[comp.sys.apple] Sig's

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (03/07/90)

Someone recently rightfully made the periodically necessary plea for
people to copy as little text as possible from messages they are
replying to (quotes nested six <'s deep is a might absurd, wasteful of
bandwidth, government and private resources, and everyone's time and
patience.)  However he also said signatures were unnecessary because you
can get them from the headers.  Unfortunately, this is not always true.
A net message expert would probably know all the reasons, but I know
that at least on this machine (a Honeywell Multics) info-apple gets
posted to what is called a "forum", which is a lot like what most other
real machines may call a bulletin board.  Unfortunately whatever
combination of mechanisms gets it here loses the "real" sender's address
and all I'm left with is that it came from info-apple@apple.com.  So, at
least here we need a one line internet address as a signature.  (but not
a dozen lines drawing a picture of your favorite computer)

I will admit to usually forgetting to include one myself, since for
direct e-mail (even over second and third class nets) the sender and/or
from and/or return-path fields usually make it through.

TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil

syslep@pro-lep.cts.com (System Leprechaun) (03/09/90)

|people to copy as little text as possible from messages they are

How's that for a short continuity quote!  Heh.  I agree totally with keeping
quotes short (under 3 lines would be ideal).  Usually, if I see a full screen
of quoted matter before getting to any original text, I just abort and press
on to the next one.
| Don Patrick             |ProLine: syslep@pro-lep| Source: R.I.P.      | |
| 9100 Circle Drive       |     512-288-2114      |  GEnie: DONPATRICK  | |
| Austin TX 78736-7911    | AppleLink: D Patrick  |    CI$: 72355,1717  | |