[comp.sys.apple] IP numbers for pro-*.cts.com

BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) (03/06/90)

Can anyone provide me with the IP numbers for the following nodes:

    pro-beagle.cts.com
    pro-europa.cts.com
    pro-exchange.cts.com
    pro-generic.cts.com
    pro-grouch.cts.com
    pro-houston.cts.com
    pro-novapple.cts.com
    pro-sol.cts.com
    pro-tcc.cts.com

Just what *is* cts.com anyway?

                      Ben Liblit
                      BRL102 @ psuvm.bitnet -- BRL102 @ psuvm.psu.edu
                      "Fais que tes reves soient plus longs que la nuit."

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (03/06/90)

In article <90064.150453BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu> BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) writes:
<Can anyone provide me with the IP numbers for the following nodes:
[list of pro-*.cts.com sites]

	These machines are not on the INTERNET and thus don't have INTERNET
addresses.  They have mail forwarder (MX) records.

<Just what *is* cts.com anyway?

	From "The NIC":

Whois: domain cts.com
Crash TimeSharing (CTS-DOM)
   1274 Vista Del Monte
   El Cajon, CA 92020-6830

   Domain Name: CTS.COM

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Blue, Bill  (BB167)  bblue@CRASH.CTS.COM
      (619) 444-7004

   Record last updated on 21-Apr-88.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   RUTGERS.EDU                  128.6.4.7, 128.6.21.9
   AOS.BRL.MIL                  128.20.1.2, 192.5.25.82
   HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU          128.103.1.1

->Spike
--
"The World" - Public Access Unix - +1 617-739-9753  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps

On Mon, 5 Mar 90 20:04:53 GMT you said:
>Can anyone provide me with the IP numbers for the following nodes:
>
>    pro-beagle.cts.com
>    pro-europa.cts.com
>    pro-... [etc.]

UUCP sites don't have IP numbers.

>Just what *is* cts.com anyway?

'cts' = Crash Time Shareing.  In reality, pro-lines aren't even UUCP hosts
in the usual sense (UUCP = Unix-Unix CoPy and pro-lines aren't running
UNIX -- most of them are //e's :-)  'crash' is a UNIX box and UUCP backbone
host (owned and operated by Bill Blue, who unless my memory's gone completely
off the edge wrote the original ASCII Express commware for the ][+).
'crash' also is the gateway for 'pnet' (people net), and 'pnet' hosts gateway
for the pro-lines.

MORAL: domain addresses don't equate to a host running TCP/IP, and no
IP number means no 'ftp' capability.

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) (03/06/90)

In article <1990Mar6.013221.1168@world.std.com>, spike@world.std.com (Joe
Ilacqua) says:

>   Domain servers in listed order:
>
>   RUTGERS.EDU                  128.6.4.7, 128.6.21.9
>   AOS.BRL.MIL                  128.20.1.2, 192.5.25.82
>   HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU          128.103.1.1

How does one use these servers?  I have TelNet and FTP capability, but what do
I *do*?

                      Ben Liblit
                      BRL102 @ psuvm.bitnet -- BRL102 @ psuvm.psu.edu
                      "Fais que tes reves soient plus longs que la nuit."

UN027265@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU (Eric Krichbaum) (03/07/90)

If you get those nodes, can you forward the list to me?  Please.
                                           eric

BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) (03/07/90)

>How does one use these servers?  I have TelNet and FTP capability, but what do
>I *do*?

This may have been ambiguous.  I *know* how to FTP and Telnet and all of that.
I need to know specifically how to use the name servers.

                      Ben Liblit
                      BRL102 @ psuvm.bitnet -- BRL102 @ psuvm.psu.edu
                      "Fais que tes reves soient plus longs que la nuit."

BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) (03/07/90)

>How does one use these servers?  I have TelNet and FTP capability, but what do
>I *do*?

This may have been ambiguous.  I *know* how to FTP and Telnet and all of that.
I need to know specifically how to use the domain servers.

chris@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) (03/07/90)

In article <90065.171131BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu>, BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben
Liblit) writes:

> This may have been ambiguous.  I *know* how to FTP and Telnet and all
of that.
> I need to know specifically how to use the domain servers.

Ben - IF your site is properly setup then ftp and telnet will use these
automagically.  If you wish to query certain domain servers then there is a
utility (under unix, at least) called nslookup.  Check the man pages for more
information....
-chris

BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) (03/08/90)

In article <3102@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, chris@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu
(Chris Peck) says:

>Ben - IF your site is properly setup then ftp and telnet will use these
>automagically.  If you wish to query certain domain servers then there is a
>utility (under unix, at least) called nslookup.  Check the man pages for more
>information....

Last time, people -- I don't *have* Unix!  I'm on psu*vm*, as in VM/XA
operating system.  Is there an equivalent to nslookup for my machine?

chris@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) (03/08/90)

In article <90066.142353BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu> you write:

> Last time, people -- I don't *have* Unix!  I'm on psu*vm*, as in VM/XA
> operating system.  Is there an equivalent to nslookup for my machine?

Ben,
geez - I'm sorry, I didn't see your 1st message.  Anyways, if you look
in the Programmers Manual for IBM TCP/IP for VM under CMSRESOLV you will
find kinda what you're looking for.  CMSRESOLV is a "programmers
interface to the Resolver", it wouldn't take to much to write an EXEC to
do do similiar queries as nslookup.  If you don't have the manual ask
your local support or systems people...
-chris

PS - why are we talking about this under comp.sys.apple2?????