[comp.sys.apple] HELP, is there any way to recover this data

koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) (03/09/90)

Apple people:

Do any of you know of any tool/product/technique which will allow recovery of
data from a disk which is reported by the system to be damaged?  I am not quite
sure of the actual message as I am posting this at the request of my boss (it's
his machine, I'm an ms-dos user and can't seem to help him).  Anyway, he did
manage after several tries to get a directory listing but did not take
advantage of that and has been unable to repeat.  I started babling about
'DEBUG.COM', Norton Utilites, MACE utilities, PC-Tools, etc.  Do similar
products exist for the Apple ][C line??  Are they expensive??

Just got more info....  it is an 'AppleWorks' DATA disk, it cannot be copied OR
loaded into AppleWorks, ProDOS verify reports that disk appears damaged.
Please reply via E-MAIL as I am very unlikely to read this newsgroup.

various addresses which will reach me:

	koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil
	koziarz@tisss.radc.af.mil
	koziarz@tops20.radc.af.mil
	koziarzw@lonex.radc.af.mil
	koziarzw@misvax.radc.af.mil

Thank you for the time and effort!!!!!

Walt K.

v38611d@taltta.hut.fi (Tero Korento) (03/11/90)

In article <1984@nosc.NOSC.MIL> koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil.UUCP (Walter A. Koziarz) writes:
>Apple people:
>
>Do any of you know of any tool/product/technique which will allow recovery...

since you seem hard to reach by mail (returned mail user unknown?!!?) I'll
answer you here:

Seems like you need LIFSAVER, a program which recovers damaged sectors by
twisting and wrenching the drive head over and over until it gets a trace
ever so small of whats been on the disk and then recovers it.
It Actually recovered a disk I spilled coffee on without loosing a single bit!
However I don't know where to get it from, maybe some local dedicated apple
user could help you.

Good luck!

---

--- Tero Korento ---

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (03/12/90)

In article <1990Mar10.182420.25010@santra.uucp> v38611d@taltta.hut.fi (Tero Korento) writes:
>In article <1984@nosc.NOSC.MIL> koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil.UUCP (Walter A. Koziarz) writes:
>>Apple people:
>>Do any of you know of any tool/product/technique which will allow recovery...

>since you seem hard to reach by mail (returned mail user unknown?!!?) I'll
>answer you here:
>
>Seems like you need LIFSAVER, a program which recovers damaged sectors by
[stuff deleted]
>However I don't know where to get it from, maybe some local dedicated apple
>user could help you.
>Good luck!
>--- Tero Korento ---

	I am pretty sure it's from Nibble, or MindCraft.

--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 50MHz 68040, 64Mb RAM, 660Mb SCSI, |    Chun Yao Liao    |

NCU10001@UFRJ.BITNET ("Roberto N.") (03/13/90)

Some good software that can help you.

Dark
Bag of Tricks II (Very Good)
Copy II Plus
Nibbles Away III

I'm sure you can save your information with this Utilitis

 Roberto N.
 Ncu10001@UFRJ.BITNET