[comp.sys.apple] Mac warranty now 1 yr..

mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) (03/08/90)

	Effective March 8, 1990, and retroactive to Jan 1, 1990, ALL
	Apple hardware products will enjoy a one year warranty. There
	is also an AppleCare promotion giving 6 months free with 6 months
	purchased, to ease the feelings of those purchasing prior to Jan 1.

		Can you say, YEAH!

ALE101@psuvm.psu.edu (Allen Edmiston) (03/08/90)

In article <23321@usc.edu>, mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) says:
>        Effective March 8, 1990, and retroactive to Jan 1, 1990, ALL
>        Apple hardware products will enjoy a one year warranty. There
>        is also an AppleCare promotion giving 6 months free with 6 months
>        purchased, to ease the feelings of those purchasing prior to Jan 1.

just wondering, but where did you hear this? sorry, but i'm the type not to
believe this till i hear it from apple... too many times i've seen someone
post some info just to cause trouble. i hope it's true, but state some facts
as to where the info is from.

                                                    Adrian Sullivan
                                                    VP - PAMUG user group
                                            pref -> axs@psuarch.bitnet
                                                    ale101@psuvm.psu.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (03/08/90)

In article <23321@usc.edu> mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) writes:
-	Effective March 8, 1990, and retroactive to Jan 1, 1990, ALL
-	Apple hardware products will enjoy a one year warranty. There
-	is also an AppleCare promotion giving 6 months free with 6 months
-	purchased, to ease the feelings of those purchasing prior to Jan 1.

Well, hurray!  Now we need something to cite as a reference for all
those turkey Apple dealers who never seem to know anything about Apple
products or policies.

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (03/08/90)

In article <23321@usc.edu> mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) writes:

>	Effective March 8, 1990, and retroactive to Jan 1, 1990, ALL
>	Apple hardware products will enjoy a one year warranty. There
>	is also an AppleCare promotion giving 6 months free with 6 months
>	purchased, to ease the feelings of those purchasing prior to Jan 1.
>
>		Can you say, YEAH!

wait a second... deoes this apply to ALL Apple products or just Mac...
the subject line was "Mac warranty now 1 yr.."... I am confused. help please.
--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 50MHz 68040, 64Mb RAM, 660Mb SCSI, |    Chun Yao Liao    |

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (03/08/90)

In article <23321@usc.edu> mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) writes:
> Effective March 8, 1990, and retroactive to Jan 1, 1990, ALL Apple hardware
> products will enjoy a one year warranty.

	If this is true, it's great.  It also is further evidence that
Computer Era is somewhat of a sleazy outfit, even if they do have the lowest
Mac prices I've ever seen.  Their full-page ad in the NY Times yesterday
announced that they are now offering a special deal of 9 extra months of
Computer Era warranty protection on top of Apple's 90 days, for a full year.
If Apple's warranty is now a full year (and it's about time!), then CE's ad
is just hot air.  Now, I wonder why I havn't read rumors of this in MacLeak?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

On Wed, 7 Mar 90 23:15:44 GMT you said:
>    Effective March 8, 1990, and retroactive to Jan 1, 1990, ALL
>    Apple hardware products will enjoy a one year warranty.
>
>         Can you say, YEAH!

Since the list routers knocked off all the useful headers, by the time
this message reached BITNET all trace of actual origin had been deleted.
It has zip credibility in that form.

Not that you care about getting an answer to this post, but if you're going
to post messages to a newsgroup, you should use a .sig (I picked up the
origin from another reply about 20 messages later).

So far, no sign of an Apple press release which Matt or Mark generally
posts when there is one.  I'd heard Apple was planning to make this
announcement (retroactive to 1/1/90) later this month.  I too have only
seen it attributed to Mac products (or simply "Apple"), but I can't see
how Apple could justify not offering the teerms for IIgs products.

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

On Thu, 8 Mar 90 02:27:59 GMT you said:
>In article <23321@usc.edu> mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) writes:
>> Effective March 8, 1990, and retroactive to Jan 1, 1990, ALL Apple hardware
>> products will enjoy a one year warranty.
>
> Now, I wonder why I havn't read rumors of this in MacLeak?

It WAS reported in the January (maybe Feb, I don't have copies at the office)
Vaporware column (quoting an InfoWorld article which I cited in a follow-up
post last week).  MacLeak must be wasting time listening to Chicken Little's
"The Apple II is falling" hysteria.

