[comp.sys.apple] Questions about GS/ShrinkIt, GS+ Mag, & System 5.0

jimdean@bcrka125.bnr.ca (Jim Dean 1574326) (03/01/90)

Thank you to Dave Whitney and Andy Nicholas for providing BinSCII and
ShrinkIt via e-mail to those of us who missed it on the net and/or don't
have "ftp" ability.

I hope someone out there can set me straight on a few things that I have been
puzzled about after reading the net for a couple of months:

1. Who is writing GS/ShrinkIt?  Is it Andy Nicholas, or is it Scott Lindsey
   of Claris, or is it a joint effort?  Scott, if you write it, will it become
   a Claris product, or will it be your own shareware or public domain product?
   Has it already been released, or is there an estimated release date?

2. My dealer handed me a /SYSTEM.DISK and a /SYSTEM.TOOLS (copies, without
   any docs, as per the rules) saying, "Here is system 5".  How can I tell if
   it is system 5.0, or 5.0.2, or what?  (Pardon my ignorance...I have avoided
   using the GS/OS, or indeed, any of the "Finder"s, until I built my hard-drive,
   which I finally did last week.) Whatever it is, I have been using it and liking
   it.

3. Is there a kind soul out there who could e-mail or fax me a copy of the
   appropriate Tech Note(s) describing file formats for AppleWorks 2.1 and 3.0?

4. What is GS+ magazine? What level of user/hacker is it aimed at?  How can we
   get it? I have seen references to it here in the net, but
   have never heard of it, or seen it, anywhere else.

Thanks for any responses.

I can be e-mailed at jimdean@bnr.ca on NETNORTH/BITNET ... don't use the address
in the header as I won't receive it.
--
Don't use address in the header, send email to BITNET/NETNORTH: jimdean@bnr.ca
Jim Dean            |   Bell-Northern Research, Ltd    | "Badgers? We don't need no

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/02/90)

In article <36@bcrka80.bnr.ca>, jimdean@bcrka125.bnr.ca (Jim Dean 1574326) writes:

> I hope someone out there can set me straight on a few things that I have been
> puzzled about after reading the net for a couple of months:
>
>1. Who is writing GS/ShrinkIt?  Is it Andy Nicholas, or is it Scott Lindsey
>   of Claris, or is it a joint effort?  Scott, if you write it, will it become
>   a Claris product, or will it be your own shareware or public domain product?
>   Has it already been released, or is there an estimated release date?

Last I checked, I was writing it.  It will be FreeWare, not public domain.
(check, there >IS< a difference).  It has not been released, and there is
no known release date that I'm willing to admit to... :-)

> Jim Dean

andy

--

Yeah!

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (03/03/90)

In article <36@bcrka80.bnr.ca> jimdean@bcrka125.bnr.ca (Jim Dean 1574326) writes:

>1. Who is writing GS/ShrinkIt?  Is it Andy Nicholas, or is it Scott Lindsey
>   of Claris, or is it a joint effort?  Scott, if you write it, will it become
>  a Claris product, or will it be your own shareware or public domain product?
Last time I checked, I have nothing to do with ShrinkIt, aside from occasional
usage of the program.  If Claris finds a way to make money out of it, it would
stun many many many people (most of them *at* Claris).  Maybe you're confused
because I was discussing AppleSingle, AppleDouble, PublicFolder, and ShrinkIt
all in the same breath.  (Yes, you can tell we're in AppleWorld, where all
CompoundNouns are concatenated and contain InlineCapitalization!)

> 2. My dealer handed me a /SYSTEM.DISK and a /SYSTEM.TOOLS (copies, without
>   any docs, as per the rules) saying, "Here is system 5".  How can I tell if
>   it is system 5.0, or 5.0.2, or what?  (Pardon my ignorance...I have avoided
>   using the GS/OS, or indeed, any of the "Finder"s, until I built my hard-drive,
>   which I finally did last week.) Whatever it is, I have been using it and liking
>   it.
When booting, press the spacebar as soon as you see the standard copyright
screen.  This will take you through an informative description of various
things being loaded instead of the normal progress thermometer.  If you have
System Software 5.0, all the version numbers should be 3.0 (except for some
FSTs like AppleShare, which you probably aren't configured for anyway).  If
you see that the Init Manager (parts 2 & 3) are v3.01 and the ProDOS FST is
v3.01, then you've either got 5.0.1 or 5.0.2.  Chances are *extremely* low
that you've got 5.0.1, since it wasn't an official release and no dealer
should have ever seen a copy.  If you're really suspicious, though, you can
either use Dave Lyons' NiftyList or the option-About AWGS to see which version
of GS/OS you have.  3.0 was a part of 5.0 and 5.0.1, while 3.1p was a part of
5.0.2.

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.