[comp.sys.apple] Xerox

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (03/04/90)

In article <20258.apple.info-apple@pro-exchange> sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) writes:

>Being used as a generic term does not make it one... As long as Xerox
>Corporation tries to teach that Xerox is NOT a generic term and legally
>enforces its trademark vigoriously, it will never =LEGALLY= be a generic
>term.. as Aspirin and Kleenex are... they -are- such because they did NOT
>adequately defend their trademark. Thank you in advance for your
>understanding.

You are already too late in my opinion.  'xerox' has become a generic
term.  Or at least I certainly don't think everybody thinks 'Xerox (tm)'
the company when they ask for 'xerox that will ya?' My Webster's
dictionary in addition to listing Xerox as a trademark, also lists it as
a noun, "a copy made from xerography" and it also lists it as a
transitive/ intransitive verb with "to reproduce by xerography."  As
such, seems like to me you can use it as generically as you want.

I don't see what this has to do with Apples, but I thought I'd put my
two cents in and see if we can't get back to discussing em.

-k