[comp.sys.apple] SoundSmith

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (01/16/90)

Since I couldn't mail to the submitter of SoundSmith directly (no UUCP),
here is a quick problem that I had trying to get SoundSmith just about
5-10 minutes ago.

In comp.binaries.apple2 you write:

>SoundSmith part 1 of 4 for the GS.  Read the description on
>Part 4.

Well, I downloaded it and unbinscii'ed it and then took it to Shrinkit,
and it dies trying to unshrinkit.  Something about bad data.  From
binscii, I noticed that it read in the first $3000 bytes at $000000, then
$3000 at $009000, $3000 at $012000 (i believe), $3000 at $01B000 (i
think), but nothing between $003000 - $009000 was unencoded, which
doesn't seem right.  Of course, I could be getting my binary addresses
all confused, but something is definitely messing up, and it looks like
it's a loss of data somewhere.  The Axel F sounds also would not
Unshrink completly (the last one, the first two are okay)

-kareth.

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (01/16/90)

This regards SoundSmith (posted to comp.binaries.apple2):

>Well, I downloaded it and unbinscii'ed it and then took it to Shrinkit,
>and it dies trying to unshrinkit.  Something about bad data.  From
>binscii, I noticed that it read in the first $3000 bytes at $000000, then
>$3000 at $009000, $3000 at $012000 (i believe), $3000 at $01B000 (i
>think), but nothing between $003000 - $009000 was unencoded, which
>doesn't seem right.

>-kareth.

I had this BinSCII problem with the Axel F files.  I tried downloading those
first, and BinSCII took a very long time with the first $3000 bytes, then
put the next block in at $9000.  Every other BinSCII file tacks the blocks
on to the end of the last one.  I couldn't Unshrink the last Axel F file
either.

Howard C. Huang
huang@husc4.harvard.edu

bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (01/16/90)

When I copied the soundsmith files from my system, the

FiLeStArTfIlEsTaRt headings were missing in a lot of places (I also got an
extra return randomly placed in the 3rd section of each file, but I did so much
processing to put those back in it might be my fault.).

Just go to the lines that have only 4 characters and a CR and add a line
after that with the FiLe... string above.

That should fix everything...
Appleworks 2.0 couldn't do it (it likes to add a space after the 60th
character.  I actually used WriteIT! NDA and used the scroll bar to approximate
the 1/3 and 2/3 points where the string was mssing).

I don't have AW3.0 or AWGS so they might work as a good editer...

MACAUSLANDR@vax1.cosv.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (01/21/90)

Has anyone tried the reposted version of SoundSmith?  When I run it on my
machine I get an 'unable to...... error$0201'  Has anyone had this error.
How much memory does it require?

RM

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (01/21/90)

MACAUSLANDR@vax1.cosv.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:
> Has anyone tried the reposted version of SoundSmith?  When I run it on my
> machine I get an 'unable to...... error$0201'  Has anyone had this error.
> How much memory does it require?
>
> RM

  I have had no problems with it whatsoever.  I believe $0201 is out
of memory, but I don't know how much it needs.  I've got 1.25 megs,
and it works fine...

  Does anyone have any other music for it?  Axel F was good, but it
gets boring after a while....

		-Greg T.

jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) (01/22/90)

Several people have been asking for more music to play on SoundSmith.
There are five song DISKS (full 3.5" disks) available on America Online.
Each disk is crammed as much as possible with lots of insturments and
songs you can probably recognize from the "top 40" radio stations.

It would require quite a bit of effort to binscii these things and put
them on the binaries, however, and it would also cost quite a bit of money
to distribute it to all these machines.  I am not sure if it would be
considered "proper" to upload such huge files to the net.

To give you an example, the average download time @ 2400 baud for ONE
of the disks is about 40 minutes.  Binscii will make it 25% larger (it
converts 8 bits into 6 bits).  I'm sure it took most of you a good
amount of time just grabbing SoundSmith from the binaries and unpacking
that.

It took me much longer to pack it up and send it to the binaries.

Anyway, the song disks are pretty good and if you can get them from America
Online, I suggest you can.  At about $3 a disk, 2400 baud, that's not bad.

Jeff
jeffn@nuchat.sccsi.com   | IF YOU ARE ON .EDU, PLEASE USE THE ADDRESS BELOW:
jeffn@nuchat.uucp        |
...uunet!nuchat!jeffn    | jeffn%nuchat.uucp@uhvax1.uh.edu

TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET ("Ed 'Apple Guru' Moore") (02/10/90)

I recently downloaded Soundsmith from apple2-l.  But when I try to run
it under system 4.0, it says it dosen't have enough tools and crashes.  When
I try to run it under system 5.0, it prompts me to change to my startup
disk, loads some info, scans the drives, then crashes into the monitor.

