[comp.sys.apple] Hyper C

ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary Gray) (02/23/89)

Did everyone get a full copy of Hyper C? My location only got
part 4-7.  Was there some mess up or is that the whole compiler?

Terminally confused.

--
      __
     /    AR \  /    GGRAY@WPI.BITNET
    |  __     \/
     \__| RA  /

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (02/24/89)

Here in Central Ohio, we got parts 0-3 on one day, and parts 4-7 on another
(the next?  I dont remember).  So all 8 parts did arrive.  Last nite I downloaded
all 8 parts to my machine.  I used binscii 1.01 to decode it.  I got no
error messages, and I was not told whether I was missing any parts, etc.

I then ran ShrinkIt 0.95.  It told me that the LBR type file was a 140k
disk image.  It showed me that I had '4' drives online.  2 were 3.5" and
2 were 5.25".  It asked me where I wanted to unshrink the file.  I said one
of my 3.5" and shrinkit said , in effect, 'no way'.  So I put a disk in my
5.25" (i hate those things) and said to use s6d1.  It said that my drive
was write protected.  What REALLY was the problem is that I had the slot 6
turned to disk port - and there was no disk drive there.  For some reason
shrinkit thought there was a drive there.  I turned the slot to my card and
fooled around until I got the GS to change its mind about the slot.  I then
tried shrinkit again.  This time I was told that the disk wasnt formatted -
probably true.  I told shrinkit to format it and it did, though it didnt ask
me what name to call the volume.  I then got to select the only item in this
library so that i could unpack it.  The drive hummed and shreeked a while while
the to be done bar was filling up.  Finally shrinkit was done.  I backed up
a menu and selected catalog.  I tried to select the 5.25" drive, but shrinkit
claimed there wasnt anything there.  So I left shrinkit and tried cataloging
the disk from davex/ecp8 - no good.  Then I went to the Apple Sys.Utils
utiltiy to see if perhaps this was a DOS 3.3 disk.  No good - sysutil.system
says that the disk 'contains a foreign operating system or is otherwise
unreadable' or words to that effect.

I think that binscii and shrinkit has some checksumming dont they - so that
they can tell if the file being processed has been corrupted?  If not,
PLEASE add this to the commands!  Otherwise, folks spend a lot of wasted
time.

As for the problem being discussed, did anyone check to be sure that the
disk that was packaged was indeed a working disk?

--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

hanson@gwchem.waterloo.edu (Ernie Hanson) (02/25/89)

In article <827@n8emr.UUCP>, lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

> As for the problem being discussed, did anyone check to be sure that the
> disk that was packaged was indeed a working disk?
>
> --
> Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
> 75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)
> osu-cis!n8emr!lwv@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (INTERNET)
> The world's not inherited from our parents, but borrowed from our children.

For those of you who are wondering if the original was a working disk, I can
assure you that it was because I have successfully unpacked it on my IIe.

The disk seems to contain a non-standard operating system (which I think they
refer to as cdos) so you must actually boot the disk - you can't look at it
from either dos or prodos.

So far, the only thing I have been able to do is get a directory (using ls)
and look at a few of the text files.  Without the proper documentation, it
doesn't appear to be very useful.

Ernie Hanson

--
Ernie Hanson	 |Bitnet:   hanson@gwchem.uwaterloo.ca  |GENIE:      E.HANSON1
129 Albert St.   |Internet: hanson@gwchem.waterloo.edu  |COMPUSERVE: 72427,3365

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (02/25/89)

In article <827@n8emr.UUCP>, lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

	[notes about unpacking Hyper C deleted.]

    First off, I you had followed the discussion of Hyper C over the past month
you would have know that this shareware version of Hyper C being passed around
is implemented using a proprietary OS called CDOS v1.3.

    Second, there are complaints about using Hyper C on a //gs. Well, Hyper C
is copyrighted 1985. There are possiblities that it will not run on an //gs.

    Third, After having Shrinkit v0.95 spin my 5.25" drive fruitlessly, I
followed a posting stating that it should be unshrunk from one 5.25" drive to
a second. I did that and it worked. (This is on an Apple //c (first release
motherboard with 3.5 rom upgrade))  Will this fix your problem, I don't know,
but I doubt it.

   Finally, since the WSM Group has gone out of business (or atleast appears
that way), It would be nice to find the authors of Hyper C and persuade them to
release the ProDOS and DOS 3.3 versions of Hyper C to the freeware domain.  Can
they be found, or is that just wishful thinking.

--
Matthew Lee Stier     (919) 469-8300|
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27560|          "Wisconsin   Escapee"

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (02/25/89)

After downloading Hyper C, I ran it through Binscii v1.01 and then
Shrinkit v0.95 but.. Shrinkit would format the disk, then proceed to unshrink
only the first segment, then the disk would just spin and spin and... nothing
happened after that.

To top THAT off, after realizing that this was not going to work I tried to
delete the old files - that is, all the files with the Binscii'd text and the
Shrinkit-packed file - and none of them would delete.  Copy II+ and BLU
report error $56, bad buffer address.  BASIC says NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE.

I don't like having 7 files, 36 blocks each, and 1 file, 191 blocks taking
up my space!!  GRR!!

       [david]

--
======== David Douthitt :::: Madison, WI :::: The Stainless Steel Rat ========
FidoNet: 1:121/1 or 1:121/2            {decvax|att}!

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (02/26/89)

In article <511@madnix.UUCP> I wrote:
| ....I tried to
| delete the old files - that is, all the files with the Binscii'd text and the
| Shrinkit-packed file - and none of them would delete.  Copy II+ and BLU
| report error $56, bad buffer address.  BASIC says NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE.

I then wrote a program KILL whose sole purpose was to make a DESTROY call to
the Prodos MLI.  It too returned an Error #56.  According to the Apple
Prodos Technical Reference Manual and Beneath Apple Prodos, the DESTROY call
does NOT return an error #56.

Then I had a flash... I normally use Prodos v1.1.1 because of a modified
QUIT code I had.  So, I thought, what if I use that Prodos v1.4 that I've
been saving... lo and behold, the files deleted ok.

Is this a Prodos BUG?  Sure sounds like it.  Of course, we're up to 1.7 now
are we not?

        [david]

--

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (02/26/89)

> a menu and selected catalog.  I tried to select the 5.25" drive, but shrinkit
> claimed there wasnt anything there.  So I left shrinkit and tried cataloging
> the disk from davex/ecp8 - no good.  Then I went to the Apple Sys.Utils
> utiltiy to see if perhaps this was a DOS 3.3 disk.  No good - sysutil.system
> says that the disk 'contains a foreign operating system or is otherwise
> unreadable' or words to that effect.
>
> I think that binscii and shrinkit has some checksumming dont they - so that
> they can tell if the file being processed has been corrupted?  If not,
> PLEASE add this to the commands!  Otherwise, folks spend a lot of wasted
> download time.
>
> As for the problem being discussed, did anyone check to be sure that the
> disk that was packaged was indeed a working disk?

Have you tried booting the disk???... if you were paying attention to the net
or had asked about it you would have known that Hyper C uses it's own OS which
is not quite compatible with ProDOS or any other DOS whatsoever (that was the
main reason why it was made PD!!)  I will however be sending the OS "SOURCES"
for posting next week and then, all you happy hackers out there can see about
modifying it for ProDOS compatibility...
I've spoken to a local guy here who has also d/l'ed HyperC and it works
perfectly for him..

Chris - using the acct of a friend cuz I'm too lazy to go up to the mainframe
and send from my own acct there.... :-)

Disclaimer-> the same old stuff...
Replies -> CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET or CYLau@UNCAMULT%UNCACDC.BITNET

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (02/26/89)

HyperC uses it's own disk operating system,  IT DOES NOT USE PRODOS OR
DOS 3.3.

Vince

demarco@CPSC.UCalgary.CA

KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (02/26/89)

Well, I've been following the discussion of HyperC.  I also unpacked from
a 3.5 to a 5.25 drive.  It didn't work.  Then I tried unpacking from a
5.25 to a 5.25.  Still didin't work.

Obviously, either I did something wrong, or it just doesn't like my Apple gs.
Judging from other messages, I suspect it doesn't like my machine.  Oh well.

If anyone does find the authors and get the PRODOS version released, I shall
be jumping up and down with joy.

KMILES@USU  (bitnet)

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (02/26/89)

Well, actually, so far here on the USENET side of comp.sys.apple I have
only seen 2 messages even mentioning CDOS - and both arrived AFTER I posted
my message.  As for the Shrinkit 5.25-5.25; 1) same thing ,2) for folks using
IIgs I guess the software typically isnt going to work then - same for the
IIc+ folks, since even having ONE 5.25 is going to be rare - two is going
to be almost impossible. As for releasing that source - I agree!!

P.S.  Anyone following this dicussion have access to an Atari as well?  Recently
on usenet someone posted the source for a C compiler for the Atari.  I then
saw a note from an IBM PC user who stated that s/he had ported it to MS-DOS.
Perhaps it could be ported to the Apple II line.

--

ldcol@pbhyd.PacBell.COM (Larry D Colton) (02/26/89)

In article <827@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

>Here in Central Ohio, we got parts 0-3 on one day, and parts 4-7 on another
>(the next?  I dont remember).  So all 8 parts did arrive.  Last nite I downloaded
>all 8 parts to my machine.  I used binscii 1.01 to decode it.  I got no
>error messages, and I was not told whether I was missing any parts, etc.

 detailed account of steps leading to problem deleted

>As for the problem being discussed, did anyone check to be sure that the
>disk that was packaged was indeed a working disk?
>
>--
>Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
>75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)
>osu-cis!n8emr!lwv@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (INTERNET)
>The world's not inherited from our parents, but borrowed from our children.

I have been able to sucessfully download, Binscii, Shrinkit, and run Hyper C
on my enhanced 2e with 2 3.5" drives and 2 5.25" drives.  The program has
run fine.

It appears to be a good compiler to start to learn C.  It has some severe
limitations:  it uses it's own operating system (CDOS) and does not recognize
the 3.5 inch drives (no suprise, the program is at least 3 years old).  Lacking
the manual, it is necessary to use the DUMP program to look at the hex dump
of the various files to round up the commands, allowed data types, etc.

The shell commands are limited to: cls, ren, rm, ls, df, cp, dm, a: and b:.
The built in text editor supports find, exchange, insert, delete, move and
copy as well as file append.  The cursor movement commands are the arrows
and the WordStar ^A, ^W, ^S, ^Z diamond.  Additional WS commands, such as
^E, ^C and the ^Q prefix commands are supported.

The complier itself does not support float types.  Char types have been
replaced with text.  I have not been able to find support for scanf().
This is not suprising for a shareware compiler.  As I said above, it will
be good to use to dabble with C.  You are not going to write anything
meaningful with Hyper C.

Those of you that have gotten it to run, but only have one drive, might
want to try to take a copy of the system.master disk and try removing
files to give yourself some room to play.  I don't remember which files
are not needed, but you can certainly delete dump.c, plist.c, read.me,
autoexecute to get started.
--
Larry Colton                {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!ldcol

a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) (02/27/89)

Are there any docs available for Hyper C?

Or must one send away for them?

--
|=--------=> Jono Moore <=--------=|The definition of a Canadian is
someone|
|                                  |who knows how to make love in a
canoe. |
|     Jono_Moore@mindlink.UUCP     |       -- Pierre Burton (I
think...)   |
|        a864@mindlink.UUCP
|.......................................|
|                                  |        He who has had has been,
   |
|   Vancouver, BC, Canada...Eh!    |  but he who has not been has been
had.|

a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) (02/27/89)

Hyper C unpacked fine for me and works fine as well (I guess...), except that I
can't figure out how to use it.
--
|=--------=> Jono Moore <=--------=|The definition of a Canadian is
someone|
|                                  |who knows how to make love in a
canoe. |
|     Jono_Moore@mindlink.UUCP     |       -- Pierre Burton (I
think...)   |
|        a864@mindlink.UUCP
|.......................................|
|                                  |        He who has had has been,
   |
|   Vancouver, BC, Canada...Eh!    |  but he who has not been has been
had.|

a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) (02/27/89)

Sorry about that...I have a //e clone (Laser 128EX).
--
|=--------=> Jono Moore <=--------=|The definition of a Canadian is
someone|
|                                  |who knows how to make love in a
canoe. |
|     Jono_Moore@mindlink.UUCP     |       -- Pierre Burton (I
think...)   |
|        a864@mindlink.UUCP
|.......................................|

erast1@cisunx.UUCP (Evan Ron Aussenberg) (02/27/89)

In article <798@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) writes:
>I've spoken to a local guy here who has also d/l'ed HyperC and it works
>perfectly for him..

>Replies -> CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET or CYLau@UNCAMULT%UNCACDC.BITNET

Has anyone been able to boot HyperC from their GS??  I haven't.  Also,
when I use shrinkit to List my HyperC.SHK archive, it lists the 'type'
field as ???... any comments?   I did download the 0/7 repost.

Evan / erast1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu

c08_d103@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Ex-God) (02/27/89)

In article <511@madnix.UUCP> rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) writes:
>...I tried to delete the old files...and none of them would delete.
>Copy II+ and BLU report error $56, bad buffer address.  BASIC says NO
>BUFFERS AVAILABLE.
>
>I don't like having 7 files, 36 blocks each, and 1 file, 191 blocks taking
>up my space!!  GRR!!

Well, I don't know enough about the details to tell you how to delete
the files with any program I know of, but I can give you two ways to
delete any file.

Method #1:  Go into a sector editor (e.g. the one in C2+), remove the
entry from the directory (by blanking it out) or mark it as deleted,
and mark all its sectors (use the disk map command in C2+ to find out
which sectors are part of the file) as free on the disk map sector.

Method #2 (the easy way):  Copy all the files you want to keep to
another disk, then reformat the original disk and copy all the files
back to it.  This also has the advantage of optimizing your disk (in
case you delete files often).

I can't think of a reason either of these two methods would fail to
delete a file on an otherwise fine disk....

     -- Andrew Barnert // ex-God // Smilin' Jack // etc.
        ins_balb@jhunix // ins_balb@jhuvms // c08_d103@jhunix
The opinions expressed in this message are yours.  So there.
"If you can't stand the Big Chill, burn down the freezer." -- Jello Biafra

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (02/27/89)

Please folks - realize a) that not all the world is bitnet, and b) that you
really dont need to get snotty.

Folks reading these messages via comp.sys.apple get them willy nilly - sometimes
we dont get ANY messages at all for a day or two, sometimes we dont get messages
at all - my normal system had lost the news articles for 3+ days now due to some
system problems, etc.  So saying things like "well, if you had been reading
the messages posted here in the last two weeks" or whatever doesnt help -
it just makes folks mad.

As it turns out, I HAVE been reading the messages quite consistently.  I
had seen 5 brief messages detailing problems, with NO messages dealing with
solutions.  So I posted what I felt was a quite detailed list of my
procedures so that perhaps someone could look at what one person is doing and
see what step was being missed.

I HAVE tried booting the 5.25" - I get the message that PRODOS is missing!
Since it isnt even a prodos disk, obviously one cannot unshrink from a ram
disk to the 5.25" disk - unless they are the same size.  I talked to the
author of shrinkit on AppleLink P.E. and he didnt have any suggestions for me.
Since Shrinkit doesnt appear to be able to do a one drive unshrink - or I
cannot figure out exactly what my incompatibility is - then if you dont
know either, lets let this go in peace.

--

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (02/28/89)

In article <1325@pbhyd.PacBell.COM>, ldcol@pbhyd.PacBell.COM (Larry D Colton) writes:
> It appears to be a good compiler to start to learn C.  It has some severe
> limitations: it uses it's own operating system (CDOS) and does not recognize
> the 3.5 inch drives (no suprise,the program is at least 3 years old).Lacking
> the manual, it is necessary to use the DUMP program to look at the hex dump
> of the various files to round up the commands, allowed data types, etc.
>
> The shell commands are limited to: cls, ren, rm, ls, df, cp, dm, a: and b:.
> The built in text editor supports find, exchange, insert, delete, move and
> copy as well as file append.  The cursor movement commands are the arrows
> and the WordStar ^A, ^W, ^S, ^Z diamond.  Additional WS commands, such as
> ^E, ^C and the ^Q prefix commands are supported.
>
> The complier itself does not support float types.  Char types have been
> replaced with text.  I have not been able to find support for scanf().
> This is not suprising for a shareware compiler.  As I said above, it will
> be good to use to dabble with C.  You are not going to write anything
> meaningful with Hyper C.

Actually, scanf() is supported, but must be linked into a library by the user
the source to the scanf  and printf functions are on the back side along with
the OS source (which I have yet to send)...  It does have the float type but
it is known as some other type (I can't remember off hand, but like I said,
the changes are mainly cosmetic in nature (ie. std.h rather than stdio.h))

The said sources will be sent for posting sometime this week...

Chris (posting from a friend's acct cuz I'm too lazy to go an post from
the mainframe...)

Disclaimer -> I didn't say any of this...
Replies -> CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET or CYLau%UNCAMULT@UNCACDC.BITNET

CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET (The Ultron) (03/01/89)

Reply to the person who mentioned the Atari C compiler ported to IBM:-
You mean the Sozobon C compiler??  Yes, I saw that one too on the
comp.os.minix group...  The person said however, that the compiler was
100K, optimizer was around 50K etc...  not for the apple I'm afraid,
however, there was also another compiler posted in the Atari binaries->
something like Mark Johnson C (Not to be confused with Mark Williams
C)...  maybe that one is a bit smaller...  would someone like to take a
look???

Also, a reply to a different subject:-
Hyper C DOES have a float type, it DOES have a char type (text is more
like a string type - in pascal array [1..n] of char) It also has support
for scanf but it hasn't been put into the standard library (unfortunately,
the scanf fn must be inserted by means of an include file (which is on
the back side along with the source (again which I have not had time to
pack and upload yet...)  )

Another reply to yet a different subject:-
Regarding the comment by someone who had the Professional Hyper C
package...  I saw an article in Nibble a while back regarding copyrights
after bankruptcy (Legal Bits column) I can't seem to find it now- does
anyone know which issue it was in??  I'm pretty sure that the copyrights
remain intact for the normal amount of time even after bankruptcy...
but if not it would be a good excuse to upload the prodos version...
I'd like to make sure though.
Also, the CDOS version of HyperC does NOT run a modified DOS3.3, more
like a cross between UNIX and ProDOS (1K blocks, memory resident
superblock, directory on track 0) It DOES compile native 6502/65c02 code
in addition to pcode and it IS shareware according to the title screen
("Send $xx.xx to ....  for the manuals and disk") I have the manual for
the CDOS version, but it is not very helpful (obviously as it is a
shareware product oriented more towards promotion of the "real" thing
than anything else) Is the Professional version manual any good?  and
for that matter does it list the authors so we can try contacting them
to get permission to release it to the public??

Chris

 The opinions expressed herein are    Replies to:
 entirely my  own, but they can be      CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET
 yours for only  $29.95 plus tax.*      CYLau@UNCAMULT%UNCACDC.BITNET
 (* where applicable)                   or whatever is on the header)

CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET (The Ultron) (03/01/89)

Hmm well, have you tried taking a prodos block editor to the ramdisk and
editing the bitmap etc so it at least APPEARS to be the same size as a
normal 5.25 diskette...  (I assume you only have 1 5.25???  ShrinkIt 1.0
is supposed to support one drive unpacking) Quite a few people have been
able to get the program going, so something else is wrong...

