[comp.sys.apple] Education and the II

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/11/90)

The following was posted by Bob Matsuoka on GEnie earlier today.  I thought
folks might find it interesting...

--------
Category 5,  Topic 9
Message 63        Sat Mar 10, 1990
R.MATSUOKA [want IIF]        at 02:00 EST

 Apple Computers in Education

 I though some of you may be interested in the following statistics I've
 derived from figures published in the October, 1989 issue of _Electronic
 Learning_. They polled all of the states departments of education for
 various information regarding technology use in K-12 schools. One of the
 tables lists numbers of computers, with categories for each of the models
 I've listed below.  The charts they published only showed the actual
 numbers of computer in each category.  I've compiled the figures into
 percentages based on brand and model.

    Source: Electronic Learning, 1989 Survey of the States

    State Information
    ---------------------------
    Total States           51  (including Puerto Rico)
    States Responding      25
  * Not Responding         26
    Total Computers        668,053

  * California, Colorado, Connecticut, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire,
    New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma,  Pennsylvania,
    Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wyoming

    Computer Brand:        No.    Percent
    ---------------  ---------  ---------
    Apple II          264,821      52.65%
    IBM                84,927      16.88%
    Tandy              72,940      14.50%
    Commodore          45,732       9.09%
    Other              34,609       6.88%
    MS-DOS Clones      12,614       2.51%
    Apple Macintosh     7,927       1.58%

    Total             503,029     100.00%

    Computer System:       No.    Percent
    ---------------- ---------  ---------
    Apple II+/e/c     189,356      53.42%
    Other              34,609       9.76%
    IBM PC/XT/AT       24,248       6.84%
    C64/128            23,249       6.56%
    TRS-80             22,966       6.48%
    Apple GS           16,826       4.75%
    MS-DOS Clone       12,614       3.56%
    IBM PS/2           10,889       3.07%
    Macintosh           7,927       2.24%
    PET                 6,561       1.85%
    Tandy 100           3,980       1.12%
    Tandy 1000          1,214        .34%

    Total             354,439     100.00%

 As you can see, there is considerable discrepancy among the tables,
 especially in the total number of computers.  This is due to the fact that
 many of the states didn't list individual models, just manufacturers, and
 some only gave total number of computers.

 Also significant are the number of states that didn't reply, including the
 two most populous.  The percentages seem pretty consistent with figures
 I've heard bandied about, though.

 The article did not mention what 'other' computers were, but I assume they
 include CP/M, orphaned systems, Amiga, and Atari (their 8 bit as well as
 ST) among others.

 I have seen Apple make more of a marketing effort in education recently,
 but most of seems aimed at teachers (Mac+,SE) and administration (Mac II).
  The SE vs GS ad has popped up a few times.  IBM, Commodore and Tandy are
 also advertising, and doing a much better job of stressing their
 respective machines' strong points, in my opinion.  Apple's ads don't even
 mention that the GS now comes standard w/ 1 Meg RAM and improved OS, for
 example.

 Apple still has a commanding lead in number of machines installed; that
 lead is eroding quickly.  If Apple does plan to end production of 8-bit
 II's, as I've heard, they had better make sure the GS gets the attention
 it needs and deserves or there will be no motivation for schools to
 continue with Apple.  From these figures it seems fairly clear that the
 Mac has little or no chance to succeed in this market.  The irony is that
 the best education software, in my opinion, is being made for the GS right
 now and it appears the numbers of GS specific products are increasing.
 Educational software that runs on MS-DOS machines are ports of 8-bit II
 stuff, mostly, as the typical DOS box in schools can't run programs with
 the sound and graphics capability of the GS (I doubt if more than 10-15%
 of the PCs in K-12 schools have greater than CGA, for example).  Lots of
 computer manufacturers (Tandy, HeadStart) are selling _very_ low cost
 machines with decent graphics and DOS shells built in, however, so Apple
 can't afford to be complacent.

  -/---\-
  / Bob \

 p.s. If anyone is interested in the original figures, send me Email.
 p.p.s. It looks like I left out some of the states that didn't respond.
--------
--

Yeah!

shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (03/13/90)

In article <1199@batman.moravian.EDU> nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) writes:
>The following was posted by Bob Matsuoka on GEnie earlier today.  I thought
>folks might find it interesting...

[lots of nice stats comparing which computers are used in schools deleted]

What would be nice to go along with these stats is the distribution of computer
purchases rather then what they have.  Is the overwhelming lead of the Apple II
due to old models, or are schools still buying Apples?  If not, are they buying
MS-DOS machines, or Macs?  I bet (hope?) Apple would wake up if the former.
---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center MN65-2100
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar