[comp.sys.apple] System 5.0 crashes

throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Henry Throop) (03/04/90)

When using System 5.0 (not 5.0.2), I've been having some problems with
programs crashing when I try using the scroll bars.  When I move the cursor
to the slider and press the button (before I get time to drag the slider),
everything stops and I have to reboot.  When I reboot, I can see that the
40 column text screen is filled with "X}X}X}X}X}", which doesn't happen
when I reboot normally. This problem happens about 1 in 10 times
I use use the sliders.  I have no problems clicking the mouse on the up/down
arrows or the page up/down areas.  I have experienced this problem in both
the Finder and TML Pascal II on three different 1.25 MB ROM 01 systems,
one with a Vulcan 40, and one with just a 3.5".  No NDAs/inits.  Has
anyone else had similar problems, or have any suggestions?

Henry
---
Henry Throop
Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (03/05/90)

In article <16436@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Henry Throop) writes:
>When using System 5.0 (not 5.0.2), I've been having some problems with
>programs crashing when I try using the scroll bars.  When I move the cursor
>to the slider and press the button (before I get time to drag the slider),
>everything stops and I have to reboot.  [...] I have experienced this problem
>in both the Finder and TML Pascal II on three different 1.25 MB ROM 01
>systems, one with a Vulcan 40, and one with just a 3.5".  No NDAs/inits.

Does this happen right after you boot, *before* running TML Pascal II or
any programs written under TML?

If it does, then try reinstalling 5.0.  (Actually, go for 5.0.2 if you can,
although I don't know of any changed between 5.0 and 5.0.2 that would cause
your particular problem.)

If it happens only after running TML or some program written in TML, then
it sounds like the in-RAM copy of the Control Manager is getting stomped on
by accident.  (In this case, definitely try using 5.0.2 instead, since there
are significant fixed to Text Edit, which TML II uses.)
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.