[comp.sys.apple] Disk drive problem

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin O. Lepard") (12/06/88)

Recently, while typing OA-S to save a document in appleworks, all four disk
drives came on (background: //GS, 2 3.5" disk drives, 2 5.25" disk drives,
Sider D4a that was off at the time) and didn't go off.

Immediately after this incident, my Sider stopped working (we're talking
totally, totally dead).  I've heard that there is a bug in the ROMs of the
Apple 3.5" disks that can cause the second 5.25" disk drive to come on and
not go off, but is it possible that it can do actual hardware damage?

I haven't had the ROMs in my Apple 3.5" disks (not unidisks 3.5, by the way)
replaced because I so rarely have the problem with s6,d2 coming on like that.

Does anyone have any advice, insights, or ideas on what happened and if it
is related to the death of my Sider?  If it's related, I'd really like to know
so I don't reinstall and kill another Sider.

Many, many thanks to anyone who can help me.

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet

jla@hogbbs.Fidonet.Org (Slartibartfast) (12/07/88)

-> Does anyone have any advice, insights, or ideas on what
-> happened and if it
-> is related to the death of my Sider?  If it's related, I'd
-> really like to know
-> so I don't reinstall and kill another Sider.
The only thing that I could think of is to re-format the Sider.  Or do you
suspect a hardware problem with the Sider now....
--
Fidonet : 1:263/42    Jim Anderson    |
UUCP    : ..psuvax1!psuhcx!hogbbs!jla |       This Space

nazgul@pro-angmar.UUCP (System Administrator) (03/10/90)

[Please reply to the address below (steffan@pro-angmar.cts.com), I'm just
forwarding this because it bounced.  -sysop]

------ Forwarded Message #1 ------
Date: Thu,  8 Mar 90 10:58:22 EST
From: mdss (Mail Delivery SubSystem)
To: nazgul
Subject: Returned Mail

This message failed because "crash" not found in /a/mdss.

	Sincerely,

	mdss@pro-angmar