[comp.sys.apple] Apple // Programmer's Consortium

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (02/26/90)

The Apple // has always been primarily a hacker's machine, as opposed to a
user's machine (Read My Lips: No New Macs <- could be a reality in a year
or two).  This came about because of the Apple's open architecture and
superb end-user support.  Many magazines of the likes of Call A.P.P.L.E.
and Hardcore Computist (and one I can't remember the title of, every Apple
buyer got a free subscription if they wanted) helped the average Joe become
familiar with the innards and outs of his machine.  Anyone who had the
desire could easily and quickly write up programs for his computer, because
of the built-in language (Applesloth, of course).

With the demise of Call APPLE, the other aforementioned mag whose name has
slipped my mind, and many others, the Apple // community has been left in
a void.  Something needs to fill that void, and fast, before we forget what
it means to own an Apple //.

What I suggest is the formation of a non-profit orginazation, devoted to the
distribution of Apple //-related materials.  There would be a monthly
newsletter (more like a magazine, really) that would have info galore
(how-to's, tech help, programming examples, etc).  A public domain collection
would be maintained, and handled in much the same way as the Amiga's Fred
Fish collection (the Fish disks are an invaluable programmer's resource-
the Apple // should have these too).

Anyone have any more ideas as to what such an orginazation could do? And,
more importantly, is anyone up to the task of helping me make such a group
a reality?  The whole thing could be managed thru the Net, the magazine
published at any handy university Mac/NeXT lab.

Help make the Apple // dream a reality again.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | This message was posted to thousands of machines
Junior/Computer Engineering | throughout the entire civilized world. It cost

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (02/26/90)

On Mon, 26 Feb 90 03:14:36 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:
>[Lotsa stuff deleted]
>The whole thing could be managed thru the Net, the magazine
>published at any handy university Mac/NeXT lab.
>
>Help make the Apple // dream a reality again.

ARGH!!!!!!

Why not have it published by an --> Apple II <-- lab, eh?  Here you
go saying that the II deserves tech help and such, then you imply
that it can't even do simple desktop publishing.  Sure, I know, most
places only have Mac/NeXT labs instead of Apple II labs... but this
needs to change!  My gs can do just about everything in the way of
desktop publishing that a mac can do.

>--
>Jawaid Bazyar               | This message was posted to thousands of machines
>Junior/Computer Engineering | throughout the entire civilized world. It cost
>jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu    | the net hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars.

/**********************************************************************\
|*      Joe "Gonzo" Wankerl       |*|  The views expressed here are   *|
|* BITNET =>  JWANKERL@UTCVM      |*|  not necessarily yours...       *|
|*                                |*|         ...but they should be.  *|
\**********************************************************************/

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (02/27/90)

In article <9002261402.AA23174@apple.com> you write:
>On Mon, 26 Feb 90 03:14:36 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:
>>[Lotsa stuff deleted]
>>The whole thing could be managed thru the Net, the magazine
>>published at any handy university Mac/NeXT lab.
>>
>>Help make the Apple // dream a reality again.
>>

>ARGH!!!!!!
>
>Why not have it published by an --> Apple II <-- lab, eh?  Here you
>go saying that the II deserves tech help and such, then you imply
>that it can't even do simple desktop publishing.  Sure, I know, most
>places only have Mac/NeXT labs instead of Apple II labs... but this
>needs to change!  My gs can do just about everything in the way of
>desktop publishing that a mac can do.
    I agree. So can mine.  Unfortunately, I don't have a laser printer on
my desk. Do you?  Alright, lets have a show of hands. How many of you GS
owners out there also own a laser printer?
    None? I thought so.
   And, if I decided I wanted to, I could use the GS with say AppleWorks GS.
But the NeXT has display Postscript, an obvious boon for publishing.
The Mac and the NeXT were MADE for desktop publishing, why not use them
for that?

--

ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary P Gray) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb26.161418.14629@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>In article <9002261402.AA23174@apple.com> you write:
>>ARGH!!!!!!
>>
>>Why not have it published by an --> Apple II <-- lab, eh?  Here you
>    I agree. So can mine.  Unfortunately, I don't have a laser printer on
>my desk. Do you?  Alright, lets have a show of hands. How many of you GS
>owners out there also own a laser printer?
>    None? I thought so.

Ah, but version 3 of Publish It! will have the capability of printing
postscript to disk. Simple matter of transfering the output to a mainframe
with a postscript laser or even (though the suggestion makes me sick :) to a
Mac to get printouts.  Or even just distribute the postscript output via the
net for a "print it yourself" magazine.  Publish It! 3 I think ships in March
or April.

----
--
-- WARNING!!! The above opinions may be HAZARDOUS or FATAL if swallowed!!! --
                                           |  Gary Gray -- ggray@wpi.wpi.edu
 You know, I wish *I* had theme music...   |  GEnie: GGRAY6

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) (03/08/90)

In article <9129@wpi.wpi.edu> ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary P Gray) writes:
>Ah, but version 3 of Publish It! will have the capability of printing
>postscript to disk. Simple matter of transfering the output to a mainframe
>with a postscript laser or even (though the suggestion makes me sick :) to a
>Mac to get printouts.  Or even just distribute the postscript output via the
>net for a "print it yourself" magazine.  Publish It! 3 I think ships in March
>or April.

It would be great if Publish It! had an option to print postscript directly
to a file ON A MAC HFS 3.5" FORMATTED DISK in an Apple ][ SmartPort-based
drive.  Kinko's used to have Macs in their store for printing (at least when
I was in school), or you could probably find some other place with a
Mac/LaserWriter and just pop in the diskette (in case you don't have a modem
and upload software).

Of course, if something like this were added, I wouldn't want it to be GS
SmartPort-specific, since my Apple ][+ and //e can handle the Laser UDC.

One of my gripes is that a certain 3.5" format utility that was uploaded to
comp.binaries.apple2 (aka Apple2-L) was GS-specific, and I can't use it on
my Apple 3.5 Drive just because I don't have a GS to go with it.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP