[comp.sys.apple] GS/Shrinkit

UN027265@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU (Eric Krichbaum) (02/26/90)

Hey, When are we going to see this wonder product.  I like 2.1a but I would
love a GS version even more.  (How about a built in BINSCII)

Also, as a second note, if we could get our wishes...  In the next BINSCII,
how about a catalog feature from the menu?

                                         Just wishing my life away,
                                                        Eric

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (02/27/90)

In article <9002260537.AA20586@apple.com> UN027265@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU (Eric Krichbaum) writes:
>Hey, When are we going to see this wonder product.  I like 2.1a but I would
>love a GS version even more.  (How about a built in BINSCII)

I've suggested this to Andy. We'll see.

>Also, as a second note, if we could get our wishes...  In the next BINSCII,
>how about a catalog feature from the menu?

Too late... I already did it. In fact the new system is quite similar
to the guts of Z-Link (should be - that's where I got the code). At
any rate, file selection couldn't be more painless. I just have to fix
up the basic UI and write in some other hooks for version 2.0.

--
Dave Whitney
dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu  ...!mit-eddie!sun-bear!dcw  dcw@athena.mit.edu

MACAUSLANDR@watt.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (02/27/90)

I was wondering when the planned release date for shrinkit GS was?  Soon
I hope.  We've been hearing about it for quite a while :-)

TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET ("Ed 'Apple Guru' Moore") (02/27/90)

Extending on what Eric Krichbaum said, what about menu selection with
mousetext or the like?

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (02/28/90)

In article <9002260537.AA20586@apple.com>, UN027265@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU (Eric Krichbaum) writes:

> Hey, When are we going to see this wonder product.  I like 2.1a but I would
> love a GS version even more.  (How about a built in BINSCII)

I'm past the point where I can accurately estimate a release date for
gs/shrinkit... it'll get done whenever it gets done.

andy

--

Yeah!

UN027265@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU (Eric Krichbaum) (03/01/90)

A few points of interest to those rare people who are interested in
anything.

1.)  Andy, I didn't mean to sound like I am rushing you.  Inspiration cannot
       be placed under time constraints.  I will patiently wait, as I have
       for many other fine products.

which brings me to point 2...
2.)  Graphicwriter III...   It's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I can't
       believe my eyes.  And believe it or not, it's excellent.  Beats
       Multiscribe GS or Appleworks GS hands down.  If anyone is intersted,
       leave a message and I'll do a full review.

3.)  Tunnels of Armageddon - An excellent 3-D/High speed/Hyper powered maze
        game.  In this game, you pilot a tank/ship through a 3-D maze with
        multi-path, multi-things-to-shoot, and low-multi-time.  It is both
        timed and scored (by time and things you shoot.)  If you get the
        chance, try this one out.  Protected by a code wheel protection
        scheme, but only requires a 1 byte change if you don't wish to dig
        out your manuals.   Leave e-mail for the byte.  * for personal use only

3.)  Battlechess - An excellent 3-D chess game.  As good as the Amiga or IBM
        versions.  Protected by manual/word protection (also only a byte or
        two change.)  Not 5.0 compatible.  Oh well.

                                        Eric

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (03/01/90)

In article <9003010625.AA24978@apple.com>, UN027265@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU (Eric Krichbaum) writes...
>2.)  Graphicwriter III...   It's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I can't
>       believe my eyes.  And believe it or not, it's excellent.  Beats
>       Multiscribe GS or Appleworks GS hands down.  If anyone is intersted,
>       leave a message and I'll do a full review.

OK Lets have a review :-)

/chris
|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/02/90)

In article <9003010625.AA24978@apple.com>, UN027265@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU (Eric Krichbaum) writes:

> 1.)  Andy, I didn't mean to sound like I am rushing you.  Inspiration cannot
>        be placed under time constraints.  I will patiently wait, as I have
>        for many other fine products.

That's quite alright... you start to get a thick skin (and skull) when you
write software like this...

andy

--

Yeah!

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (03/02/90)

In article <1146@batman.moravian.EDU> nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) writes:

>In article <9002260537.AA20586@apple.com>, UN027265@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU (Eric Krichbaum) writes:

>> Hey, When are we going to see this wonder product.  I like 2.1a but I would
>> love a GS version even more.  (How about a built in BINSCII)

>I'm past the point where I can accurately estimate a release date for
>gs/shrinkit... it'll get done whenever it gets done.

