[comp.sys.apple] PC Transporter woes

ghost@bucsf.BU.EDU (Jay Adelson) (02/25/90)

Skimming through comp.sys.apple, somebody's post caught my eye...

Something to do with Transwarp not being compatible with the PCT's
accessing the 5 1/4 inch transdrives....

And here I thought my Transdrive was busted, because everything else
functioned fine!

Well since I shelved my Transdrive, I had "boosted" my GS with a VULCAN,
and have also since started using the FINDER and GS/OS regularly.

Now I notice that the only efficient method of booting up my hard drive
and keeping the PCT enabled without GS/OS going nuts over the extra
drive attached is to either scream and turn off the computer or
just run off the hard drive, removing the transdrive.

This is o.k for a while. But what happens next time when I want to copy
a MS-DOS format file from a floppy to the hard drive? I can't boot up
my hard drive!

What is the solution to my problem? Well, I've been reading the previous
posts about someone monkeying with the pct system files and such, turning
the pct slot on and off. But there must be a better way!

Am I the only other person experiencing the Transwarp problems and the
GS/OS problems?  And how do I go about getting the "new" AEPC 2.0?
What problems does it solve? (Any?)

...and finally, I'm aware that if I gave up the AEPC Ram I'd be all set.
...the AEPC Ram has proven handy lately, for file transfering purposes.
I don't want to give it up if I don't have to...

Help on this matter would be appreciated!

	-J (ghost@bucsf.bu.edu)

:)

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (03/03/90)

>Something to do with Transwarp not being compatible with the PCT's
>accessing the 5 1/4 inch transdrives....
>
>And here I thought my Transdrive was busted, because everything else
>functioned fine!

>Well since I shelved my Transdrive, I had "boosted" my GS with a VULCAN,
>and have also since started using the FINDER and GS/OS regularly.
[snip]

I have a TransWarp GS in my IIgs and haven't experienced any problems other
than having to slow the TW to "normal" (regular fast) before running
Messy-DOS so that the PCT will recognize the TransDrives (I have one 3.5" and
one 5.25" TransDrive).  I have ProSEL do that automagically whenever I
startup the PCT software.  Can't recall exactly how right now, but it's in the
manual (if you got ProSEL).

There is another problem that exists with the PCT and the SCSI drivers that
come with GS/OS.  Since you've got a Vulcan, delete the SCSI drivers form
your system folder and use the drivers supplied with the Vulcan drive.
Hope this helps a little.  Basically the PCT is a VERY inflexible IBM clone
that has many compromises.  My main problem is using MS-DOS terminal software
to download MS-DOS files from BBSs.  It seems that every time the PCT has to
write to disk it misses some of the file transfer causing an error.  Z-modem
can handle the errors, but the resent blocks add 100% of time to the
estimated download time.  I can't seem to find a way to buffer the writes to
disk to go at larger blocks to reduce errors.  Anyone got an idea???  Any
PCT pros or MS-DOS gurus out there that can pitch in a hint???

                                        Laer
lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com