Chris

 The opinions expressed herein are    Replies to:
 entirely my  own, but they can be      CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET
 yours for only  $29.95 plus tax.*      CYLau@UNCAMULT%UNCACDC.BITNET
 (* where applicable)                   or whatever is on the header)

>Please folks - realize a) that not all the world is bitnet, and b) that you
>really dont need to get snotty.
>
>Folks reading these messages via comp.sys.apple get them willy nilly -
>sometimes
>we dont get ANY messages at all for a day or two, sometimes we dont get
>messages at all

Has someone in BITNET's glass house thrown a stone?

Willy Nilly is just as common on BITNET as comp.sys.apple (as well as
days with nothing and then 100+ at a time, etc.).  When files backlog,
BITNET delivers shortest file first, which often results in answers
arriving in advance of the questions.

Some weeks ago, someone complained to me about a flame, saying they'd
already apologized to the net (the apology DID arrive several days later!).
Which may also prove that apologies don't repair damage once done.

(I'm sometimes rash too -- email can be hazardous; use with some CAUTION!)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (03/02/89)

In article <890228170056.235274@UNCAMULT.BITNET>, CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET (The Ultron) writes:
> Hmm well, have you tried taking a prodos block editor to the ramdisk and
> editing the bitmap etc so it at least APPEARS to be the same size as a
> normal 5.25 diskette...  (I assume you only have 1 5.25???  ShrinkIt 1.0
> is supposed to support one drive unpacking) Quite a few people have been
> able to get the program going, so something else is wrong...

I unpacked hyper c from a file that sat in a subdirectory on a RAMdisk onto
a 5 1/4" drive.  The only problem that occurred is that the drive motor on
the 5 1/4" drive stayed on.  I solved this problem by entering basic, and
getting a catalog of that drive.  When the catalog was over, the motor stopped.

The only thing that seemed odd to me was that the part number started at 0,
rather than one.  Since I only received parts 2-7 on this machine, I requested
that someone send me part 1.  Of course, he sent parts 0 and 1, and I had no
problem after that.
--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Joseph G. Toth Jr.) (03/12/89)

A while back, I read in this newsgroup that there was a disk that contained
utilities (scanf was discussed) that was to be posted to comp.binaries.apple2.
Well, I have yet to see it, and it has been quite a while (we have had some
problems with our news receiving here lately).

If it has been posted, could it possibly be re-posted, or could some kind
soul email a copy of the posting to me.

This could be a real nice programming environment if only the utilities allowed
programs to read and write from something other than a disk drive (that seems
to be all that is available from the available system features).

It would be nice to develop a modem interface to be able to transfer 'c' code
via the net also (keep pace with those UNIX 'nethack'ers, maybe).

--
------------------------------------------------+---------------------
Maybe I shouldn't have done it, sarcasm is so   | Joseph G. Toth Jr.

aj5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bill Basden) (03/16/89)

Help!  Can anyone help me get a copy of HyperC?  I haven't been able to
find it on any archives or file servers.

Thanks,

Bill Basden

aj5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
mentor.cc.purdue.edu!aj5  Bitnet:BASDEN@PURCCVM

aash@ms.uky.edu (aash) (03/16/89)

In article <1781@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> aj5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bill Basden) writes:
>Help!  Can anyone help me get a copy of HyperC?  I haven't been able to
>find it on any archives or file servers.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bill Basden

I have put a copy of hyperC that was posted,
along with several letters of explanation, etc,
that were posted here, in the archive which
is accessible via anonymous FTP to f.ms.uky.edu
(128.163.128.6).  Also available are the
copies of shrinkit and binscii that were
recently posted.  The posted Forth stuff
is there too, as well as most (all?) of
the tech notes.  Send any questions,
comments, or complaints to me.  If you don't
like compressed tar files let me know also.

aash

--
aash
aash@ms.uky.edu  (archive at 128.163.128.6)

hentosh@amethyst.bucknell.EDU (03/16/89)

>me.  I was only able to get Hyper C to unpack after concatenating the 8
>files into 1 single file.  This is only with *some* binscii`ed files (or

>                                               Jon M. Pearsall

Where is Hyper C posted? I don't have ftp here and I can't find it on
Apple2-L or ALPE. Can anyone tell me how to get a copy or upload it
to Apple2-L? (or is it not shareware or PD)
                        Thanks a bunch,
                                Bob

 BITNET: hentosh@amethyst.bucknell.edu ! Disclaimer : "I don't know why I
 ALPE  : RobertH128                    !   said that... I think it came from
                                       !   the fillings in my rear molars."

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (04/03/89)

I know that this went around last month, but I have a question.
What systems does this work on?  I know that it won't work on
the GS, but how about an unenhanced //e (test system #2)?

Any progress on tracking down the author and getting the
ProDOS version out into the Public Domain?

    Todd A. Bakal                              Remember: 1 Million people
    U of M Apple User's Group                  saved Spock.  Think about
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                        what GS owners could do.

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu          FTP: 35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal    BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (04/04/89)

Does anyone out there in net-land live in the 508 area code
that could send me a copy of HyperC by phone?
--
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        I wrote SHELL and Daemon,
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          send bug reports, suggestions,

People keep asking me if Shell or Daemon are compatible with the IIc, IIe.
YES, I wrote them on my Laser 128.  I mean, what would be the challenge to
multitasking on a IIgs?  I'll start writing dedicated gs programs when
somebody sends me one in the mail.

nakada@husc4.harvard.edu (Paul Nakada) (05/12/89)

Last I remember, we were looking for the authors of Hyper C in the
Tucson chamber of commerce records.  Does anyone have any more info or
ideas on where we stand with regard to copyright laws?

Also, I seem to remember someone mentioning a backside to the Hyper C
shareware disk.  Is that still around somewhere?

-paul nakada
--
 __
|     Paul Nakada  '89   #8-)  |

CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET (The Ultron) (05/13/89)

If anyone would volunteer to find out the number for the Tucson Chamber
of Commerce, I'd be glad to call them and ask about the fate of the WSM
Group

Regarding the backside of the shareware HyperC:  you may have read
earlier about my blown IWM chip...  well unless one of you generous
people out there wants to send me a new //, I can't send the backside
until I get it fixed...

Chris

+----------------------------------+      +----------------------------------+
!   Christopher Lau                !      !  COGITO COGITO, ERGO COGITO SUM  !
!   The University of Calgary      +------+    "I think that I think;        !
!   CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET          +------+     therefore, I think I am."    !
!   CYLau%UNCAMULT@MITVMA.MIT.EDU  !      !                                  !
!   ...!xenlink!chris              !      !        - Ambrose Bierce          !
+----------------------------------+      +----------------------------------+

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (05/15/89)

[questions about the Hyper C author search deleted.]

I took it upon myself to do a bit of digging after the last post about checking
the Tucson Chamber of Commerce.  Here's what I dug up.

1) No record of the WSG Group in the CoC records. Refered me to the Better
   Business Bureau.

2) No record of the WSG Group in the BBB records. Refered me to a computer store
   owner, reputed to be the most knowledge person on the microcomputer business.

3) Contacted the store, No available help from

As a follow on action, I'm going to try and pound on a few federal goverment
doors, and see what I can come up with in the way of establishing Copyright Office
contacts.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                         |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447 |        "Wisconsin   Escapee"

CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET (The Ultron) (05/16/89)

[regarding Matt's message about failure to find anything about Hyper C]

Well Matt,

First off, it wasn't the "WSG" Group, it was "WSM" grp.  (note "M" and
"G" are not the same :-) ), so if you try again, this time with the
correct spelling, you MIGHT be able to get a bit farther...

Chris

 The opinions expressed herein are  !  Replies to:
 entirely my  own, but they can be  !    CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET
 yours for only  $29.95 plus tax.*  !    CYLau%UNCAMULT@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
 (* where applicable.)              !    ...!xenlink!chris

bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) (05/18/89)

in article <890513150124.797580@UNCAMULT.BITNET>, CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET (The Ultron) says:

> If anyone would volunteer to find out the number for the Tucson Chamber
> of Commerce, I'd be glad to call them and ask about the fate of the WSM
> Group

If the Chamber cannot help, you might try the Secretary of State in that
state, they can check current as well as old corporation records, and that
often leads you to either their attorney or their home addresses.
--
  Internet  -- bsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
  UUCP      -- {uunet!gould}!umbio!bsherm

rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) (08/30/89)

Some time ago, there was discussion here on the Hyper C compiler for the IIe.
I am unable to access LISTSERV@BROWNVM or any FTP sites from ProLine.  I am
assuming that this package is either in the Public Domain or is Shareware.  Can
someone please E-Mail me the necessary files to the address given below.  Your
help would be greatly appreciated.
Randy Miller
crash!pro-harvest!rs.miller
rs.miller@pro-harvest.nosc.mil

blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (09/04/89)

Here's a technical tidbit.  Working a little randomly tonight, I decided
to try to fix Hyper C to work on the IIgs.  As some of us know, it won't
boot on the IIgs, although it works fine on an enhanced //e.  Here's the
progress I made, and if anybody wants to pick up where I left off, fine.
I've identified the problem:

The Hyper C boot routine immediately loads $D000-FFFF into
memory.  If you can interrupt the boot process at any point
in the three-track load (go into the control panel, use a
WildCard, etc.), then $F8CD holds the JMP instruction to
coldstart Hyper C after the boot.  Redirecting this to a
routine that sets ROM and jumps to the monitor, you can then
alter the BRK vector and routine until it suits you.

The problem lies with the IIgs BRK handlers.  Hyper C uses a
subroutine called with a BRK, and the vector it uses is
$FFFE-FFFF.  (It is initialized to $D0D4, and the BRK
handler itself is at $D0E1)  In the IIgs, this vector is
fixed in ROM.  Changing this to another vector has been
fruitless, for one reason or another.  The easiest method,
it seems, would be to fix the IIgs BRK handler to emulate
the old //e handlers and JMP to $D0E1.  Unfortunately, this
hasn't worked so far, and I'm about burned out about it.

At $D0E1, Hyper C expects the stack as follows:

(top)     Status Register
          Low byte of BRK address plus two (?)
          High byte
          .
          .
(bottom)  .

My attempts have been to use the vector at $3F0, and set up
the stack to imitate the $FFFE-FFFF stage.  The calling
address is in $3A.3B at that point.

Another strategy would be to use the IIgs BRK vector at
$E1/0070.74 and to try to imitate from there.

That's it...Of course, if anybody has distributed the ProDOS version of
it, that is, if we've decided that the copyright has expired 8-), then I
would be delighted if somebody would fill me in.  Thanks for your
attention...

Scott Blackman
blackman@phoenix.princeton.edu
blackman@pucc.bitnet

mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu (Mike Harrison) (10/23/89)

I recently downloaded something called "HyperC" to my IIgs. (I got the fix
also). When I booted it up, I got the "a>" prompt, which, I suspect, is
normal. But how do I use it? There were no docs included. It would seem
that if I am to figure out whether or not I like it (and hence buy it) that
I'd need to know how to use it. Does anyone out there know how to use it? What
exactly is it, and what can it do?

Mike
mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu

UD182050@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) (10/23/89)

On Mon, 23 Oct 89 00:23:21 GMT <info-apple-request@BRL.MIL> said:
>I recently downloaded something called "HyperC" to my IIgs. (I got the fix
>also). When I booted it up, I got the "a>" prompt, which, I suspect, is
>normal. But how do I use it? There were no docs included. It would seem
>that if I am to figure out whether or not I like it (and hence buy it) that
>I'd need to know how to use it. Does anyone out there know how to use it? What
>exactly is it, and what can it do?
>
>Mike
>mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu

I played with it for a little while on a IIe, before I heard abou the patch.
Never did try the patch....anyway, what I hadda do was look at the disk with a
sector editor, and wrote down the commands I saw.  Then I tried each, and went
from there.  It seems to me that it was case-sensitive also, which kinda threw
me at the start.  From editor (or whatever it was), things were pretty straight
-forward.

Mike
UD182050@NDSUVM1
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu

llp@psuhcx.psu.edu (Laura L. Pauley) (10/23/89)

In article <451@orchid.waterloo.edu> mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu (Mike Harrison) writes:

|I recently downloaded something called "HyperC" to my IIgs. (I got the fix
|also). When I booted it up, I got the "a>" prompt, which, I suspect, is
|normal. But how do I use it? There were no docs included. It would seem
|that if I am to figure out whether or not I like it (and hence buy it) that
|I'd need to know how to use it. Does anyone out there know how to use it? What
|exactly is it, and what can it do?
|
|Mike
|mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu
I was kinda wondering the same thing.  I downloaded it also but haven't been
able to figure it out yet.   I also have a guestion.  Are there any PD C or
Pascal compilers out there that will launch from Prodos.  I noticed that HyperC
was in it's onw little os.  My main reason for this is that I would like to
put something like that on my hard drive.....(No go with HyperC.  ARGH!!!)

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (Mike Jetzer) (10/23/89)

This summer, one time when I logged in, someone said that they were going
to upload teh mythical flipside to the Hyper C disk.  I never saw it.

Did it really get uploaded?  If so, could someone send me a copy?
--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (11/08/89)

The manual (an original) contains no copyright notice whatsoever. I've looked
thoroughly through it. The Mac version, from which this is a direct port, is
distributed by Spectra Micro Systems of Tucson. They deny all knowledge of the
Apple // version, however by contacting the authors of the Mac version you may
be able to determine who was responsible for the port and who owns it now.

Copyright notices are listed on the screens of the various modules, but they
include no more than the date (1984 for the most part). This is a very nice
program, it would be nice to find its current status.

p.s. does anyone out there know how to convert ORCA/M object modules to a
format useable by HyperC? No, Ididn't think so.

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (11/13/89)

In article <7074.infoapple.net@pro-generic> Eric Mcgillicuddy writes:

>The manual (an original) contains no copyright notice whatsoever. I've looked
>thoroughly through it. The Mac version, from which this is a direct port, is
>distributed by Spectra Micro Systems of Tucson. They deny all knowledge of the
>Apple // version, however by contacting the authors of the Mac version you may
>be able to determine who was responsible for the port and who owns it now.
>
>Copyright notices are listed on the screens of the various modules, but they
>include no more than the date (1984 for the most part). This is a very nice
>program, it would be nice to find its current status.
>
>p.s. does anyone out there know how to convert ORCA/M object modules to a
>format useable by HyperC? No, Ididn't think so.

     Strange, I've got the shareware versions and by processing the disk for
text strings, this is what I've got:

	Copyright (c) 1985 by The WSM Group, Inc.
	Copyright (c) 1985 by GRM Corp.
	---< Welcome to WSM CDOS [1.3] >---
	We know you will enjoy using this system!  Thank you for your support.
	  602/298-7910
	Tucson, AZ  85715
	  1161 N. El Dorado Pl., Suite 241
	The WSM Group, Inc.
	Copies of the manual may be purchased for $35.00.  Send your order to:
	owner by ordering the disk and a manual for $43.95, plus $6.00 shipping.
	produce low cost, high quality software.  You can become a registered
	we ask you to become one today, showing your support of our efforts to
	If you have a copy of this program and are not a registered owner,
	Copyright (c) 1985 by The WSM Group, Inc., Tucson, AZ
	WSM Text Editor [1.2]
	Copyright (c) 1985 by The WSM Group, Inc., Tucson, AZ
	WSM Hyper C Macro PreProcessor [1.0]
	Copyright (c) 1985 by The WSM Group, Inc., Tucson, AZ
	WSM cp-Code Assembler [1.0]
	Copyright (c) 1985 by The WSM Group, Inc., Tucson, AZ
	WSM 65C02 Assembler [1.1]
	Copyright (c) 1985 by The WSM Group, Inc., Tucson, AZ
	WSM Overlay Linker [1.0]
	Copyright (c) 1985 by The WSM Group, Inc., Tucson, AZ
	WSM Library Maintainer [1.0]
	Copyright (c) 1985 by The WSM Group, Inc., Tucson, AZ
	noName
	WSM Disk Formatting Utility [1.0]
	WSM Disk Checkout Utility [1.0]

     Notice that, atleast, the city of origin is the same.  Maybe a friendly
phone call is in order.  (I'll be getting to that in the morning)

P.S.  If memory servers me right, the address on the disk matches the address
      in the A+ product spotlight.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"
uucp:  sun!mstier or mcnc!rti!sunpix!matthew |
phone: (919) 469-8300 fax: (919) 460-8355    |

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.COM (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (11/21/89)

The addresses supplied on the disks have not been active since 1987, I still
have the return to sender envelope. I certainly hope someone is supporting
this very nice program, I wish they would let those in the frozen north know.

Les_Ferch.@MTSG.UBC.CA (11/22/89)

Is there a ProDOS based version of HyperC?  If so, where can I get it?

Internet: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Bitnet:   userLSF@UBCMTSG

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.COM (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (11/26/89)

I purchased it in '86 and am willing to upload it somewhere if it can be
proven to now be in the public domain. Any suggestions?

Les_Ferch.@MTSG.UBC.CA (12/04/89)

>I purchased it in '86 and am willing to upload it somewhere if it can be
>proven to now be in the public domain. Any suggestions?

Well, a version of HyperC resides on husc6.harvard.edu, (not the ProDOS
version) so the one you have is likely to be PD, but I don't know for sure.

There has got to be someone out there who knows.  Anybody?

If the company that made HyperC still exists, I'd be happy to phone them
but I don't even have that information.

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (01/17/90)

I've spent some time playing with hyper c and trying to learn the
C language.  Hyper C isn't too bad.  If we could just get a group
of people to go through and improve on a few things, like ramdisk
and 3.5 inch disk support.  The compiler speed doesn't seem
too bad.

Also some kind of replacement for the format and chkdsk utilities would
help.

Anybody else interested in trying to improve Hyper C ?
---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        ... (Mankind) has already
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          used its last chance.
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609               - Gen. MacArthur

johnw@pro-harvest.cts.com (John Withers) (01/20/90)

I would enjoy working with it... if I only had a copy.

eldorado@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (David D Jansen) (02/05/90)

No need to upload HyperC.  You can find a good Binscii'd, Shrinkit version
at ftp site husc6.harvard.edu.  Just one question, how do you compile with it?
I get compile-time errors like: file not found.  What do we name the editted
files? foobar.c?  What's the deal?

Dave Jansen (The Gilded One)
eldorado@en.ecn.purdue.edu

"We have to make all our programs idiot-proof.  Idiots are very intelligent!"

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/05/90)

Does anyone have a problem using ftp sites?  Should we upload
hyperc to c.s.a anyhow?

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I. W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.   ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609 there is much to be done.

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (02/05/90)

In article <9002042113.AA13312@en.ecn.purdue.edu> eldorado@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (David D Jansen) writes:

>No need to upload HyperC.  You can find a good Binscii'd, Shrinkit version
>at ftp site husc6.harvard.edu.  Just one question, how do you compile with it?
>I get compile-time errors like: file not found.  What do we name the editted
>files? foobar.c?  What's the deal?
>

>Dave Jansen (The Gilded One)
>eldorado@en.ecn.purdue.edu

I had trouble to compile my very simple "hello world" c program too. I got
an error like pph (or some file name like this) not found. Interesting that
we got different errors.  Anyway, maybe I did something wrong.

Thax for you all folks who upload HyperC/put it in ftp site/whatever. I finally
got a C compiler for my computer which runs on ProDOS. Thanx again.

--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 50MHz 68040, 64Mb RAM, 660Mb SCSI, |    Chun Yao Liao    |

In article <1990Feb4.224830.8017@eng.umd.edu> cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
>I had trouble to compile my very simple "hello world" c program too. I got
>an error like pph (or some file name like this) not found. Interesting that
>we got different errors.  Anyway, maybe I did something wrong.
>
>Thax for you all folks who upload HyperC/put it in ftp site/whatever.
I finally
>got a C compiler for my computer which runs on ProDOS. Thanx again.

Just name your file something like filename.c then type cc filename
with no suffix.

Unless you're playing with the assembler.  I figured out the minimum
information necessary to link a 65c02 assembler file to the Hyperc
shell and linker:

This file I called min.a, its the minimum source.
{Isn't it handy the way c source is a text file and I don't have
to pack this stuff first?}

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I. W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.   ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609 there is much to be done.

-------
This is an example  of a short ml program interfaced to the
Hyperc linker.  Note the way hex numbers are entered, and the
way label equates are defined.
--------
        .nolist
sp      =       0xf4
sph     =       sp+1
fp      =       sp-2
fph     =       fp+1
pc      =       fp-2
pch     =       pc+1
r1      =       pc-2
r1h     =       r1+1
r2      =       r1-2
r2h     =       r2+1
r3      =       r2-2
r3h     =       r3+1
r4      =       r3-2
r4h     =       r4+1
jp      =       r4-2
jph     =       jp+1
smask   =       jp-2
smaskh  =       smask+1
dsply   =       smask-32
rp      =       dsply-2
        .list
        .even
        .entry  _main
_main:
        lda     #0
        tay
    jsr Alnk
;
; I don't know all of what the stuff before here does.
; Mostly I imagine its associated with simulating the p-code
; machine, but partly its involved with the linker.
; This information constitutes the minimum amount of
; information I'm sure will allow integrating machine code
; to the Hyper C Prodos system.
;
; It was created by use of the ccn command on the file
; main () {}    that is, the smallest possible c program...
; Simply start your code after this point, and instead of
; using RTS to return to prodos, jmp to _exit.
;
; The following is just a sample assembler program that
; writes a few characters to the screen, then returns to
; the Hyperc shell...
;
;
;
cout = 0xfded
;
    ldy #32
    .entry _loop
_loop:
    tya
    jsr cout
    iny
    cpy #42
    bne _loop
;
; Thats the end of the stuff I added
;
    jmp Artn

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/05/90)

I almost forgot to mention.  To do assembler on the system, you
must use the .a suffix.  To make things a little easier I
wrote a batch file to assemble a program:

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I. W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.   ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609 there is much to be done.

I call this file ca

I'll also post these to c.s.a so a person only has to unpack them,
rather than type them in...

; This little do-hicky was added by Michael Pender in order
; to assemble 65c02 code and integrate it to the C system
; with the system linker...
;
; NOTE: Do NOT specify the ".a" ending the source filename!
;
/csys/bin/asm65 -o $1.o $1.a
/csys/bin/lnk -l |/csys/libs/ -o $1 -a &s.o $1.o &rt65.o &libc
rm $1.o

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (Mike Jetzer) (02/05/90)

In article <7675@wpi.wpi.edu> greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:
>Does anyone have a problem using ftp sites?

Yes.  There was a problem with the original upload to nodak.  There was
another upload (made on Feb  4) that was supposed to fix it.  I ftp'ed
(type binary, of course) them and downloaded it.  Shrinkit 2.1 gave me
a error $81 ('corrupted data', I think) for fp.sdk; for hyperc.sdk,
SI2.1 started to unpack the disk, giving me the first 'blip' on the
thermometer, and then stopped (the drive just kept spinning, though).

Anyone have any better luck?

Maybe someone could run this thing through binscii?!

cc@xroads.UUCP (Dan McGuirk) (02/05/90)

<Does anyone have a problem using ftp sites?  Should we upload
<hyperc to c.s.a anyhow?

Yes, I'm sure some people would appreciate that (including me..)  Here on
UUCP we don't have access to ftp..  Or if someone could mail me a copy, I
would appreciate that also..
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200 Baud 24 hrs/day

In article <782@studsys.mu.edu> jetzer@studsys.UUCP (Mike Jetzer) writes:
>Yes.  There was a problem with the original upload to nodak.  There was
>another upload (made on Feb  4) that was supposed to fix it.  I ftp'ed
>(type binary, of course) them and downloaded it.  Shrinkit 2.1 gave me
>a error $81 ('corrupted data', I think) for fp.sdk; for hyperc.sdk,
>SI2.1 started to unpack the disk, giving me the first 'blip' on the
>thermometer, and then stopped (the drive just kept spinning, though).
>
>Anyone have any better luck?
>
>Maybe someone could run this thing through binscii?!
>--
>Mike Jetzer
>"Hack first, ask questions later."

I downloaded the Feb 4's uploaded verion, and It worked fine to me. but
the symptoms tht you discribe just like the very first upload at nodak,
but again, the Feb 4's upload is alright.

--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 50MHz 68040, 64Mb RAM, 660Mb SCSI, |    Chun Yao Liao    |
|              NeXT laser printer, net connection.      | Accepting Donations!|
/* If (my_.signature =~ yours)  coincidence = true; else ignore_this = true; */

eldorado@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (David D Jansen) (02/06/90)

Small mistake.  The Prodos version is not at husc6.harvard.edu so upload the
Prodos version to comp.binaries.apple2 please.  I thought what you meant by
Prodos version is that it could run compiled stuff in prodos.  I was also
wondering how to load the disk to a ram disk since it did so (too) much
disk access.  Since the manual is about $35, does anyone want to split the
cost, maybe 35 ways and get a posted copy to the net?

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/06/90)

In article <782@studsys.mu.edu> jetzer@studsys.UUCP (Mike Jetzer) writes:
>Yes.  There was a problem with the original upload to nodak.  There was
>another upload (made on Feb  4) that was supposed to fix it.  I ftp'ed
>(type binary, of course) them and downloaded it.  Shrinkit 2.1 gave me
>a error $81 ('corrupted data', I think) for fp.sdk; for hyperc.sdk,
>SI2.1 started to unpack the disk, giving me the first 'blip' on the
>thermometer, and then stopped (the drive just kept spinning, though).
>
>Anyone have any better luck?

I got it from plains.NoDak.edu a few days ago after the errors in
the copies on the ftp site were corrected and it worked for me.

I'd like to upload the hyperc files to c.s.a. but once before
I lost my net access for something much more minor.  I'd rather
not go into the story, but I wouldn't want it to happen again...

The files at the site are no longer corrupted.

---

In article <9002051837.AA12046@en.ecn.purdue.edu> eldorado@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (David D Jansen) writes:

>Small mistake.  The Prodos version is not at husc6.harvard.edu so upload the
>Prodos version to comp.binaries.apple2 please.  I thought what you meant by
>Prodos version is that it could run compiled stuff in prodos.  I was also
>wondering how to load the disk to a ram disk since it did so (too) much
>disk access.  Since the manual is about $35, does anyone want to split the
>cost, maybe 35 ways and get a posted copy to the net?

My understanding was that the company had gone bust, and that the
program, sources, and related info had gone back to the authors.

In other words, I don't think there's a company left to send you a
copy of the instructions...

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I. W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.   ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609 there is much to be done.

mitch@rbdc.UUCP (Mitch Berry) (02/06/90)

Yes there is a NEED to upload hyperc ... for people like me who DONT have
ftp access...there are many others in the same situation...so...

PLEASE PUT HYPERC ON COMP.BINARIES.APPLE2....

thank you
--
[Mitch Berry (Thrashing Rage)|UUCP:mitch@rbdc.UUCP|PROLINE:thrash@pro-Dchamber]
"I want to play my music, As loud as I please. I want to grow my hair down to

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (02/06/90)

First, the ProDOS HyperC does not seem to work on a //gs (this is
implied information, since my email to various folks has gone
unanswered).  When I get a chance, I will try to post a patch.
[It only makes sense that it doesn't work on a //gs since the non-ProDOS
version doesn't work as-is on a //gs].

So, if you own a //gs, HyperC won't work for you....yet.  Please don't
inundate the net with posts of "Why won't HyperC work????"

			Kent Dickey
kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

p.s.  If it does work for someone with a //gs, please *SEND ME EMAIL*!
I want to track down what this problem is...

cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/07/90)

I'm <<still>> trying to get a working copy of Hyper C from <<anywhere!>>

I've tried to download it from a bbs and from  husc6.harvard.edu
but neither of these were the Prodos version.  Both unShrinkITed
just fine (no errors) and gave me a 5.25" disk which boot up and
lock up after a few moments of disk activity.  Ctl-Reset reboots
my machine (a IIgs ROM 01).

I also tried the copy at  plains.NoDak.edu  (the Feb 4 version),
which is the Prodos version.  This also unShrinked just fine and
gave me a 5.25" Prodos disk "CSYS".  I try running the  C.SYSTEM
application, and it gives me a blank screen with a short line of
gibberish at the top, something like

]  ]]} ]{[[  ][

I can type, and what I type appears on the screen, but hitting a
CR just gives me the line of garbage again.

Am I doing something wrong?  I'd like to get the Prodos version,
so if anyone knows why  C.SYSTEM  isn't working right please let
me know.

-- rubio   (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)

eldorado@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (David D Jansen) (02/07/90)

There are ftp'ed files from plains.NoDak.edu in comp.binaries.apple2.
They are in Binscii and Shrinkit format.  They worked for me, I hope they
work also for you.  This is my first upload to the news group so let me
know if I did it right.
Good Luck!

Dave Jansen (The Gilded One)
eldorado@en.ecn.purdue.edu

"We have to make all our programs idiot-proof.  Idiots are very intelligent!"

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/07/90)

Some basic questions:

1	How does one integrate assembler code directly into the
	c program, instead of editing the .a file to include the
	opcodes?

2	This would make reading hardware flags much easier, along
	with writing terminal programs, interfacing hardware, etc.

3	How does only clear the screen?  I know cls works from the
	shell, but I don't know how to execute a system call.  If
	I knew how to interface assembler code I'd just do a jsr $fc58,
	I *think* that's the address for the home routine.  (I'm not at
	home and have no references handy here...).

4	How does one determine the end of file condition?

5	How does one read a line of input from the keyboard?

6	Can a person generate a file of assembler code and just
	link the c program and the assembler at the same time?

	A messy approach to accomplish the earlier goals,
	but it would work.

	If I knew how to do #1, I could do the rest.

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (02/07/90)

In article <7779@wpi.wpi.edu> greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:

   Some basic questions:

   1	How does one integrate assembler code directly into the
	   c program, instead of editing the .a file to include the
	   opcodes?
[
  This is how I would imagine it's done. compile a small C function
  which has a certain set of arguments (say two int's for example)
  that returns an int.  Then try to decipher from the resulting macro
  code how to access arguments passed on the stack.  Then decipher how
  to pass a result back (presumably on the stack as well)
]

   2	This would make reading hardware flags much easier, along
	   with writing terminal programs, interfacing hardware, etc.

   3	How does only clear the screen?  I know cls works from the
	   shell, but I don't know how to execute a system call.  If
	   I knew how to interface assembler code I'd just do a jsr $fc58,
	   I *think* that's the address for the home routine.  (I'm not at
	   home and have no references handy here...).

[
  Do a movecurs(0,0); and a clreos();
]

   4	How does one determine the end of file condition?
[==========================================================
main()
{
   FILE * fp = open ("foofile", "r");
   char c;

   while ((c = getc(fp)) != -1)  /* EOF == -1 */
   {
      do something with c;
   }
}

here's a workaround for a bug
main()
{
   FILE * fp = open ("foofile", "r");
   char c;

   while (1)
   {
     c = getc(fp);
     if (c == 255)  /* for some reason c is unsigned so EOF == 255     */
        break;      /* when you actually compare the variable instead  */
                    /* of the result of the assignment as above        */
     do something with c;
   }
}
============================================================]
   5	How does one read a line of input from the keyboard?
[===========================================================
   the basic routine which you want is getchr() ( I think it's there)
   thich reads a key from standard input.  Then all you do is allocate
   a buffer and store successive keystrokes.  If it fills the buffer,
   allocate a larger buffer and copy the existing buffer to it. Then
   free the old buffer.  This is one very straightforward approach.
===========================================================]
   6	Can a person generate a file of assembler code and just
	   link the c program and the assembler at the same time?
[ I assume so...  the question is how..  ]

Now for some info that might help people out there.  First off...  I
really like this compiler..  It's faster than Orca Small C, compiles
to extremely small executables, and supports a complete K&R C.
This package really shows off the 8 mhz Zip I have.

Pointers:
   Compile in /ram or ramdisk...  try to fit the libraries on ramdisk
   if you can to speed up linking.   If you move the libraries, you
   will have to modify the CC file in /csys/bin to look in the
   appropriate directory.

   Do a "sym libc" in /csys/libs  This will give you a long list of
   all the external functions in LIBC.. the external functions are of
   the form _function (i.e. _fprintf _open _atoi )

   Debugging is and development on the // is a pain.  I've composed a
   header file for by Sparcstation which will convert the functions
   and types from hyperc to Unix.  Things like

#define putstr(arg) printf("%s",arg)
#define open(arg1, arg2) fopen(arg1, arg2)

#define WORD int
#define UCHAR unsigned char

   this kind of thing makes it easier to develop on the Sparc, and
   easily compile on the //.

   Now to begin the port of Microemacs to the //c...  whoopie!

Have fun all...  I think I may just have to start a Hyper C mailing
list..

-Paul Nakada
pnakada@oracle.com

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (02/07/90)

Ok folks, yesterday I took my "working copy" of HyperC to the computer room
where about 20 //gs were located. I tried to run the program, but it didn't
work. So I am sure that it doesn't work on the //gs.

For people who is trying to patch it, good luck, 'cause I'd like to see it
running on the //gs.

--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 50MHz 68040, 64Mb RAM, 660Mb SCSI, |    Chun Yao Liao    |
|              NeXT laser printer, net connection.      | Accepting Donations!|
/* If (my_.signature =~ yours)  coincidence = true; else ignore_this = true; */

jamesio@pro-europa.cts.com (James Faircloth) (02/07/90)

I have been reading about HyperC for a long time and have even seen it around.

I now have a copy and have been wondering how to use it.  I have been learning
C on a 286 (under Turbo C).

Does anyone have the docs or any help files for HyperC?  Also, have any source
files that I could try out?

James

send any replies to the address right here      VVVVVV  (@nuchat)

For *SMALL* mail only:                   | For regular mail and FILES:
UUCP : crash!pro-europa!jamesio          | UUCP: jamesio@nuchat.UUCP
ARPA : crash!pro-europa!jamesio@nosc.mil | INET: jamesio@nuchat.sccsi.com
INET : jamesio@pro-europa.cts.com        |

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (02/08/90)

Does anyone have any documentation to HyperC that they could post??

I am looking for the names of the suppored functions and what they do,
and, if a standard function is named something else what is the new name.
example in HyperC putchar is called putchr.

Also this there any way to get HyperC to create a standard ProDOS
system file, or a binary file that can be run under basic system??
(To make a stand alone application)

Thanks

Vince DeMarco
demarco@cpsc.UCalgary.CA

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (02/09/90)

In article <2492@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) writes:

   Does anyone have any documentation to HyperC that they could post??

   I am looking for the names of the suppored functions and what they do,
   and, if a standard function is named something else what is the new name.
   example in HyperC putchar is called putchr.

[ a good start is to "sym libc" which gives you a list of all symbols
in the C library.  ]

   Also this there any way to get HyperC to create a standard ProDOS
   system file, or a binary file that can be run under basic system??
   (To make a stand alone application)

[ I think there's an executable in /csys/bin called mksys.   I assume
this makes a sys file out of a hyperc executable...  I also assume
that argc and argv are no longer usable.  ]

-Paul Nakada
pnakada@oracle.com
nakada@husc4.harvard.edu
nakada@husc4.bitnet

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (02/09/90)

In article <PNAKADA.90Feb8153706@pnakada.oracle.com>, pnakada@oracle.com (Paul
Nakada) says:

>In article <2492@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince       )
>Demarco) writes:
>
>   Also this there any way to get HyperC to create a standard ProDOS
>   system file, or a binary file that can be run under basic system??
>   (To make a stand alone application)
>
>[ I think there's an executable in /csys/bin called mksys.   I assume
>this makes a sys file out of a hyperc executable...  I also assume
>that argc and argv are no longer usable.  ]

I've tried using mksys, and it did change the filetype of the executable
to SYS but it wouldn't run except from in the shell. I've tried using
both the cc and ccn shell scripts, with no luck either way. Maybe there's
an option for lnk that does it?

At any rate, the manual sure would be useful. I take it nobody with the
manual has access to a scanner?

BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) (02/09/90)

In article <90039.215754ART100@PSUVM.BITNET>, Andy Tefft <ART100@psuvm.psu.edu>
says:

>I've tried using mksys, and it did change the filetype of the executable
>to SYS but it wouldn't run except from in the shell. I've tried using
>both the cc and ccn shell scripts, with no luck either way. Maybe there's
>an option for lnk that does it?

Creating a system file is much more complex than creating something to run,
say, in the shell or under BASIC.SYSTEM.  There are atrocious, though necessary
protocols that must be followed.  (Look in the _ProDOS_Technical_Reference_
_Manual_ for details.)

It would be *nice* if Hyper C would take care of all of these formalities for
you, but it doesn't look like that's the case.  Want to write a system file?
Grab yourself a copy of the _PTRM_ and start coding.  Do what you can in C, but
realize that you're going to have to do the nitty gritty in assembly and link
it in.

                      Ben Liblit
                      BRL102 @ psuvm.bitnet -- BRL102 @ psuvm.psu.edu
                      "Fais que tes reves soient plus longs que la nuit."

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (02/10/90)

I have finally compiled the neccessary docs for HyperC. Look for
HyperC.dox.shk on pro-generic (416) 237-0308. They are rather terse, but that
is why you're learning isn't it? It out lines where the stuff should be in
subdirectories to run. I would suggest running it off of a single floppy named
/csys. ED (it) the cc file to change this to /foo if you want. pwd tells you
the current prefix. It's in the dox. Prodos will not fit on the disk,
particularly with the fp libraries, so you will also need a boot disk or 800k
disk.

Larry Virden has pointed out that this program is not public domain. Since I
have received no proof that is I assume it is not. However, the start up
screen says something to the effect that sending $35.00 to an Austin address
will get you the manual. You can try, but this address has been defunct for at
least 4 years. It does, however, indicate that distribution of the disks is
encouraged, much like shareware. I feel that the dox I've provided will get
you running with it without infringing on the rights of the author. Mailing
photo-copies to various people is not. Also I do not believe uploading the
source is in the spirit of the distribution conditions.

Post any questions to this conference and I will do my best to answer them. In
lieu of any other support, I offer my services.

Eric Mcgillicuddy

  I have just taken a $18,000/year job mounting tapes. Boy, good thing I've
got a degree, or I'd be in the mailroom earning $18,500.

reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) (02/11/90)

Since EOF is not defined, even in std.h, how do you detect the end of
files?

Why does the compiler accept declarations of floats when it can't handle
expressions with them?

