[comp.sys.apple] SCSI Ram Disks

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (03/06/90)

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
> [Nuked stuff related to EEPROMS and the like]
> [Mentions a SCSI RAM disk, using SIMMs]
> RAM is about twice as expensive now as hard disks were
>two years ago (yeah, a bad comparison). I estimate that in a year or
>two RAM prices for small amounts will cost roughly the same as the
>same amount of magnetic memory.

	Whoa! I can pick up an 80Mb SCSI HD (like a HH 5.25" SeaGate) that's
fairly quick for $500. Now, just to make life easier for me, lets say that
RAM is going for $50 a meg (and if anyone can find 80ns quality SIMMs for
that, _please_ let me know...). Now, $50*80=$4000, so that's what, 8 times
as much? I've been told (haven't really looked) that it's possible to get a
20Mb drive for $109, and that's about 10 times cheaper than the same amount
of RAM. This isn't even getting into 3.5" disks, where you can pick up a meg
for a few bucks - granted, there are speed differences ;).

	I've seen some pretty serious RAM price fluctuation recently, but I
don't think that it's probable that RAM prices will continue to take such a
serious dive. So, did I just really misread your post, am I missing
something, or do you think that RAM prices will actually continue to drop at
the rate that they have been?

--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (03/07/90)

In article <1149@madnix.UUCP> jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) writes:
>dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
>> [Nuked stuff related to EEPROMS and the like]
>> [Mentions a SCSI RAM disk, using SIMMs]
>> RAM is about twice as expensive now as hard disks were
>>two years ago (yeah, a bad comparison).
>
>	Whoa! I can pick up an 80Mb SCSI HD (like a HH 5.25" SeaGate) that's
>fairly quick for $500.
>
>>Dave Whitney
>>dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu  ...!mit-eddie!sun-bear!dcw  dcw@athena.mit.edu
>                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
>or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu

I was talking about a complete HD system. If I open up a MacWEEK or
Macworld and flip to an ad for a HD, then I see prices of $400 for
20MB and then it goes up. I was thinking in terms of the average joe
who doesn't want to build his own. At that price, RAM is about 3 times
as much per meg as a HD (80ns for roughly $65 these days).

--
Dave Whitney
dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu  ...!mit-eddie!sun-bear!dcw  dcw@athena.mit.edu
My employer pays me well. This, however, does not mean he agrees with me.
I wrote Z-Link & BinSCII. Send me bug reports. I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.