[comp.sys.apple] Error

drew@pro-houston.cts.com (Andrew Freeman) (11/22/89)

I was wondering what exactly a MNU error is?  Whenever I try to view GIF files
with the GIF file converted I get this MNU centered on my screen. This doesn't
seem to happen on a //e.  (I have a //c by the way...)

Any ideas?

   uucp: crash!pro-houston!drew           | "Trying to change its program
arpanet: crash!pro-houston!drew@nosc.mil  |  Trying to change its mode
   inet: drew@pro-houston.cts.com         |  Crack the code. Images conflicting
 bitnet: pro-houston.uucp!drew@psuvax1    |  Into data overload..."

jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com ("Jerry E. Kindall") (11/23/89)

Drew, the MMU message is a bug in IIGIF.  IIGIF is accessing some GS-specific
softswitches, which on the IIc cause the ROM to switch banks.  Later, when
IIGIF calls a ROM routine, it jumps into the diagnostic code within the IIc
ROM rather than the routine it thought it was calling.  Jason Harper has a
patched version, and I made one myself (by searching zapping out all the
references to the killer softswitches).             ^and

Don't recall exactly what it was I did, though I could look it up if you can't
get a modified IIGIF somewhere else.
   _____
  ||___||  Jerry Kindall               |  Internet: jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com
  |  o  |  2612 Queensway Drive        |  UUCP:     nosc!crash!pro-tcc!jerryk
  |__O__|  Grove City, OH  43123-3347  |  GEnie: A2.JERRY     ALine: A2 Jerry

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (03/06/90)

I'm having a strange error.  Seems that my system crashes into the
monitor upon exiting from a GS/OS application in SHR mode.  Since
I have to hit the Reset key, I can't see the actual address on
screen, but it *always* comes up on screen with the same text:
     3E3: 00 ... etc.

This happens when I use the Finder to select a program or when I
return from a SHR application that I launched from the ProSel-16
shell.  Note that the SHR shadowing in ProSel-16 doesn't have a
problem.

Any guesses?  Once again, I have just installed a number of things
which could be removed one by one, but at the same time I backed
up, sorted the directories, and optimized the drive, so it could
be a number of factors.  Could the GS/OS quit code just be messed
up?  If so, should I do a full restore of System files, or is there
just one or two?  I don't have the time this week to experiment
with every possible configuration.

    Todd A. Bakal                              I believe in the Cubs,
    U of M Apple User's Group                  UM's national championship
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                        chances, and my Apple ][gs.

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu          FTP: 35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal    BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB