[comp.sys.apple] Forthcoming gateway to America On-Line

A recent arrival in my email says that a gateway between America OnLine
and the rest of the World is in the works.  So far, nothing on how soon
or how much (if they use DASNET it won't be free, if they go the same
route as CIS and MCImail, it'll be free from here to there at least.

A different source doubts that GEnie is aware of the Internet.  That seems
strange because I'm told that AppleLink (Corporate) runs on the same
computer (AppleLink.Apple.COM).  I'd think that GEnie would be a competitive
disadvantage compared to CIS and MCImail (to say nothing of FidoNet which
ALSO has gateways to the Internet) if they remain isolated.

Finally (as long as I've got your attention), has anyone heard anything
from Jerry Cline about his "marketing people at Apple are enthusiastic
about the II even if they fail to communicate directly with the user
community" project since the executive shakeup and subsequent stategic
turmoil at Apple?

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

In article <9003081625.AA20732@apple.com> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>A recent arrival in my email says that a gateway between America OnLine
>and the rest of the World is in the works.  So far, nothing on how soon
>or how much (if they use DASNET it won't be free, if they go the same
>route as CIS and MCImail, it'll be free from here to there at least.
>
>A different source doubts that GEnie is aware of the Internet.  That seems
>strange because I'm told that AppleLink (Corporate) runs on the same
>computer (AppleLink.Apple.COM).  I'd think that GEnie would be a competitive
>disadvantage compared to CIS and MCImail (to say nothing of FidoNet which
>ALSO has gateways to the Internet) if they remain isolated.
>
>/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
>      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
> + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

AppleLink is *not* run from apple.com.  It's a service contracted to GEISCO,
the same people who run GEnie.  GEnie and AppleLink use the same computers,
not AppleLink and apple.com.

The Internet-AppleLink gateway is accomplished through DASNET, and (as you
noted) is not free.  Apple pays for it.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."