[comp.sys.apple] Macintosh, Inc?

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (03/07/90)

In article <1990Mar6.121631.2034@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>>Other Apple people who used to read this newsgroup left it because all they got
>>for their dozens of hours a week on it was bitching and whining and moaning
>>that "Apple", *which includes them*, "wasn't doing anything for them."

Maybe they finally got a taste of the frustration many Apple II users felt.
If they at least caught that much, then it wasn't a waste.

[ mega-snip ]
>	3. Has been constantly reported by certain magazines as being a
>product which is obsolete and will be phased out soon, while the ones who
>know the truth say nothing and any real evidence is buried in stacks of
>non-disclosure agreements

Read the opening editorial in the latest A2-Central (which should be
required reading for all Apple employees).  "Electronic Learning" magazine
stated that educators wanted a "baby mac" with the following: large, color
screen; run HyperCard or have hypermedia capabilities; rum most, if not
all, of the Apple II family software; cost between $900 and $1400; be
available in one to two years.

A2-Central goes on to point it that this a fairly accurate description of
an Apple //gs running HyperStudio.  Which is available *now*, not in 1-2
years.

First Apple relegated the Apple II to the educational market, then they
started sending signals that the Mac was better suited.  When you buy for
an educational institution, you have to look a loooong way ahead.  If you
don't think a computer will be around for much longer, you don't buy it.
It's real simple.

Enter the (IBM) clones...

The final lines of the editorial say "...well, things can't get much worse
than they already are, but we're still having fun with our Apple IIs --
let's concentrate on our fun and leave Apple's fun to Apple."

It's a nice thought, but I've invested too much time to just watch it get
kicked into a closet somewhere.  I also spend dozens of hours a week on
news, but I haven't given up hope on Apple yet.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden