[comp.sys.apple] CDA versions of ShrinkIt and BinSCII

SOMCYC@NUSVM.BITNET (Chiang Yao Chye) (03/02/90)

I would like to know if the authors of ShrinkIt (Andy) and BinSCII (Dave)
consider doing a version of their programs as CDAs?

ShrinkIt would be especially useful as sometimes one may need to shrink
that one file for file transfer... currently the only way is to quit the
communications program, run ShrinkIt, and run the communications program
again.  If ShrinkIt is rewritten as a CDA, it would save much of the
hassle.

I suppose the CDA version of ShrinkIt would be bare bones... perhaps with
only a 'Shrink' and an 'UnShrink' command, just like BinSCII.

Any comments?

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (03/02/90)

In article <9003021141.AA07774@apple.com> SOMCYC@NUSVM.BITNET (Chiang Yao Chye) writes:

>I would like to know if the authors of ShrinkIt (Andy) and BinSCII (Dave)
>consider doing a version of their programs as CDAs?
>
>Any comments?

BinSCII is a possibility as it is right now so frightfully small.

I'd have to learn how to write a CDA, though.

--
Dave Whitney
dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu  ...!mit-eddie!sun-bear!dcw  dcw@athena.mit.edu

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/03/90)

In article <9003021141.AA07774@apple.com>, SOMCYC@NUSVM.BITNET (Chiang Yao Chye) writes:

> I would like to know if the authors of ShrinkIt (Andy) and BinSCII (Dave)
> consider doing a version of their programs as CDAs?

I can't speak for dave, but I doubt highly whether there will be a CDA version
of ShrinkIt in the near future.  There might be an NDA out sometime which
just unshrinks, but a full CDA of ShrinkIt is not something I want to
consider.  Imagine this: I graduate soon, and have to get a "real" job
making "real" money to pay back my "real" student loans.  That will probably
not leave much time to play with my GS.

> ShrinkIt would be especially useful as sometimes one may need to shrink
> that one file for file transfer... currently the only way is to quit the
> communications program, run ShrinkIt, and run the communications program
> again.  If ShrinkIt is rewritten as a CDA, it would save much of the
> hassle.

Or, why not just build ShrinkIt INTO the terminal program.  That's what
I had originally envisioned for those things which sit on the shelf
collecting dust...

andy

--

Yeah!