[comp.sys.apple] ProSEL/16 Backup

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU ( Stupid ) (03/04/90)

Hello all

  I just had a program go and write all over my hard disk, so I got my
first chance to use ProSEL/16's backup.  I had made a fresh backup about
three days ago.  I tried to restore this and have been getting ERROR $5A
(volume bitmap damaged?)  I tried reformatting the hard disk to no avail;
I still get the errors.  Has anyone had this problem and solved it?  Or
does anyone know how I can get mail to Glen Bredon (email or snail)?

Thanks,

- John

Stupid@Idiots.Anonymous.Com | There's an explanation for everything. Tis a pity
jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU  | that many of those explanations make no sense.
earlsj@AFAL-EDWARDS.AF.MIL  | - The Teachings of Ebenezum, volume LXIX

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU ( Stupid ) (03/05/90)

I said:
>  I just had a program go and write all over my hard disk, so I got my
>first chance to use ProSEL/16's backup.  I had made a fresh backup about
>three days ago.  I tried to restore this and have been getting ERROR $5A
>(volume bitmap damaged?)  I tried reformatting the hard disk to no avail;
>I still get the errors.  Has anyone had this problem and solved it?  Or
>does anyone know how I can get mail to Glen Bredon (email or snail)?
>--
>Stupid@Idiots.Anonymous.Com | There's an explanation for everything. Tis a pity
>jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU  | that many of those explanations make no sense.
>earlsj@AFAL-EDWARDS.AF.MIL  | - The Teachings of Ebenezum, volume LXIX

It turns out that I was using different versions of ProSEL... I had made
the backup under version 8.40 (I think) and the only non-hard-disk copy
I had was 8.36.  I got a new copy of 8.40 and it worked.

So is ProSEL's backup _totally_ version dependent or did I just happen
to hit it when the format changed?

- John

Stupid@Idiots.Anonymous.Com | There's an explanation for everything. Tis a pity
jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU  | that many of those explanations make no sense.
earlsj@AFAL-EDWARDS.AF.MIL  | - The Teachings of Ebenezum, volume LXIX

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (03/06/90)

* The previous message was brought #ARPANet : gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu     ^
* to you through a grant from CMU  #Bitnet:Floyd@Drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu^
* who has graciously taken a hell  #Bitnet : y614gt0t@VB.CC.CMU.EDU    ^
* of a lot of money from this man. #Can I get one more account???      ^

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (  Stupid  ) writes:
> So is ProSEL's backup _totally_ version dependent or did I just happen
> to hit it when the format changed?

  You just happened to hit the format change.  Glen B. made
significant changes between version 8.3 and 4 (I think) with the
backup program.  I just got version 8.41, and I like it...