Well, I was wondering, the new gs/shrinkit will encompass lots of new
formats and the alike, right?  Is it these parts that are delaying the
release, or the shrinkit format part?  I, personally, wouldn't mind
having a semi-release with only the shrinkit part working, and all the
other options just saying "not active" when trying to invoke em.
Totally far-fetched idea?  Seems like it would be a great way to get
gs/shrinkit out to folks, and satisfy them, while you continue to work
on formats that aren't as important to the II's (yet).

-k

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/03/90)

In article <4293@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:

>>I'm past the point where I can accurately estimate a release date for
>>gs/shrinkit... it'll get done whenever it gets done.
>
> Well, I was wondering, the new gs/shrinkit will encompass lots of new
> formats and the alike, right?

No, not really.  It's just a desktop version of shrinkit, that's all.

(my beta testers are sitting here looking at this, going "not really..." :-)

> Is it these parts that are delaying the release, or the shrinkit format part?

Neither.  I am a college student, not a full-time programmer.  I work on
ShrinkIt 3.0, GS/ShrinkIt 1.0, and my janterm which involved programming and
ran way over schedule also, whenever I'm not in class or studying.  I usually
"work" 18-22 hour days just to keep up with stuff.  For example, today I've been
awake since about 11am thursday morning (it's now after 12 noon, friday)
and have taken a spanish exam (I hate spanish, bah, liberal arts), debugged
a large section of gs/shrinkit code which was giving me problems, did my usual
studying and/or errands and am about to sit down and write a paper on the
'indigenous political systems of the Igbo' for what may become my history
major (I have a CS major already and history is easy).  Most people around my
college who know me think I'm nuts and push myself too hard (they are probably
right).

If you haven't tried writing a large program like GS/ShrinkIt, you should.  It's
a very eye-opening experience... :-)

> I, personally, wouldn't mind
> having a semi-release with only the shrinkit part working, and all the
> other options just saying "not active" when trying to invoke em.

That's a nice idea, but I'm not going to do it.  Too many people are going to
want copies of this and having to update it "as I work on it" will just end
up confusing people ta' death.  I would much rather fix bugs and confuse people
than add features and confuse people... if I have a choice. (I do)

> Totally far-fetched idea?  Seems like it would be a great way to get
> gs/shrinkit out to folks, and satisfy them, while you continue to work
> on formats that aren't as important to the II's (yet).

Well, folks will just have to wait.  They've waited this long, another
XX years won't hurt.  Look at how long we had to wait for System 4.0
containing GS/OS. :-)

andy

--

Yeah!

jimdean@bcrka125.bnr.ca (Jim Dean 1574326) (03/07/90)

In article <9003010625.AA24978@apple.com> UN027265@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU (Eric Krichbaum) writes:
>2.)  Graphicwriter III...   It's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I can't
>       believe my eyes.  And believe it or not, it's excellent.  Beats
>       Multiscribe GS or Appleworks GS hands down.  If anyone is intersted,
>       leave a message and I'll do a full review.

Eric, I think that a review would be of great interest, especially to me, since
I am in the market for just such a beast.
--
Don't use address in the header, send email to BITNET/NETNORTH: jimdean@bnr.ca
Jim Dean            |   Bell-Northern Research, Ltd    | "Badgers? We don't need no
Don't use address in the header, send email to BITNET/NETNORTH: jimdean@bnr.ca
Jim Dean            |   Bell-Northern Research, Ltd    | "Badgers? We don't need no
Ph.: (613) 763-2135 |     P.O. Box 3511, Station C     |  stinkin' badgers." -- UHF
Fax: (613) 763-8825 | Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7 |   (Raoul's Wild Kingdom)

chines@pro-houston.cts.com (Clifford Hines) (03/12/90)

I am sure that whatever you can come up with will be great. I use Shrinkit to
pack all my non-text uploads and it works like a charm. Good luck with the
rest of school.
Cliff

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!chines
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!chines@nosc.mil
INET: chines@pro-houston.cts.com

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/12/90)

In article <1811@crash.cts.com>, chines@pro-houston.cts.com (Clifford Hines) writes:

> I am sure that whatever you can come up with will be great. I use Shrinkit to
> pack all my non-text uploads and it works like a charm. Good luck with the
> rest of school.

hang on cliff, good things are coming..

> Cliff

andy