What do you use in place of getchar() and putchar()

Can someone please post a summary of the deviations from K&R and known
workarounds?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note that the file REGS65.AH if /CSYS/HDRS/ contains most of the definitions
you need to write in assembly, if you can figure out how to include it.
Also, take a look at NAT.MAC
--
Doug Reeder                                   USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!reeder
from ARPA: tektronix!reed!reeder@berkeley.EDU BITNET: reeder@reed.BITNET

reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) (02/11/90)

I have access to a scanner with character recognition software, so if
someone with a manual is willing to lend it to me, I can scan it in and post
or mail the text to people.
--

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (02/12/90)

>I have finally compiled the neccessary docs for HyperC...
>...I feel that the dox I've provided will get
>you running with it without infringing on the rights of the author. Mailing
>photo-copies to various people is not.
>
>Eric Mcgillicuddy

Is it all right to upload the docs to an ftp site or to comp.sys.apple?

Howard C. Huang                        Internet:  huang@husc4.harvard.edu
Sophomore Computer Science Major       Bitnet:    huang@husc4.BITNET
Mather House 426, Harvard College      UUCP:      huang@husc4.UUCP (I think)
Cambridge, MA 02138                    Apple II:  ftp husc6.harvard.edu

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (02/12/90)

In article <14121@reed.UUCP> reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) writes:

   Since EOF is not defined, even in std.h, how do you detect the end of
   files?

[
  EOF can be either -1 or 255.  Here are some hypotheses.  the
  getchr() function returns a signed char in which case you want to
  compare its result with -1.  When i tried to assign getchr() to a
  char and then check, I had to compare with 255.  So, I guess that
  the default char is an unsigned char.  I have yet to try, but I bet
  that assigning getchr() to a signed char will alleviate the problem.

  So.  EOF = -1 and getchr returns  signed char.
]

   Why does the compiler accept declarations of floats when it can't handle
   expressions with them?

[
   I assume that you must replace the libc and the pcc (i think) with
   the new files from the floating point disk.
]

   What do you use in place of getchar() and putchar()

[
   getchr() and putchr()  ..  again, let me stress, do a "sym libc" to
   find all of the hyperc external functions.
]

   Can someone please post a summary of the deviations from K&R and known
   workarounds?

[
   that could fill a book!
]

-Paul Nakada
pnakada@oracle.com

WPW100@psuvm.psu.edu (Will Wong) (02/12/90)

In article <PNAKADA.90Feb11160145@pnakada.oracle.com>, pnakada@oracle.com (Paul
Nakada) says:

>[
>   getchr() and putchr()  ..  again, let me stress, do a "sym libc" to
>   find all of the hyperc external functions.
>]

getchr() doesn't work for me but getkbd() seems to be the equivalent.

Is there some kind of translation for all symbols that sym libc gives?
What do things like X and A mean for a function?  Are they function
types? Do they tell us what parameters they take?

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (02/13/90)

In article <PNAKADA.90Feb11160145@pnakada.oracle.com>, pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) writes:
>In article <14121@reed.UUCP> reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) writes:
>
>   Since EOF is not defined, even in std.h, how do you detect the end of
>   files?
>
>[
>  EOF can be either -1 or 255.  Here are some hypotheses.  the
>  getchr() function returns a signed char in which case you want to
>  compare its result with -1.  When i tried to assign getchr() to a
>  char and then check, I had to compare with 255.  So, I guess that
>  the default char is an unsigned char.  I have yet to try, but I bet
>  that assigning getchr() to a signed char will alleviate the problem.
>
>  So.  EOF = -1 and getchr returns  signed char.
>]
Actually, getchr (should be getchar) PROBABLY returns an integer - this
is the way it is defined on MOST Un*x C compilers and also MS, Lattice,
and Aztec C compilers for MS-DOS.

As I recall, Aztec C for the Apple ][ also defines getchar as returning
an integer.

- Ron Wilson

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (02/13/90)

>I'm <<still>> trying to get a working copy of Hyper C from <<anywhere!>>
>
>I've tried to download it from a bbs and from  husc6.harvard.edu
>but neither of these were the Prodos version.  Both unShrinkITed
>just fine (no errors) and gave me a 5.25" disk which boot up and
>lock up after a few moments of disk activity.  Ctl-Reset reboots
>my machine (a IIgs ROM 01).
>
>I also tried the copy at  plains.NoDak.edu  (the Feb 4 version),
>which is the Prodos version.  This also unShrinked just fine and
>gave me a 5.25" Prodos disk "CSYS".  I try running the  C.SYSTEM
>application, and it gives me a blank screen with a short line of
>gibberish at the top, something like
>
>]  ]]} ]{[[  ][
>
>I can type, and what I type appears on the screen, but hitting a
>CR just gives me the line of garbage again.
>
>Am I doing something wrong?  I'd like to get the Prodos version,
>so if anyone knows why  C.SYSTEM  isn't working right please let
>me know.

-- rubio   (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)

I have a original copy of Hyper C from when it was a real product from a real
company.  The ProDOS version of Hyper C doesn't work on a GS of any flavor.  I
had reported it to the company, but before I got a response, they went under.

Maybe someone will come up with a fix.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!samt
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!samt@nosc.mil
INET: samt@pro-europa.cts.com

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (02/14/90)

In article <90040.003515BRL102@PSUVM.BITNET> BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) writes:
>In article <90039.215754ART100@PSUVM.BITNET>, Andy Tefft <ART100@psuvm.psu.edu>
>says:
>> [Said something about mksys not changing a Hyper C executable into a
>>  working SYS file]
>Creating a system file is much more complex than creating something to run,
>say, in the shell or under BASIC.SYSTEM. There are atrocious, though necessary
>protocols that must be followed.

	Atrocious? Last time I looked (about 10 seconds ago), you just have
to locate the program at $2000 (but you can easily prepend something to
move it up or down), and then make a QUIT call. Granted, making a quit call
from a high-level language isn't the easiest thing in the world, but I don't
think they called it the MLI (Machine Language Interface) for nothing.

	Of course, if you want to start providing extra features to the
user, you have to do some extra coding. This doesn't seem particularly
bizarre to me.

>It would be *nice* if Hyper C would take care of all of these formalities for
>you, but it doesn't look like that's the case.  Want to write a system file?
>Grab yourself a copy of the _PTRM_ and start coding. Do what you can in C, but
>realize that you're going to have to do the nitty gritty in assembly and link
>it in.

	Btw, the appropriate info is on page 86. The nitty gritty stuff will
almost certainly be no longer than 30 lines (this would include moving the
program around in memory and the quit call). It wouldn't even be necessary
to link the stuff in - it could be written with a different assembler, and
you'd just have to write a program to stick your start-up code and the
program in question together.

>                      Ben Liblit
>                      BRL102 @ psuvm.bitnet -- BRL102 @ psuvm.psu.edu

--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/15/90)

In article <90040.003515BRL102@PSUVM.BITNET> BRL102@psuvm.psu.edu (Ben Liblit) writes:
>Creating a system file is much more complex than creating something to run,
>say, in the shell or under BASIC.SYSTEM.  There are atrocious, though necessary
>protocols that must be followed.  (Look in the _ProDOS_Technical_Reference_
>_Manual_ for details.)
>
>It would be *nice* if Hyper C would take care of all of these formalities for
>you, but it doesn't look like that's the case.  Want to write a system file?
>Grab yourself a copy of the _PTRM_ and start coding.  Do what you can in C, but
>realize that you're going to have to do the nitty gritty in assembly and link
>it in.

It not that big a deal, a system file has to load in and be prepared to
run at $2000, Hyperc creates it object files to run there anyways...

It have to install its system version number in the global page.
You write one value to one place.  Big Deal.

It has to be able to execute an MLI quit call when done.
Once again, big deal.  Thats about ten bytes you have to
program.

The big problem we all run into is how do we save the image of
the file along with its runtime libraries...

In other words, how do we create a file, whether it be binary or
system that can run outside of the HyperC environment?

In article <1466@crash.cts.com> samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) writes:
>I have a original copy of Hyper C from when it was a real product from a real
>company.  The ProDOS version of Hyper C doesn't work on a GS of any flavor.  I
>had reported it to the company, but before I got a response, they went under.
>
>Maybe someone will come up with a fix.

Someone did, check comp.apple.binaries
---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609   there is much to be done.
If my next computer isn't a IIgs, it won't be an apple... Me.

eldorado@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (David D Jansen) (02/19/90)

To those who I have offended by uploading distribution Hyper C, I am sorry.  I
was not thinking that anyone would be alarmed by my actions.  There was so
much discussion on the net that I thought everyone would be excited to get
a copy.  I believe in Grandma, apple pie, and the American way but I don't
believe in copyrights.  Sure people put a lot of hard work into programming
and other occupations and deserve to be recognized.  But why should things
be restricted so much.  I program very much and will share my programs with
others if it makes them happy or if they feel they can use it to improve it.
In my classes, I get help from others in my programs and I help others.  I
don't really have a hippie attitude but when something I write helps educate
someone, makes them happy, saves them trouble of doing it themselves, it makes
me satisfied.  I don't even need a CopyRight.  Maybe I am the last of the hakers................................................................................

With regards to compiling Hyper C to get it to work in a stand alone Prodos
environment, how do you do it.  I always get a text file and not a binary
object file.  Even when I use the ccn compiler.  What do you know that I don't?

Dave Jansen (The Gilded One)
eldorado@en.ecn.purdue.edu

"We have to make all our programs idiot-proof.  Idiots are very intelligent!"

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (02/19/90)

Routed the messages via Echo Point again, eh? Anyhow, here are answers to some
of the questions posted about HyperC.

global zero page locations (as posted by m.j pender)
   sp   stack pointer system not hardware.
   fp   frame pointer
   pc   program counter for the interpreter
   r1-r4 work registers
   jp    addressing register
   dsip0-disp15  display registers

you are free to use r1-r4, jp, smask for your own uses, however do not alter
the other locations, or restore them upon completion otherwise the C-engine
will get lost.  stack items are always 2 byte items. r1 always holds the
returned value and is always a 2 byte value (this is a 16 bit compiler running
on an 8-bit machine)

to use 65c02 opcodes use -e in asm65 calls (modify cc, ccn batch files)

getchar(fp) is called getc(fp) and returns an INT, -1 if an error (not 255 I
think, although this may work since the flags are set on 8 bit values - it
would be machine specific though)

inline assembly is not supported. mainly because there are two assemblers, one
pseudo - opcodes and the other using native opcodes. All parameters are 16 bit
values, check the C-stack for them using (sp),y addressing (from assembly).
Return any values in r1 (remember 16 bits). If ther is interest I will provide
info on the native mode assembler, it is basically like orca/m,but uses
different keywords to implement constants and storage.

The screen can be cleared using page(). Works with printer output also. Note
that most of these screen functions assume that c3out is active (you're in 80
columns), some will work in 40 cols, some will not.

there are several functions to read the keyboard. conRead(buffer,maxchars) is
the most versatile, it accepts maxchar-2 characters and appends a newline and
<delete> cancels the last character, <ctrl-X> clears line without exitting
function, <ctrl-p> toggles state of printing, and <ctrl-@> aborts the program
by calling system error handler (abort code 13). text is echoed to the stdout.
kbdRead(is identical, except that it does not echo output.
getkey(buffer) gets the next key from the a2 keyboard with high bit clear.
       ^^^^ clrbuffer - boolean, when set buffer purged and next keypress
awaited. keypress() returns boolean of keyboard latch, polls latch rather than
waiting for keypress.

If using a ramdisk, I suggest the easiest method is to use autoexec to copy
the neccessary files and the rename the volume to /csys. This requires no
re-witting of the various batch files. A 512k disk is about minimum useful
size.

If you are not using the floating point libraries, non-integers are consdered
8 byte values.

putchar(fp) is called putc(fp) - fp is the prodos file id (0-7). The person
who wrote this compiler hated to type more than Ritchie, so try reducing
letters on common C functions, you should find most of them. argc, argc are
called av, ac by this guy!

to read files try the following:

INT c;

while (c=getc(myfile)) >= 0) {
     pissaround();
         .
         :
 }
it stops when -1 is encountered. it should be $ffff, so any 8-bit ASCII value
is good, unless two deletes in a row. I'm not sure, try it.

Shell commands ls, cp, etc. do not support switches. Shell functions sym, lnk,
asm65, etc. do.

System programs - The programmer is responsible for all details required to
implement a sys application. mksys only changes the filetype, nothing more. A
makesys() function could be drawn up for inclusion fairly easily. To make
The C runtime libraries needed by stand alone applications and the operating
system interface are located in the low memory (basically, the shell). Your
programs don't need a separate copy of the code unless you intend to make
fully stand alone programs. (professional Prodos users only - That's us). This
is verbatim out of the manual, but is not explianed at any time in the manual,
therefore I assume you must ship the shell with your program in order to get
it to run.

try lnk -c foofile and look at the output this generates a symbol table for
foofile without cluttering it with code or data. Most of the utillities are
linked with -s option, which kills the symbol after linking making it hard to
see what libraries are used.

Bitsets - but first enums - enums allow single bits to represent values.

enum color (red,blue,green)
      ctrgun=red;
      bckgrnd=green;
-since color has less than 257 values it occupies a single byte
- equivalent to #define red 0
                #define green  1
                #define blue   2
                typedef unsigned char color;
                color crtgun=red;
                color bckgrnd =green;
e.g.  x=(enum color) y;   - I assume 'y' holds the required bit- 'red'?

bitsets are packed arrays of bits
 - similiar to a struct or union, except that its namespace is the same as
that used by variables, functions and typedefs.

bitset  colorset {enum color}
        pallette = {red, blue}
e.g.   ok = x in (colorset) y;
       ok = x in(bitset colorset) y;
       ok = x in (bitset (red..green) y; - not reccommended

-elements can be added tor removed from bitsets with +,- respectively

e.g.  pallette += black
      pallette -= blue;    removes blue from bitset

sym output codes :
        a - absolute
        b - bss

        d - data
        t - text  (really executable code)
        x - xternal reference
        0x# - address of symbol, relative
        name - symbol name

I think you will find HyperC much closer to Ansi C than K&R, I hope this has
helped straighten out some difficulties. Post more questions a nd I'll see
what I can do.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (02/20/90)

In article <9002190601.AA26060@en.ecn.purdue.edu> eldorado@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (David D Jansen) writes:
>...  But why should things be restricted so much.

It's called "property rights".

>I program very much and will share my programs with others if it makes
>them happy or if they feel they can use it to improve it.

Fine, it's your right to give away the result of your own effort if you wish.
It is NOT your right to give away the result of other people's efforts against
their wishes.  Even if you don't understand moral arguments, you should be
able to understand the argument that if people come to expect that their work
will be stolen so that they cannot obtain the compensation in trade for their
work that they had been expecting, they'll quit producing such products and
find something more lucrative to do with their time.

>Maybe I am the last of the hakers

No, Richard Stallman is the last of the hackers.
He has been cited as saying that any software he can get his hands on is his.
You'd probably get along fine with him.

ST802148@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Evan) (02/20/90)

I managed to get the files through ftp from plains.nodak.edu, and
kermitted them to my //e. However, shrinkit doesn't recognize them as
shrinkit files. Even though they are in text format, shrinkit should
regonize it. Should I just use a file type changer to make it $E0 and
then try again? Is it shrunk some other way? Thanx

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (02/21/90)

In article <11186.infoapple.net@pro-generic> ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>getchar(fp) is called getc(fp) and returns an INT, -1 if an error (not 255 I
>think, although this may work since the flags are set on 8 bit values - it
>would be machine specific though)
>putchar(fp) is called putc(fp) - fp is the prodos file id (0-7). The person
>who wrote this compiler hated to type more than Ritchie, so try reducing
>letters on common C functions, you should find most of them. argc, argc are
>called av, ac by this guy!
>it stops when -1 is encountered. it should be $ffff, so any 8-bit ASCII value
>is good, unless two deletes in a row. I'm not sure, try it.
>I think you will find HyperC much closer to Ansi C than K&R,

I don't claim to know specifics of HyperC, but it would help if you knew C.
Standard C functions getchar() and putchar() have no arguments; getc() and
putc() do, although if your description is correct then HyperC is abusing
them since the standard requires FILE* arguments, not ProDOS file-ID ints.
The value -1 returned by a function has nothing to do with flags being set.
If HyperC extends the sign when returning an 8-bit input byte via getc(),
then it is misimplemented since in that case one of the 256 possible byte
values is indistinguishable from EOF (-1).  Normally this would not be a
problem, as getc() should not sign-extend.  Two deletes in a row would give
you two successive 0x7F (or maybe 0xFF) returns, not a single -1 return.
argc and argv are not functions -- they're conventional names for the
parameters of the main() function, but like all C parameters their names
are not chosen by the implementation and can be chosen by the programmer.
Finally, I doubt very much that HyperC resembles an implementation of ANSI
X3.159-1989 more closely than it resembles an implementation of K&R 1st
Edition Appendix A.  From your description of putc() I wouldn't say it is
very close to either one.

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (02/28/90)

Rajeev Dayal has asked how to get the current working directory. In the Shell,
'pwd' displays the current prefix. This hints at the presense of a library
function that handles the details. The documentation does not list one,
however some poking around reveals a routine that can be called from within a
program.

LOCAL VOID getPrefix(buf)
CHAR buf[64]
handles the situation. Prodos recommends 64 characters for prefixes so make
sure that amount of memory is reserved.

This brings up another point. On my searches, I found that most MLI calls were
handled directly by HyperC functions. In fact you could probably write FST's
in HyperC (not really, but I wanted to turn some of Matt's hair gray). Three
different methods are used to pass parameter though. One uses the address of
the destination buffer, usually on 1 parameter calls. The second passes the
address of a structure, for 6 or greater parameter calls. The ones in between,
mercifully few, use global variables such as NewPath[], oldPath[], and a few
others. Returned values will likely occupy one or more of the parameters
passed (or structures thereof). I would suggest re-writting the lowest level
MLI calls in an assembly module that you personally can use. for example here
is the _getPrefix call using the HyperC asm6502 assembler:

        .entry  _getPrefix
_getPrefix:
        ldy  #0
        lda  [sp],y
        sta  pfixparms+1
        iny
        lda  [sp],y
        sta  pfixparms+2
        jsr  0xbf00   ;prodos jmp vector
        .byte  0xc7
        .word  pfixparms
        sta  _ioresult  ;global variable return right?
        rts
pfixparms:
        .byte  1
        .word  0

Mr. Dayal's other question dealt with the floating point functions. Results
are returned in the first parameter passed. e.g. fmultd(f1,f2) returns the
result in f1. To get around this he suggested writing separate functions that
create a temp variable and then call the desired function. for instance:

DOUBLE multd (f1,f2)
        DOUBLE f1,f2;
{
        DOUBLE temp;
        temp=f1;
        return(fmuld(temp,f2));
}

This will work, however I believe temp still takes real memory although how
long before it is re-used is unknown, I'd expect some of the zero page memory
locations are used for temporary storage and there is no telling how soon they
will become non-current. I would suggest allocating the 4-10 bytes up front
just to be sure. i.e.
        DOUBLE f1,f2,f3;

        f3=f1;
        fmuld(f3,f2);

eldorado@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (David D Jansen) (03/14/90)

When I compile the source code, I can execute the object file in the Hyper C
shell, but how do I run the programs I create in prodos (as a binary or
even system file)?  I looked at the object file and it looks like p-code.
And the file is a text file, not a binary one.  I have used cc and ccn
with the same results.
While I am at it, I am building an interface to a RS-232 for input and
output.  I need help writing an assembly or C (if I can create a binary
executable code) which can configure, read and write to slot 2.  This would
probably be best using interupts since it runs at 4800 baud (possibly 9600
in the future).  I have tried to mess around with sending stuff out the
port but I don't really know how.  Could some of you who have written
Comm programs help out?  Maybe I'll check the TechNotes.  Can C handle
interupts?  Thanks...