[comp.sys.apple] File Find for IIGS hard drive

r.levy@cooper.cooper.EDU (Rami Levy ) (02/27/90)

Does anyone know of a File Find utility for an Apple IIGS with a
hard drive? This and other "second-generation" hard drive management
utilities are sorely needed in the Apple II world.
	Any type of utility would be helpful  - an NDA or CDA would be
preferable, but a BASIC program (or machine language) would be OK too.
(Most ORCA/C programs can probably be modified to be an NDA as well).
	Thanks,
				Rami Levy

Please respond to r.levy@marvin.cooper.edu, or
		  levy@coopervax.cooper.edu
Any useful responses will be posted.

hartkopf@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jeff Hartkopf) (02/27/90)

In article <2209@cooper.cooper.EDU> r.levy@cooper.cooper.EDU (Rami Levy ) writes:
>Does anyone know of a File Find utility for an Apple IIGS with a
>hard drive? This and other "second-generation" hard drive management
>utilities are sorely needed in the Apple II world.
>	Any type of utility would be helpful  - an NDA or CDA would be
>preferable, but a BASIC program (or machine language) would be OK too.

My File Manager NDA will have a Find file feature in the (hopefully) near
future.  Version 1.0 (posted to comp.binaries.apple2 over a month ago)
already has features like Move (and rename), Copy (all GS/OS files),
Delete (file and folders), Information (on files, allowing changing
file/aux type, attributes, etc.), and View (text files).  Many improvements
are in the works for the next version, including Moving, Copying, and
getting-Info-on multiple files and folders at once and the Find file option.

File Manager should be available at the Brown Apple2-L archive, and is
shareware for $10.

Jeff Hartkopf

Internet:
hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU

UD169430@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Aaron Swiers) (03/01/90)

This may get to be repetitive, but have you ever heard of ProSel?
I wouldn't dream of running a hard drive without it.  And I have a
friend with a GS who was running it under System 5.0 quite nicely.
If I remember he would boot into Prosel, under GS/OS, and from there
launch the finder, and when he quit the finder, would wind up back at
good old ProSel.  Kind of like a launcher on top of a launcher, but
it worked VERY nicely.  And of course ProSel has many more features
than just Find File.  BTW - he was at the time running only ProSel 8.
Until then,

Aaron Swiers

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (03/06/90)

	Actually, there's a very nice NDA by someone whose last name is, I
believe, Chick (Steven? I dunno). Start/Stop icon, found list and pathname
expansion list. Runs "in the background" (you can do other junk while it
searches). I haven't disassembled it to verify cleanliness, but I find it
somewhat unlikely that someone that writes code that works this well (within
Apple's holy guidelines) would do anything really funky. If enough people
pester me to, I'll post it to c.b.a2... Btw, it works with all volumes (you
can set it to search all volumes, or just one).
--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu