[comp.sys.apple] Trackstar comments wanted?

fordke@ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (02/13/90)

Hello Netters:  I am interested in collecting your thoughts and
comments on the Trackstar board by Diamond Computers.  This board goes
into an IBM PC machine and is basically a //e on a card.  You use the
same keyboard, video, & disk drives.  You can even use the hard disk.
That is all I know about it.  I think it cost around $500.  I am looking
for the telephone number of Diamond or of a distributor.  I would also
like to know if anyone out there uses one.  If so, have you any hard/soft
ware problems or incompatibility issues?  Please email your responses.
I will post a summary if I receive enough information.   TIA  -kef
 Internet:  fordke@ingr.com   \   "and the Trees are all kept equal
 UUCP:  ...!uunet!ingr!fordke  \   by hatchet, axe, and saw." -Rush

rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) (02/17/90)

Keith,
   In 2 words about the trackstar:  CHUCK IT!!!!  I worked with this dog when
I worked in tech support over 2 years ago.  It was very picky about what
drives it would work with.  It was extremely flaky in operation.  In short, if
you want Apple // compatibility BUY AN APPLE // OR A LASER 128.
Randy Miller
Data Services Technician/system analyst
Follett Software Co.
809 N. Front St.
McHenry, IL
rs.miller@pro-harvest
fsc@pro-harvest

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (02/24/90)

> In 2 words about the trackstar:  CHUCK IT!!!!  I worked with this dog when
> I worked in tech support over 2 years ago.  It was very picky about what
> drives it would work with.  It was extremely flaky in operation.  In short,
if
> you want Apple // compatibility BUY AN APPLE // OR A LASER 128.
> Randy Miller

Same could be said about the PCTransporter.  The TrackStar (to its
credit) has been improved recently.  I know one of the primary
developers of the TS, he is a former Apple hacker that switched to
the IBM Clones for lower cost and more power.  Yet he still likes
some Apple II programs (like AppleWorks) so he keeps fixing it to
work with the newer things (not gs yet though).

Have you tried to work with a PCT on a BBS?  I can't seem to get the
darn thing to do a transfer in any protocol except ZModem; and then
with about 150 errors in a 70K file!  Maybe its my setup, but I
don't feel you should have to screw with undocumented problems to
make a card work right.  Anyone do any quick file transfers with a PCT
yet without running into problems?

                                        Laer
lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com

gtt@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (diana) (03/03/90)

> In 2 words about the trackstar:  CHUCK IT!!!!  I worked with this dog when
> I worked in tech support over 2 years ago.  It was very picky about what
> drives it would work with.  It was extremely flaky in operation.  In short,
> if you want Apple // compatibility BUY AN APPLE // OR A LASER 128.
> Randy Miller

Actually, from what I've read, alot has changed in the last 2 years --
significant improvements have been made.

The TrackStar 128E recieved a rather glowing review in the February issue of
the Computer Shopper (p.352).  According to that article, the board's even been
officially endorsed by the National Education Association.

I'd also like to hear from anyone using the 128E, as my father-in-law just put
together (almost literally) a rather nice MeSs-DOS system (nice for DOS, that
is. :-) and would like to be able to run his Apple // software on it.

Anyone using one?

NOTE:  Still no newsgroups on my local BBS. <Heavy sigh!> So this is being
posted via my wife's account.  Please send any e-mail to:

| Jonathan Neuenschwander                        |"My views on evolution?    |
| USENET:   tippy!buzz@newton.physics.purdue.edu | I think Darwin was        |
| AMERICA ONLINE:  Buzz Lee                      | adopted." --Steven Wright |
|________________________________________________|___________________________|
|DISCLAIMER:  The opinions and views depicted here are completely fictious.  |
|Any resemblence to any actual opinions or views, either living or dead, is  |
|purely coincidental.                                                        |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

gtt@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (diana) (03/03/90)

>Same could be said about the PCTransporter.  The TrackStar (to its
>credit) has been improved recently.  I know one of the primary
>developers of the TS, he is a former Apple hacker that switched to
>the IBM Clones for lower cost and more power.  Yet he still likes
>some Apple II programs (like AppleWorks) so he keeps fixing it to
>work with the newer things (not gs yet though).
                                 ^^ ^^^

Is he working on making it GS-compatible??

That reminds me of another question my father-in-law had, is it possible to
expand the TrackStar's memory beyond the 128K it comes with?