'm all for the idea of a ROM 04 machine, but I have one thing I
>>want to scream at the top of my lungs at all listening Apple
>>Employees and that is:
>>UPGRADE PATH!
>>You heard me.
>HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED HOW IMPRACTICAL IT IS TO GIVE YOU WHAT YOU ASK?
>I don't like it either, but that's the way it is. Now Apple can either make
>the new computer cheap enough that you won't mind just buying the CPU on its
>lonesome (my preferred idea, since the GS motherboard upgrade only saved you
>$300 anyway), or they can piss off a lot of people by not offering an upgrade.

	Well, excuse me, but I'm not filthy rich (YET!), and $300 is still
a lot of money for me... I could buy more CDs, most of a decent VCR, etc..
with that much money. So saving me $300 was well worth upgrading to a GS
vs. just buying a GS outright.

	I believe you are including the prices of all of the other junk
needed to get the 'full potential' out of a GS.. Had I known earlier, I could
have even saved a FEW MORE HUNDRED dollars... I would have gotten an Amiga
monitor, which I am now suggesting other people do.. I'd get one of the
fully SmartPort compatible 3.5" drives... All of this is since Apple's
stuff just costs too much... Obviously the CPU is worth paying the extra, but
the other peripherals aren't, unless you have tons of money and want the Apple
name..

	So I think that an upgrade path that even saves like $100 is worth
it. I've saved enough money that I don't miss not having a second computer.
[Although I do know of some uses.. I could keep one at home then I'd only
need to take my modem home to leech the newest warez].
--
No floptical drives. Both companies said no. GET A CARTRIDGE drive instead
to spite them.