[comp.sys.apple] What does it take for the rumors to cease?

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/10/90)

philip.mcdunnough@canremote.uucp (PHILIP MCDUNNOUGH) writes:

>While I'm at it, there have been so many rumours concerning the demise
>of the Apple//(whether that includes the GS eludes me) on this newsgroup
>that it is really reaching an unbearable limit.

That's because the situation is getting pretty unbearable. The II is in
horrid shape out here in the real world, and Apple is still visibly acting
like Macintosh Computer, Inc.

>The most recent quote
>MacWeek(which seems to be sending conflicting signals with each issue).

MacLEAK prints any rumor they get. They don't care if it's contradictory or
not. MacLEAK is the Enquirer of the computer industry.

>Perhaps a more objective source would be InfoWorld's recent article
>which included an interview with John Sculley(Febuary 5).It is stated
>there that Apple has no intention of dropping the Apple//. Now I believe
>that Mr. Sculley is an honorable man. What does it take for these
>rumours to cease?

Some solid evidence.

New products, vigorously announced, distributed and advertised. You know what
these are all supposed to be. I want a //f too but they couldn't announce that.

The constant implication that more is on the way. This non-disclosure crap is
a major hindrance, and with no product momentum it is a bad sign to anyone who
is considering developing for the II.

And cattle prods in the software industry to get them moving again... Fixing
APW and researching a GOOD C compiler for the 65816 (it really doesn't have one
yet).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu