[comp.sys.apple] hard disk backup programs

DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET (02/20/90)

Does anybody know of any that will back up a Sider with GS/OS?  PD or
Shareware preferably, but if commercial's all that's available, I'll take
it.

                                                Bill Dickson

                                                DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET

In article <9002192053.aa16650@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET writes:
>Does anybody know of any that will back up a Sider with GS/OS?  PD or
>Shareware preferably, but if commercial's all that's available, I'll take
>it.
>
>                                                Bill Dickson

The magazines lately are featuring ads for a new GS/OS-based backup program
known as "Salvation", which the ads portray as a fairly nice program.

(This, of course, is not a big surprise.)  Does anyone have experience with it?

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (02/21/90)

In article <38813@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>In article <9002192053.aa16650@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET writes:
>>Does anybody know of any that will back up a Sider with GS/OS?  PD or
>>Shareware preferably, but if commercial's all that's available, I'll take
>>it.
>>
>>                                                Bill Dickson
>
>The magazines lately are featuring ads for a new GS/OS-based backup program
>known as "Salvation", which the ads portray as a fairly nice program.
>
>(This, of course, is not a big surprise.)  Does anyone have experience with it?

There is a demo version of the software on America Online I believe in the
Utilities software library (but I can't remember exactly where I found it).
I think the demo will let you do backups but it doesn't have all the frills
the the full program does.  I'm not really sure because I haven't tried to
use the demo yet except to look at the interface and see what it had.  It
does look pretty good.  I was planning on trying it out tonite.  If there is
interest, I'll post my impressions of it.

Ray

Ray Rankins         |(518) 387-7340 (days)| INTERNET: rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.      |(518) 583-3320 (eves)| COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831|                     | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (02/21/90)

On Tue, 20 Feb 90 20:39:57 GMT Matt Deatherage said:

>The magazines lately are featuring ads for a new GS/OS-based backup program
>known as "Salvation", which the ads portray as a fairly nice program.
>
>(This, of course, is not a big surprise.)  Does anyone have experience with it?

Yes, I've seen Salvation and it's a beauty.  It's fast.
Backup selected files or directories.  Note that this is a file
based backup - it will not do a disk image backup (I think that's
what it's called).  If I get enough extra $$$, I think I'm gunna
buy it myself.

>--
>Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
>Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
>Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

/**********************************************************************\
|*      Joe "Gonzo" Wankerl       |*|  The views expressed here are   *|
|* BITNET =>  JWANKERL@UTCVM      |*|  not necessarily yours...       *|
|*                                |*|         ...but they should be.  *|
\**********************************************************************/

z@pro-fishunt.cts.com (Jim Ziogas) (02/22/90)

Here are some comparisons of ProSel and Salvation. This was uploaded to
CompuServe by and is written by Glen Bredon.

       Comparison of the ProSel-16 backup facility and Salvation.

Since I am the author of ProSel-16, I am very biased, and you should keep
that in mind.  Because of that, I have attempted to limit things to factual
items in this report.  Also, I am not going to discuss the minor features
of either program since that would be hard to do without biased value
judgments.  Of course, the question of what features are major or minor is
also a value judgement, but there is no escaping that.

The following benchmarks were done with my regular main directory which is
slightly over 15MB in size.  Timings were done with a stopwatch.  In the
case of ProSel-16 the watch was started as soon as the backup item was
selected from the ProSel screen, the item being an automated backup spec
so that the backup ran from that point with no further user access.  In the
case of Salvation, the watch was started when Salvation was selected and
stopped whenever user input (mouse clicks) had to be done, until the backup
began.  Although Salvation allows use of macros, it is not fully automatic
in the way ProSel-16 is, and it seems to eat up at least 12 seconds for
mouse clicking to get things started, beyond the given times.  All backups
are full backups of the entire volume.  Times are in minutes and seconds.

Salvation (version 1.0):

Backup with verify (1)...................................31:12.....20 disks
Backup without verify....................................24:55.....20 disks

Restore (5)..............................................?

ProSel-16 (version 8.40):

Backup, error correction, no verify, graphic, dir (1,2)..26:28.....19 disks
Backup, no error corr., no verify, graphic, dir (4)......24:10.....17 disks
Backup, no error corr., verify, graphic, dir.............32:43.....17 disks

Backup, error correction, no verify, text, no dir (3)....25:05.....19 disks
Backup, no error corr., no verify, text, no dir..........22:38.....17 disks
Backup, no error corr., verify, text, no dir.............31:16.....17 disks

Restore, error correction................................25:49

Notes:
------

(1)  This is the mode I would recommend using with this program.
(2)  "dir" refers to the optional directory written during the backup.
     Salvation requires a separate directory disk; ProSel-16 keeps a
     directory on each disk, and the optional directory is for
     further convenience for the user (it could be put in a database,
     for example).
(3)  The main difference between text and graphics modes timings in
     ProSel-16 is due to the scrolling of display of files being
     backed up.  Salvation does not use this type of display.  Although
     the ProSel-16 text mode is slightly faster, I like the graphics
     option and scrolling enough to suffer an extra minute or two.
(4)  Error correction is the most important feature of the ProSel-16 backup
     and I strongly recommend its use.  Since Salvation does not have
     this feature, the times for ProSel-16 without that option are listed.
     (But really, use the error correction, it can save your butt.)
(5)  I could not time Restore with Salvation because it gave me a
     Fatal error $48 while writing the files read from backup disk 4.
     This error is "volume full" but it was nowhere near full.  A retry
     from the beginning produced the same problem.  I have no idea why
     this happened and it could be a fluke.  Also, I attempted to
     restore to a separate volume from the one backed up but it
     insisted on putting files in a folder instead of just replacing
     the existing files, so I had to restore to my main volume, which
     was the one backed up.

Major features                Salvation        ProSel-16
--------------                ---------        ---------
File oriented                    Yes              Yes
Incremental mode                 Yes              Yes
Compound mode                    No               Yes (6)
Error correction                 No               Yes (7)
Compression                      No (8)           Yes (8)
Can use two drives               No (9)           Yes
Can handle all system files      No (10)          Yes
Can erase before restore         No               Yes
Cost                             $50 + $5 P&H     $60 (postpaid)

More notes:
-----------

(6) Compound incremental mode (sometimes called differential) is a
    way of doing incremental backups that requires only one set of
    backup disks instead of a set for each day until the next full
    backup.

(7) Error correction obviates the need for verification, but it is
    much more than that.  Disks often go bad long after they have
    been written and verified.  Error correction is an advanced
    feature that will, with high probability of success, allow
    100% correct restoration from damaged disks.

(8) The compression in ProSel-16 is mainly for sparse files which,
    if expanded, could span up to 21 3.5" disks for a simple 5 block
    file.  These files are rare but they do exist and some programs
    use them for data files.  It is for that reason that earlier
    versions of the ProSel-16 backup had restrictions on sparse
    files, something that is no longer needed.  Salvation fully
    expands sparse files, and thus has the same problem that the
    original version of the ProSel-16 backup had with them.

(9) Salvation can use any drive, but you cannot put backup disks
    in two drives at the same time since the program will always
    insist on writing to the first one in the chain.  The advantage
    of being able to write to two such drives, as ProSel-16 can, is
    that you can be away longer before having to replace the disks.

(10) Not on the boot disk, but it could be done if you boot from a
    separate disk for the backup or restore.

Remarks:
--------

Timings for ProSel-16 are for formatted disks.  Salvation formats as
it writes and thus is faster with new disks.  I believe that it does
not verify the formatting (I could be wrong) so that verification
after the write is more indicatedthan it is with ProSel-16.

If you want to repeat the timing tests, make sure you do not time
ProSel-16 using the same disks that were previously used to time
Salvation.  Salvation does a format when it writes and I think it is
less efficient to read and write the disks it formats than for a
disk formatted in the standard manner.  (I did tests that indicate
that, but not in a very scientific manner, so you can dismiss this
statement if you like.)  In any case, the last disk would not be
completely formatted, and ProSel-16 would not like that much.

Tests were done with formatted disks having the names used by each
program.  Thus neither program required any input from the user
during backup.

rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com (Russel Michel) (02/22/90)

Since the topic of backup programs has come up several times lately, and
people have mentioned the new kid on the block, Salvation, I thought I'd
post a comparison of the two programs available that can handle all GSOS
files (specifically meaning the capability of handling forked files).  It
was written by Glen Bredon of ProSel fame, so it's definately biased, as
Glen freely admits.  It does, however, have some good info for those who
might be considering one of these two (ProSel-16 & Salvation).  Here it
is:

[...]

I personally am quite happy with ProSel-16, but Salvation does seem to have
some good features...I leave further evaluation of Glen's comparison to the
individual reader.

Proline:   rmichel@pro-grouch                         GEnie:  R.MICHEL2
InterNet:  rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com                 AO:     RusselM
ARPA:      crash!pnet01!pro-grouch!rmichel@nosc.mil

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rmichel
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rmichel@nosc.mil
INET: rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey) (02/25/90)

> Does anybody know of any that will back up a Sider with GS/OS?  PD or
> Shareware preferably, but if commercial's all that's available, I'll take
> it.
>
>                                                 Bill Dickson
>
>                                                 DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET
Glen Bredon's BACKUP is what I use.  It's one of the programs that he
furnishes when you buy Prosel.  There's also a 16 bit version that's even
better.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0415

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (02/28/90)

> The magazines lately are featuring ads for a new GS/OS-based backup program
> known as "Salvation", which the ads portray as a fairly nice program.
>
> (This, of course, is not a big surprise.)  Does anyone have experience with
> it?

There's a demo version of Salvation on GEnie as well as a text file from Glen
Bredon comparing Salvation to ProSel 16.

Guess which one Glen likes?

Paul Hutmacher    | crash!pro-europa!paul     |  They were calling to each
P.O. Box 66046    | paul@pro-europa.cts.com   |other in the meter band, their
Houston, TX 77266 | 713/526-0714 3/12/24/9600 |radio voices faint but clear..

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (02/28/90)

> Does anybody know of any that will back up a Sider with GS/OS?  PD or
> Shareware preferably, but if commercial's all that's available, I'll take
> it.
>
> Bill Dickson

ProSEL 16 provides the best currently available (IMHO) backup of GS/OS files,
including forked files (files with resources), etc.  There are a few other
programs that are in development that show promise.  ProSEL 16 is a commercial
program available directly from the author, Glen Bredon, for $60.  It is also
available from Kingwood Micro Software, 3103 Lake Stream Dr., Kingwood, TX
77339  (713)-360-5013  for $52.

ProSEL provides a suite of functions that no hard disk owner should be
without.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!samt
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!samt@nosc.mil
INET: samt@pro-europa.cts.com

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (03/04/90)

Scuse me for sounding dumb, but what the heck does "IMHO" stand for?

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com

JDA@CU.NIH.GOV ("Doug Ashbrook") (03/05/90)

> Scuse me for sounding dumb, but what the heck does "IMHO" stand for?

IMHO, it stands for "In My Humble Opinion"  :-)

supton@pro-novapple.cts.com (Sam Upton) (03/09/90)

Well , I'm not too smart myself , but after seeing it used *many* times , I've
come to the conclusion that it means - "In My Humble Opionion" IMHO <grin>

Sam Upton

proline: pro-novapple!supton
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!supton
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!supton@nosc.mil