What do I need to do?

I have a rom 2 gs with 1.25M, a 3.5 drive, and a 5.25 drive.

TSEMM@ALASKA

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (02/11/90)

In article <9002100757.AA23652@apple.com> TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET ("Ed 'Apple Guru' Moore") writes:

>I recently downloaded Soundsmith from apple2-l.  But when I try to run
>it under system 4.0, it says it dosen't have enough tools and crashes.  When
I haven't tried system 4.0.

>I try to run it under system 5.0, it prompts me to change to my startup
>disk, loads some info, scans the drives, then crashes into the monitor.
Ditto here!

>What do I need to do?

>I have a rom 2 gs with 1.25M, a 3.5 drive, and a 5.25 drive.
I have the same set up, except 2.25 meg.  In order to get Soundsmith to
work for some reason, is copy it to RAM and run it from there.  It seems
that Soundsmith doesn't like that disk swap at all.  Otherwise, it's one
of the nicest programs I've seen.  I think DiversiTune could really
benefit from sharp interface like Soundsmith.

-k

In article <9002100757.AA23652@apple.com> <TSEMM%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> writes:
<I recently downloaded Soundsmith from apple2-l.  But when I try to run
<it under system 4.0, it says it dosen't have enough tools and crashes.  When
<I try to run it under system 5.0, it prompts me to change to my startup
<disk, loads some info, scans the drives, then crashes into the monitor.
<
<What do I need to do?
<
<I have a rom 2 gs with 1.25M, a 3.5 drive, and a 5.25 drive.
          ^^^^^ Guess you mean "ROM 01".. What, now we're recursively
changing all past ROM #s to keep up with the current numbering scheme? heh heh
	But seriously, just DigiCopy [just to name something very
quick] SoundSmith to an 800K /ram5, boot up the system disk, and run Sound-
Smith..

	Or quicker, copy over (w/Digicopy or whatever) the SYSTEM disk
to /ram5 so it'll boot like a bat out of hell.

	Speaking of that.. I've got a question for other people [please
change subject line when appropriate]:  When I try to do that, when I
boot off of the ramdisk, it gives me some error like ERROR READING BOOT
VOLUME NAME.. (I think that's the one)... But I can boot fine off of
the floppy disk. Any ideas? It used to work fine for me.

	Also, does System 5.02 have different version #s shown when you
hit space upon bootup? I supposedly got 5.02 a few weeks ago but all
of the version #s were the same.

--
If you want info about a 20 meg "floptical" drive mail me. YOU CAN ALSO
GET ONE FOR --$440-- (NEW **LOWER** PRICE!) BY MAILING ME. [WE HAVE TO GET

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (02/11/90)

I had the same problem, All I did was make a special folder on the
soundsmith disk. and created a small ramdisk.  when I boot up the finder. I
just copy the s.smith files, the title, the prog, the init stuff, and the
opening music, to the ramdisk. and run it off the ram disk. oncve it is
loaded, I insert my s.smith tools and run the files from there.

nagendra

drew@pro-houston.cts.com (Andrew Freeman) (02/13/90)

>I recently downloaded Soundsmith from apple2-l.  But when I try to run
>it under system 4.0, it says it dosen't have enough tools and crashes.  When
>I try to run it under system 5.0, it prompts me to change to my startup
>disk, loads some info, scans the drives, then crashes into the monitor.
>
>What do I need to do?
>
>I have a rom 2 gs with 1.25M, a 3.5 drive, and a 5.25 drive.

Where did you get a Rom 2 gs?  Anyway you need to put the program on a Ram
disk or put it on the system disk.  I had the same problem for a while and it
really frustrated me!

Andrew

   uucp: crash!pro-houston!drew          |"Trying to change its program       |
arpanet: crash!pro-houston!drew@nosc.mil | Trying to change its mode          |
   inet: drew@pro-houston.cts.com        | Crack the code. Images conflicting |
 bitnet: pro-houston.uucp!drew@psuvax1   | Into data overload..."             |

drew@pro-europa.cts.com (Andrew Freeman) (03/12/90)

I was wondering how much memory is required to run SoundSmith 0.9.  I could
run 0.7 with 1.125 megs and now with v0.9 I get an error 201 message when I
try to run it.  I guess I need to get some more ram sometime.

Andrew

   uucp: crash!pro-europa!drew         | Save me someone's come to change me |
arpanet: crash!pro-europa!drew@nosc.mi | Misled, delusions color real        |
   inet: drew@pro-europa.cts.com       | Black and white, they'll paint me   |
 bitnet: pro-europa.uucp!drew@psuvax1  | Never see until you feel            |
                                       |  - Frank Aresti / Fates Warning -   |