One glum note: Returnees from an Apple developers conference in Cupertino
last week (maybe the week before -- time flies) report they got the distinct
message "Forget the II, think MAC" (that is "develop FOR the Mac" not just
"develop ON the Mac").  Now, I'd think that folks at Apple would wish to
characterize that as a mis-impression (at least in private correspondence),
but so far only silence (which I won't conclude is confirmation, but along
with others, I DO wonder why Apple pays PR people salaries when they don't
seem to be earning them :-(  Quashing <false> negative rumors is important too!

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

csdgwh@aesd.dnet.ge.com (Reply to G.W.HOFFMAN) (03/09/90)

My service agreement with the local Computer Factory expires soon.
I gave the service manager a call this morning to ask him to write up
my agreement for another year.  The office manager took my request.

When the service manager called me back, he (without prompting) told
me the good news about Apple's AppleCare promotion: he could give me
AppleCare for 1/2 price.

Bottom line: at least one Apple Dealer knows of the AppleCare promotion,
and is willing to give it to their customers without hassle.

Glenn Hoffman

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/09/90)

In article <9003081557.AA19143@apple.com>, SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:

> Since the list routers knocked off all the useful headers, by the time
> this message reached BITNET all trace of actual origin had been deleted.
> It has zip credibility in that form.
>
> So far, no sign of an Apple press release which Matt or Mark generally
> posts when there is one.  I'd heard Apple was planning to make this
> announcement (retroactive to 1/1/90) later this month.

Nope, it has credibility... sure does...

From chuq@Apple.COM Thu Mar  8 10:28:06 1990
Subject: Apple Announces 1 year warranty
Date: 8 Mar 90 15:28:06 GMT

[This was just released to Applelink. I figured a few folks on this net
 might care, too... chuq]

MOVED OVER BUSINESS WIRE AT 8:31 AM, EST,
THURSDAY, MARCH 8, 1990.

Contact:

Brooke Cohan
Apple Computer, Inc.
(408) 974-3019

Wink Grelis
Regis McKenna Inc.
(415) 354-4506

APPLE USA ANNOUNCES ONE-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY AND
SPECIAL CUSTOMER SERVICE PROMOTION

CUPERTINO, California--March 8, 1990--Apple Computer, Inc. today
announced that all Apple hardware products sold in the United States
after January 1, 1990 will be covered by a one-year limited warranty.
The limited warranty provides coverage around the world for U.S.
customers, who can obtain warranty service from any authorized
Apple reseller in more than 80 countries worldwide.  Previously,
the U.S. warranty covered a 90-day period, and warranty service
was available from only U.S. resellers.
     The company also announced that customers who purchased hardware
products in the U.S. prior to January 1, 1990 are eligible for a
special promotional price on AppleCare, Apple's extended service
plan for out-of-warranty products.  AppleCare is available through
authorized Apple resellers in the U.S. and covers replacement parts
and labor.  All Apple systems made since 1978 and purchased in the
U.S. can qualify for this special promotion.
     "Although customers and resellers recognize that Apple makes
quality products, we know they want the additional value and
protection that the new warranty represents.  It is the foundation
upon which Apple will build an increasingly responsive and
comprehensive service and support program," said Morris Taradalsky,
vice president, Customer Service and Information Services
Technologies.
     In the U.S., customers who require hardware repairs during the
first 12 months of ownership simply take the system to any Apple
authorized service provider, present proof of purchase, and their
Apple hardware is serviced at no charge.  For warranty repairs on
products purchased in the U.S. but serviced outside of the U.S.,
customers are required to pay the Apple authorized service provider
for the repairs and then must file a claim for reimbursement from
Apple USA.
     The promotional AppleCare price, which is available from March 19
through May 31, 1990, offers an additional six free months of coverage
when six months are purchased.  For example, the promotional price for
one year of AppleCare for an Apple IIe computer with color monitor
and ImageWriter II printer is $90; for a Macintosh SE computer with
an internal 20 megabyte hard disk the price is $162; and for a
Macintosh IIcx with an internal 40 megabyte hard disk and a color
monitor the price is $246. Volume discounts up to 25 percent are
available depending on the number of Apple products covered.

-30-

Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh and ImageWriter are registered
trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.
END

--

Yeah!