[comp.sys.apple] FTP from non-Internet sites

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (03/10/90)

Please, everyone, stop whining about non-FTP capability, since if you
can read this, you HAVE IT!

Send mail to BITFTP@PUCC.bitnet with the word "HELP" as the body.

If you can receive mail, BITFTP can ftp for you!

And since we all know how to use APPLE2-L, (:-), using BITFTP is
basically the same thing.

Sending mail to PUCC:  It's on the Internet, so use your favorite route to
the Internet if you are a uucp site.  Or try BITFTP@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU.

			Kent

kadickey.phoenix.Princeton.EDU

WAXMONRW@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (03/12/90)

Kent Dickey said "If you can receive mail, BITFTP can ftp for you!".  True,
but not to all FTP sites.  As for example, SIMTEL20 which is a storehous of
MSDOS, CPM and various other programs.  It may be true for APPLE program
sources but not for MSDOS, and some of us do use both.

NOSES@DBNINF5.BITNET (Achim Patzner) (03/13/90)

HELO DBNINF5
TICK 2345
MAIL FROM: <Noses@DBNINF5>
RCPT TO:   <Sewall@UCONNVM>
DATA
Date sent:  Fr 3/9/90 18:20 MEZ
From:       Noses <Noses@DBNINF5>
To:         <Sewall@UCONNVM>
Subj:       Re: Forthcoming gateway to America On-Line
> A different source doubts that GEnie is aware of the Internet.  That seems
> strange because I'm told that AppleLink (Corporate) runs on the same
> computer (AppleLink.Apple.COM).

Wrong... and that's the reason why <user>@applelink.apple.com won't always
work. It's the mailer-daemon of apple.com which sends the mail back to
dasnet.com; sometimes this daemon tends to be stingy and just eats the mail
(seems to be imported from Scottland 8-) ) so you should always the
'correct' form and send it to <user>%applelink@apple.com (or @das.net or
any alternative names for them). Sometimes I'm *really* happy our user group
stopped wasting money on that Applelink account; even running our own
subnet (German rogue-uucp) mailbox is cheaper...

> I'd think that GEnie would be a competitive
> disadvantage compared to CIS and MCImail (to say nothing of FidoNet which
> ALSO has gateways to the Internet) if they remain isolated.

8-))) Yes... Fido has gateways to the Internet. But don't ever rely on mail
really being delivered. You might have nightmares...

> /s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]

Achim
(Noses@DBNINF5)