[comp.sys.apple] KERMIT

Dave_Brennan@RPI-MTS.MAILNET (12/17/86)

   Since people are on the subject of kermit, I was wondering how
I could get a hold of the II version.  Also I have an ERA2 modem,
which is a 1200 plug in card.  The company that makes it (MicroCom)
claims that it works exactly like a Super Serial Card attached to
a Hayes micromodem.  That's what they CLAIM.  The only programs that
the modem works with seem to be Ascii Express and Modem Manager.
I've attempted to write some software for this thing but can't get
the company to tell me much of anything.

   They also CLAIMS that that the modem supports interrupts, but
I have yet to get them to work.  (It's also funny that the first
thing their software does is disable interrupts.)

   Any help would be appreciated.

 Dave Brennan - usere0ft@RPITSMTS.BITNET

koko@uthub.toronto.edu (M. Kokodyniak) (12/19/86)

>    They also CLAIMS that that the modem supports interrupts, but
> I have yet to get them to work.  (It's also funny that the first
> thing their software does is disable interrupts.)
			       ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^

Any program which uses interrupts should do this first!
If you attempt to initialize possible sources of interrupts
(such as UART chips) while CPU interrupts are enabled, and should
an interrupt occur during that initialization, then disaster
might result.  Probably sometime after this initialization is
complete, CPU interrupts are re-enabled.

Of course, this does not mean that the Kermit program you
describe handles interrupts properly.

>  Dave Brennan - usere0ft@RPITSMTS.BITNET

				Mike Kokodyniak

schumann@puff.UUCP (01/29/87)

Hello.  Could someone please send me ProDOS Kermit?  Also, what is the
latest version of DCOM?

Advance thanks,
Chris Schumann			schumann@puff.wisc.edu

dowst@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV.UUCP (10/22/87)

Will someone please upload the last and greatest Apple Kermit to GEnie?

Thanks in advance.
Henry Dowst

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (02/27/88)

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (an address that bounces mail by the way) writes:
>        It also supports Kermit protocol so you don't have to use Kermit
>anymore.

That's true, but ProTerm costs $$$ while Kermit is public domain
(it DOES have a copyright, and I believe there is a nominal fee commercial
users are supposed to remit to Columbia).

Kermit 3.81 does a rather nice VT-100, supports the IIgs keypad, AND
permits wildcard file transfers (batch transfers).  Unfortunately, the
use of 6-bit encoding adapted from the EXECUTIONER seems to be causing
more than a small amount of corruption of the code.  It has proven
difficult to transmit reliable copies even within bitnet much less
across nets.

The principal limitation I see with Kermit is that most BBS's (Fido
boards are an exception) don't support Kermit (Xmodem or some variant
of that are the protocols of choice in the BBS World).  Hence, ProTerm
probably is the best available all purpose Apple commware value (I
like SOFTERM 2 rather well for myself, but I wrote the exorbitant price
off as a business expense several years ago; alas, it is not competitively
priced for today's environment).

---------------------
Disclaimer: My employer often is appalled by my opinions, and
            my facts may be only vaguely right <slippery when wet>.

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (03/14/88)

 <agate!saturn!ucscb.UCSC.EDU!unknown@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> writes that
in article <78@unibase.UUCP> leigh@unibase.UUCP (Leigh Calnek) writes:

>> am interested in finding out more about using kermit with
>> an apple iie and iigs.  Any current users able to pass
>> along info regarding availability and performance on the gs
>> and iie would be appreciated.
>
>I haven't used Kermit before, but ProTERM (all versions) support it. Another
>message I just posted tells many other redeeming features of ProTERM as a
>terminal program.

There IS one important little difference you've overlooked.  ProTERM
is $80(?) while Kermit 3.82 is public domain (Columbia asks a VERY modest
site license fee for commercial users; for academic an nonprofit use,
it's no charge).  If you can do with a fairly reasonable VT52 or VT100
terminal emulation and the transfer protocol, then Apple Kermit is all
you need.  Kermit supports the IIgs internal port, Super Serial Card,
Microtek 622C, Apple Com Card, Micromodem (anyone still using 300 baud?),
and most other serial cards.

---------------------
Disclaimer: I like my opinions better than my employers anyway...

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (03/14/88)

>am interested in finding out more about using kermit with
>an apple iie and iigs.  Any current users able to pass
>along info regarding availability and performance on the gs
>and iie would be appreciated.
>uunet!mcl!unibase!leigh
>Leigh Calnek
I use Kermit daily. I doesn't have the bells and whistles of some programs but
does a more than adequate job.  As to Proterm, I know a few people who use it
and have yet to hear anything bad about it.
 Kermit can be used as a SERVER when
connecting to another micro and now has wildcard capability.  I have been
unsuccessful with any sort of trapping but then I haven'ttried it since going
to VT100 emulation. I found by accident the other day that Xon/Xoff works on
this frame when going through the 7171. It didn't on the TTY. Please let me kno
w if you have any specific questions.
Bob Church   CS656OUACCMVB

ds6w+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Donald C. Snow") (03/15/88)

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of kermit that supports 80
collumns? Currently, the only copy I have been able to find had 40
collumns, with a promise from the author to someday upgrade to 80. I
want it for the terminal emulation, and it doesn't work too well
with only 40 collumns.

-Don

MPENDER@WPI.BITNET (05/05/88)

Actually it doesn't help at all.  Performance with the second choice is
lousy.  Choice #2 on my menus is for a different card, I don't use
UNIX, I always use 1200 baud, and the laser 128 does generate interrupts,
I know because I wrote and use interrupt driven background programs
which put a clock on the screen, etc.

Why not just make a Laser 128 driver and install it in the menu?

rgc@edison.GE.COM (GENIUS Open Architecture) (05/12/88)

Is there a Kermit for the apple family?
If so, could someone send it to me ...
IF not, what are the most common file transfer
programs available for the apples???

Mucho thanks,
Rick

--
Rick Carl               GE Fanuc  -  Charlottesville, VA  22901
rgc@edison.GE.COM

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (05/24/88)

> Is there a Kermit for the apple family?
> If so, could someone send it to me ...
> IF not, what are the most common file transfer
> programs available for the apples???

The source and hex files for several versions of Apple II Kermit are
available form listserver KERMSRV@CUVMA.  To get a directory listing
of all of the Apple II files, try the command:

      DIR APP*.*

The file APPAAA.HLP is a description of what most of the other files
are.  To get this file, try the command:

      PRINT APPAAA.HLP

Quick install files for several versions (the most recent being
Kermit 3.83) are also available from the APPLE2-L list from
LISTSERV@BROWNVM.  To get an index of all of the files available, try
the command:

      INDEX APPLE2-L

To obtain one of the files, try the command:

      GET APPLE2-L yy-nnnnn

where "yy" and "nnnnn" are the numbers shown in the filetype column
of the index.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                  (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU            ARPA: jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,  Bethesda, MD 20892

tmetro@lynx.northeastern.EDU (05/27/88)

Donald C. Snow <pnet01!crash!andrew.cmu.edu!ds6w+> writes:

> 1. The file ker383.1 contains the directions "include UUCP headers". It also
> says "cut here" before the UUCP headers. Which is right?
Either should work. As far as I can figure the creator the the Kermit EXEC
files came up with a way that the files could be downloaded and EXECuted
without having to edit the files to remove the UUCP (or whatever) headers.
When you type EXEC KER383.1,R25 the R parameter is the key to the trick. This
is normally used to specify which Record the file pointer should point to
in a random access file. (As far as I can figure:) Since the KER383.1 file
isn't a random access file a record is delimited by a RETURN, so and R25
specifies 25 lines into the file. This ought to be enough to clear the
headers. The REM statements were included as a buffer between the headers
and the beginning of the file. There needs to be at least 25 REM lines (which
there was) incase the user removed the headers. That prevents the R25 from
skipping lines of the actual program.

This should have been explained in that REM space.

REM FIRST LINE OF KER383.1-- DO NOT REMOVE THESE REM LINES
REM SAVE AS "KER383.1" [AS RECEIVED, WITHOUT REMOVING UUCP HEADERS]
REM 27632 BYTES        *** INSTRUCTIONS ***     WARNING KER383.2 IS DELETED

The file size, "27632", is the correct file size for KER383.1 with the UUCP
headers removed. Anyone want to explain "WARNING KER383.2 IS DELETED"?
Is that supposed to mean that it _will_ be deleted by the time KER383.1 is
done EXECuting?

---------------
I downloaded my copy of Kermit 3.83 from Apple2-L and was able to get it
working after a few tries. It would be nice if EXEC files were limited to
25K sections. AppleWorks does more damage than good to EXEC files, so I
usually use FredWriter for editing which is limited to about 25K. (Anyone
know where I could get the source to FredWriter/FreeWriter? I would like to
modify it to use the AUX RAM in 128K machines.) After editing, the sections
have to be appended together, which doesn't always work that great.

Kermit seemed to work OK at 1200 baud, but was very noisy at 2400 baud
(normally I get noise free connections at 2400 baud) and locked up a couple
of times. This required escaping to the Kermit prompt and reconnecting. I'm
using a //c, so there's no question that interrupts were enabled (no SSC
DIP switch.)

RE: Mouse text in Kermit
Occasionally when using AE some noise will cause the screen to display Mouse
text. This is caused by the reception of an ESC (27) and can be turned off
with a Ctrl-X (24). In AE you can optionally filter out the ESC character
to prevent this. I would guess that this is the same problem that Kermit has.
It would probably show up if you had emulation turned off and were connected
to a host sending escape codes (VT52, VT100).

  ___________
 / Tom Metro \_____________________________________________________________
|                                                   _   _                  |
| INET: tmetro@pro-angmar.uucp              --/\/\_| |_| '- DigiTell, Inc. |
| ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-angmar!tmetro@nosc.mil             Newton, MA     |
|_UUCP:_[ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc]!crash!pnet01!pro%angmar!tmetro________________|

An interesting return path; it looks nothing like the one in the .sig
(I guess that means it will bounce - ain't UUCP a hoot 8-)

>              ...Anyone want to explain "WARNING KER383.2 IS DELETED"?
>Is that supposed to mean that it _will_ be deleted by the time KER383.1 is
>done EXECuting?

KER383.1 writes the 'T' files containing serial drivers and the KER383.INSTALL
files then calls KER383.2 which loads the main program (the 'B' file
into memory).  There isn't room on a 5.25 inch floppy for KER383.1,
KER383.2, the serial drivers AND KERMIT383 (binary).  So KER383.2 is
DELETED by KER383.INSTALL to make room to BSAVE KERMIT383,A$1000,L$6F00
(maybe L$6E00, Ted changes that as he makes improvements, I use L$6F00
because that's as large as any version has gotten so far).

If the EZ Install crashes while running, you can try the BSAVE by hand.
That works if the Install hung AFTER it got the program code into memory.
It's not too hard to load a serial driver by hand, BSAVE and write a
KERMIT.INIT file with a word processor (or use KERMIT.INIT from a previous
version).

>I downloaded my copy of Kermit 3.83 from Apple2-L and was able to get it
>working after a few tries. It would be nice if EXEC files were limited to
>25K sections.

I think the problem is getting the (borrowed) EXECUTIONER encryption to
work properly.  If that code is broken into two files, EXECing the second
one seems to crash the code that's reading the encryption.

Ted had a (much smaller) 6byte encryption version, but that proved to
travel badly to some sites (the old ASCII-->EBCDIC-->ASCII problem), so
the current INSTALL is in 4byte.  Once you have Kermit to download it
with, you shouldn't need to use word processors to clean up the received
files (it's getting that first working copy of Kermit that's the head-
ache).

>Kermit seemed to work OK at 1200 baud, but was very noisy at 2400 baud

The problem is the phone line.  Sometimes simply hanging up and dialing
again will clear the condition.  The baud rate the problems occur at
depend on the noise frequency.  I call a local BBS at 2400 and have no
noise at all; whereas others calling at 1200 complain at length.

I've used Kermit up to 9600 baud and it works.  Grant Delaney evidently
has it running at 19,200 on his IIgs.

>(normally I get noise free connections at 2400 baud) and locked up a couple
>of times. This required escaping to the Kermit prompt and reconnecting. I'm
>using a //c, so there's no question that interrupts were enabled (no SSC
>DIP switch.)

Using SET FLOW XON?  Ted still hasn't found the bug that causes a lockup
when the Apple keyboard is in use while the host is transmitting characters.
The cure is ^Q (send an XON; apparently Kermit "forgets" it's sent one
more XOFF than it's sent XONs).

>RE: Mouse text in Kermit
>Occasionally when using AE some noise will cause the screen to display Mouse
>text. This is caused by the reception of an ESC (27) and can be turned off
>with a Ctrl-X (24).

The cause can't simply be ESC, as cursor control in VT-52/VT-100 is built
on sequences starting with ESC.  I know that k-esc (default= ^@), E
will restore the characters to normal inverse; I'll have to try ^X the
next time it happens and see if that works too.

---------------------
Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

tmetro@lynx.northeastern.EDU (05/29/88)

Murphy Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu> writes:
> >...Anyone want to explain "WARNING KER383.2 IS DELETED"?
> >Is that supposed to mean that it _will_ be deleted by the time KER383.1 is
> >done EXECuting?
> There isn't room on a 5.25 inch floppy for KER383.1, KER383.2, the serial
> drivers AND KERMIT383 (binary).  So KER383.2 is DELETED by KER383.INSTALL
> to make room to BSAVE KERMIT383,A$1000,L$6F00...
If KER383.2 isn't deleted until the EXECution of KER383.INSTALL then why not
save displaying the message "KER383.2 IS DELETED" until the EXECution of
KER383.INSTALL? If you want to prewarn the user that it will be deleted either
say that it _will_ be deleted or ask the user if its OK to delete it (although
its kinda hard to abort an EXEC file.) The way it is now it looks like a cross
between an error message and a warning. [This is more of a question for the
creator of the Kermit EXEC files.]

> >It would be nice if EXEC files were limited to 25K sections.
> I think the problem is getting the (borrowed) EXECUTIONER encryption to
> work properly.  If that code is broken into two files, EXECing the second
> one seems to crash the code that's reading the encryption.
Ker383.1 could have easily been broken into 2 parts. Maybe the EXECUTIONER
program could be modified to allow a system of file segmenting.

> Once you have Kermit to download it with, you shouldn't need to use word
> processors to clean up the received files (it's getting that first working
> copy of Kermit that's the headache).
I could have sent the file to the ProLine system I use where I could have
downloaded the files using XMODEM, but it only has a 20Mb HD (which
occationally fills) so I'd rather not clutter up the system with large files.
In either case - XMODEM or Kermit - I'd still have to remove the file headers
and the descriptions from the APPLE2-L messages.

> >Kermit seemed to work OK at 1200 baud, but was very noisy at 2400 baud
> The problem is the phone line.  Sometimes simply hanging up and dialing
> again will clear the condition.
As I stated before:
> >(normally I get noise free connections at 2400 baud)
I verified this by calling the same location at the same baud rate within
5 minutes changing nothing but the software and I got a clean connection
as usual. The cause is described below...

> >...and locked up a couple
> >of times. This required escaping to the Kermit prompt and reconnecting.
> Using SET FLOW XON?  Ted still hasn't found the bug that causes a lockup
> when the Apple keyboard is in use while the host is transmitting characters.
> The cure is ^Q (send an XON; apparently Kermit "forgets" it's sent one
> more XOFF than it's sent XONs).
Yes, I was using SET FLOW XON. I tried sending an XON after it locked up and
it had no effect. I then SET FLOW OFF and not only did that cure the lockup
problem, but it also got rid of all of the noise!
How about an explanation of the SET FLOW command (seeing as there isn't any
updated documentation available)? I would guess thats its only needed when
saving a LOG file to disk.(??)

> >RE: Mouse text in Kermit
> >This is caused by the reception of an ESC (27) and can be turned off
> >with a Ctrl-X (24).
> The cause can't simply be ESC, as cursor control in VT-52/VT-100 is built
> on sequences starting with ESC.
Why not? Normally Kermit intercepts the ESC sequences and translates them to
80 column firmware codes. All it would take is to disable Kermit's intercept
of the sequences (no emulation) or some invalid sequence (maybe 3 ESCs in a
row) that would pass the ESC to the Apple firmware.

  ___________
 / Tom Metro \_____________________________________________________________
|                                                   _   _                  |
|_Alternate: tmetro@lynx.northeastern.edu__________________________________|

>Yes, I was using SET FLOW XON. I tried sending an XON after it locked up and
>it had no effect. I then SET FLOW OFF and not only did that cure the lockup
>problem, but it also got rid of all of the noise!
>How about an explanation of the SET FLOW command (seeing as there isn't any
>updated documentation available)? I would guess thats its only needed when
>saving a LOG file to disk.(??)

Mea culpa.  I should have remembered.  Hosts which don't explicitly use
XON/XOFF flow control (even if they DO recognize XOFF) may have a problem
with Kermit-65 if FLOW is XON/XOFF (because Kermit sends XON when it's
ready to receive, and a host <many BBS programs> which doesn't use
XON for flow control may respond to it as a character).  For some
reason, a Commodore BBS near here reacts to those XON's as if they were
random characters; whatever response the BBS decides to generate elicits
yet another XON from Kermit and the thing runs amok.

On a host that DOES use flow control (most mainframes) and which will
send characters (screen pages) while receiving input into a "type ahead"
buffer Kermit's XON/XOFF prevents loss of characters at speeds of 1200
baud and up.

The most recent documentation (for version 3.81 dated December '87)
covers the FLOW command and nearly all the other features of version
3.83 (exceptions are SET PROTOCOL, TAKE, and k-esc,E).  Those docs
are available from KERMSERV@CUVMA (APPLE.DOC) or by anonymous ftp
from cu20b.columbia.edu

---------------------
Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

schlichting%v70nl.decnet@NUSC.ARPA ("V70NL::SCHLICHTING") (10/26/88)

Columbia is no longer on arpanet so it is not possible to ftp kermit
files from there. Is there an alternative way to get the latest versions
of kermit from an arpanet site? Thanks for any help. Chris Schlichting
(Schlichting@NUSC.arpa)

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith B. Petersen ) (10/27/88)

Kermit files may be obtained over networks and by mail order.  On
the Internet, use FTP to log in to host CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU,
a VAX 8700 running UNIX (Ultrix), IP host number is 128.59.40.130.
Login as user ANONYMOUS (any password) and GET the desired files.
The Kermit files are in directories kermit/a, kermit/b, kermit/c,
kermit/d, and kermit/e.  You can also get Kermit files over BITNET/EARN;
to get started send a message with text HELP to KERMSRV, the Kermit
file server, at host CUVMA.  For detailed instructions, read the file
k1/aanetw.hlp (AANETW HLP on KERMSRV).  To order by mail, request a
complete list of Kermit versions and an order form from Kermit
Distribution, Columbia University Center for Computing Activities,
612 West 115th Street, New York, NY 10025 USA.

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M and MSDOS archives at SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.0.0.74]

>                  Is there an alternative way to get the latest versions
>of kermit from an arpanet site? Thanks for any help. Chris Schlichting

Same old fruitstand, new name.  The Internet machine which contains kermit
files available via anonymous ftp is cunixc.cc.columbia.edu

                                     [The Far Side shall return (I hope)]
Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

"Close enough for government work" - source unknown (naturally ;-)

pmwenzel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Peter M. Wenzel) (10/28/88)

In article <8810260918.aa08205@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> schlichting%v70nl.decnet@NUSC.ARPA ("V70NL::SCHLICHTING") writes:
>Columbia is no longer on arpanet so it is not possible to ftp kermit
>files from there. Is there an alternative way to get the latest versions
>of kermit from an arpanet site? Thanks for any help. Chris Schlichting
>(Schlichting@NUSC.arpa)

This is incorrect.  CU20B.Columbia.Edu no longer exists, but all its Kermit
files are now on the machine CUNIXC.CC.Columbia.Edu in the directories
kermit/a, kermit/b, etc.
         ___                       ||
      __/   \   _                  ||  Pete Wenzel
     / _     \_/ \__^__/\_/-\      ||  Mail Code 1-60
    | | |     ---PMWenzel---->     ||  California Institute of Technology
    | |_|     ==============/      ||  Pasadena, CA  91126
     \__     / @CITRomeo.Bitnet    ||  (818) 577-9005
        \___/ @Juliet.Caltech.Edu  ||

craparotta@liovax.DEC.COM (Physical T5--Virtual T7) (12/31/88)

I saw that someone posted that Kermit3.85 was put on Apple2-l.. I didn't see
it up there yet.. When might this happen..

Joe

>I saw that someone posted that Kermit3.85 was put on Apple2-l.. I didn't see
>it up there yet.. When might this happen..

Chris Chung <Chris@BrownVM.BITNET> "moderates" APPLE2-L.  I haven't heard
from him this week.  It seems likely he's on holiday.

We don't recognize (haven't previousley dealt with) the person who posted
that message about sending version 3.85 to us.  In any event, I have the
most recent beta copy (14 Dec 88) from Ted Medin which supports the //c+
(latest "fix" so far as I know).

Ted says he's on the verge of sending version 3.85 to Columbia (as soon as
the docs are re-edited), if that happens, a copy on APPLE2-L would be
redundant.  After the first of the year, we'll check with Ted about the
official release date; if it's going to be more than a week or two, we'll
post a copy to APPLE2-L.

LOTS of Bitnet sites are running unattended this week, and a few will be
down over the weekend.  Unattended operation means that dropped netlinks
won't be restored until Tuesday morning.  Since Kermit's files are relatively
large, we'll have to wait until the holiday file backlogs clear (shouldn't
take longer than a day or two unless something unusual happens) before
letting APPLE2-L mail Kermit out.

Have a happy, and DESIGNATE A DRIVER (who can drink at home while watching
bowl games Monday)!!

                                     [The Far Side shall return (I hope)]
Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

"Close enough for government work" - source unknown (naturally ;-)

CCJOHN@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (John Meyer) (01/17/89)

I requested the files APP384.1 and APP384.2 from Kermsrv@CUVMA. Once I
received them on my CMS account, I downloaded them to an Apple 2e (enhanced).
Following the directions given in APPLE.DOCfrom Kermsrv, I renamed the files
KER384.1 a nd KER384.2 and issued the EXEC KER384.1,R25command. The
compilation seemed to work fine, I went thru the questions to it asked and set
it up for a IIGS. However, when I then rebooted Dos 3.3 and typed BRUN
KERMIT384, the progem started to load and then crashed out leaving the machine
with an * prompt. What went wrong and how can I fix it? This is for a user
here at UMC and our OLD copy of Kermit won't support the IIGS unless it has a
Super Serial Card. Thanks in advance...JOHN

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/19/89)

In article <8901171018.aa27959@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> CCJOHN@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (John Meyer) writes:
>it up for a IIGS. However, when I then rebooted Dos 3.3 and typed BRUN
>KERMIT384, the progem started to load and then crashed out leaving the machine

Unless the files got corrupted somehow during all the transfers,
I don't know what could be wrong.  I downloaded them to my IIGS,
followed the instructions, and the result worked just fine.

aash@ms.uky.edu (aashi deacon) (01/20/89)

I have only received 3 parts of kermit so far.
Is this correct?  I got the two binaries that were posted, then
the docs.  The numbers in the headers don't seem to confirm
that I have everything.

Thanks
--
aash
aash@ms.uky.edu  (archive at 128.163.128.6)

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (02/01/89)

Account of a Kermit construction:

(1) The four files APPLE2-L 89-00797,798,800, and 801 were requested
from LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BITNET.  By the next morning they had arrived at
the Vax cluster, having passed through 7 nodes.
(2) Using RECEIVE *, they were moved to my directory.  The file names
were then changed to APPL797.TXT through APPL801.TXT.  Using Kermit
on the Vax (default settings, server mode) and Kermit-65 v.3.84 (def=
text), they were downloaded with GET *.TXT onto a ProDOS formatted
3.5" disk on a IIgs.
(3) Each of the four files was next processed by running TEX on the IIgs,
telling it to strip linefeeds (control-J's).  This step was essential.
(4) Each file was then read with DOGPAW.  File 797 has directions on
how to reconstruct Kermit385, including mention of some things that can
go wrong.  Also using DOGPAW, the instruction manual (800) and list of
recent upgrades (801) was hardcopied to the printer.
(5) 797 was then renamed APP385.1 and 798 was renamed APP385.2.
(6) These two files were then copied onto a DOS 3.3-formatted disk with
COPYII+, v.8.2.  (v.6.4 worked equally well; FILER did not!)
(7) The DOS 3.3 disk was booted on the IIgs and the instruction FP was
given.  Next the instruction EXEC APP385.1,R25 was given.  In response
to the screen prompts, the selections of IIgs, emulate VT-100, 80-col
in slot 3, modem slot 2, and printer slot 1 were made.
(8) The IIgs tolerates but is not excessively fond of DOS 3.3, so the
final step was to use COPYII+ again to copy KERMIT385, KERMIT.INIT, and
KERMIT.HELP to a ProDOS-formatted 3.5" disk already containing PRODOS-8
v.1.4 and BASIC.SYSTEM v.1.1.  A STARTUP program was written as:
10 PRINT CHR$(4)"BRUN KERMIT385".  There is no point in copying the
installer program or the overlays, because the installer will not work
under ProDOS.
(9) Step 7 was repeated in order to create another version for an Apple
IIe with a Super Serial Card (different selections at the prompts.) This
required using a previously-made backup copy of the DOS 3.3 disk made in
step 6 above, since APP385.2 gets deleted each time 385.1 is EXECed.
(10) Both versions worked fine on the first try on their respective
machines, no muss, no fuss.

Bottom Line:  There are LOTS of different ways to get this done.  There
are alternatives to most of the steps above.  But the above procedure
DOES WORK.  If you are having problems, cookbook it.

Disclaimer:  I can't think of any.
P.Albro
ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET

>(7) The DOS 3.3 disk was booted on the IIgs and the instruction FP was
>given.  Next the instruction EXEC APP385.1,R25 was given.  In response
>to the screen prompts, the selections of IIgs, emulate VT-100, 80-col
>in slot 3, modem slot 2, and printer slot 1 were made.
>(8) The IIgs tolerates but is not excessively fond of DOS 3.3, so the
>final step was to use COPYII+ again to copy KERMIT385, KERMIT.INIT, and
>KERMIT.HELP to a ProDOS-formatted 3.5" disk already containing PRODOS-8
>v.1.4 and BASIC.SYSTEM v.1.1.  A STARTUP program was written as:
>10 PRINT CHR$(4)"BRUN KERMIT385".  There is no point in copying the
>installer program or the overlays, because the installer will not work
>under ProDOS.

Not so fast!! (see below)

>(9) Step 7 was repeated in order to create another version for an Apple
>IIe with a Super Serial Card (different selections at the prompts.) This
>required using a previously-made backup copy of the DOS 3.3 disk made in
>step 6 above, since APP385.2 gets deleted each time 385.1 is EXECed.

Not bad.  Two notes about step 9

1) You CAN change serial drivers in ProDOS if you're willing to go to
   a little trouble.  Copy the driver from the DOS 3.3 disk and edit off
   the EXECKER385.INSTALL,R1 and END lines at the bottom (the last 2 lines).

   BLOAD KERMIT385
   EXEC KER385.driver (for SSC it's KER385.SS)
   BSAVE KERMIT385,A$2000,L$6E00

2) You can use the DOS 3.3 disk that you made to create a 'B' file with
   a new driver in MUCH LESS TIME by simply EXEC KER385.INSTALL (that's
   what that file is for :-)  That is, you don't need either APP385.1 or
   APP385.2

3) SAVE!!!! that DOS 3.3 disk that you made and BRUN KERMIT385 to download
   the NEXT new version of Kermit that comes along (saving all the grief
   commonly associated witth step 6)!

**AN ASIDE**

A few weeks ago I got mail from someone lamenting that they had NOT saved
the DOS 3.3 copy of the Kermit version they were using and couldn't seem
to succeed in getting the Install to work when copied from ProDOS to DOS 3.3.

*solution!*  It works the other way, you know.  copy the KERMIT38x 'BIN' file
from ProDOS to any bootable DOS 3.3 disk and then boot that disk and
BRUN KERMIT38x (and use THAT to download a new version :-)))))

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (02/03/89)

This is a clarification of my previous clarification of.......
and hopefully the final clarification.

(1) Previously I referred to a line-feed as a CHR$(11).  It is, of
course, a CHR$(10).

(2) I think I have now done the definitive experiment.  I made a version
of Kermit-65 v.3.84 for the IIgs under DOS 3.3, and made a copy of it
with COPYII+ on a ProDOS disk with ProDOS-8 v.1.4, BASIC.SYSTEM v.1.1.
I then used the DOS 3.3 version to call our Vax cluster, on which I had
a text file known to contain cr,lf combinations (over 600 line feeds,
<ctrl>-J's).  I downloaded the file using Kermit-32 on the Vax, checking
that the default file type was set for ASCII at the Vax end, TEXT at the
Apple end.  The n I booted the ProDOS version of the identical Apple
Kermit and called the Vax again, downloading the same text file the same
way.

(3)  Upon checking the two downloads, I found that line feeds had been
removed in the DOS 3.3 copy, but retained in the ProDOS copy.  So
Kermit will automatically convert cr,lf combinations to cr under DOS
3.3, but not under ProDOS.  This must reflect the fact that a line feed
looks like $0A under ProDOS, but like $8A under DOS 3.3.  So this may
be why some people have trouble EXECing APPLE2-L downloads and others
don't.

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (02/04/89)

Are we the only site getting duplicates of articles? [Example below]

Article 7903 of comp.sys.apple:
From: ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
Subject: Kermit
Date: 31 Jan 89 20:55:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Account of a Kermit construction:

[TEXT deleted]

Article 7904 of comp.sys.apple:
From: ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
Date: 31 Jan 89 21:10:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Account of a Kermit construction:

[TEXT deleted]

Patt Haring                 {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!patth
                                          -or- uunet!dasys1!patth
                                          -or- patth@ccnysci.BITNET
Big Electric Cat Public Access Unix (212) 879-9031 - System Operator

>Are we the only site getting duplicates of articles? [Example below]

The occasional duplicate message is a result of a timing problem (apparently
random) at the gateways between BITNET and the Internet (one end thinks
it has ACKnowledged receipt of a message, but the other didn't get the
ACK and sends it again -- the first thinks it's the next message).

Marty Hoag at NDSUVM1 and Brint Cooper investigated the problem pretty
thoroughly a year or so ago and concluded little can be done about it.
All the gatemasters and powers that be are aware of it and hope it will
go away (or at least diminish) as hardware is upgraded.

In fact, I haven't noticed nearly as much duplication at there was in
1987; HOWEVER, we did get 5 (five) copies of that "account of a Kermit"
construction *sigh* :-(

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

MEDIN-T@SHARK.NOSC.MIL (Ted Medin) (02/07/89)

-- Begin Forwarded Mail --

Date: Mon, 06 Feb 89 10:45:49 PST
From: Ted Medin <MEDIN-T@SHARK.NOSC.MIL>
To: ALBRO%NIEHS.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Re: Kermit

-- Begin Original Message --

>(3)  Upon checking the two downloads, I found that line feeds had been
>removed in the DOS 3.3 copy, but retained in the ProDOS copy.  So
>Kermit will automatically convert cr,lf combinations to cr under DOS
>3.3, but not under ProDOS.  This must reflect the fact that a line feed
>looks like $0A under ProDOS, but like $8A under DOS 3.3.  So this may
>be why some people have trouble EXECing APPLE2-L downloads and others
>don't.

 Well this get curiouser and curiouser. I put an ascii file on our bsd 4.3
unix machine with each line terminated by a $d $a (cr,lf) and downloaded
to our //e+ runing prodos and kermit 3.85. When i down loaded using
3.85 file-format of text the $a's went away. Then i changed the
file-format to bin and downloaded the same file and the $a's remained. So 3.85
works properly on prodos and dos????????????
 Got any ideas?????????????

>-- End Original Message --

-- End Forwarded Mail --

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (02/07/89)

To Kris Tenbarge:

Please use a header so we know where to reply to.

To dial out using Kermit using a Hayes Compatible Modem, just
type:

ATDT phone# (hit return and wait)    or
ATDP phone# (hit return and wait).

ATDT is for touch-tone phones, ATDP is for Pulse dialing.
Pulse will work either way, but tone only works if the touch tone
phone codes are accepted by the local area.

That is, if you can use a touch tone phone in your area, you can use the
touch tone option.

There's probably even a switch on your modem to determine touch or pulse
dialing.  In which case set it as you like, and only ATD phone# would
be necessary.

The command A/ (no return)  will resubmit the last modem command,
which is useful for redialing the same number.

Any of these commands can be used when connected, but not actual linked
to another computer.

Any more questions, you can reach me at:

|    Michael J Pender Jr         snail mail: Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   |
|   Bitnet: greyelf@wpi.bitnet               100 Institute Rd.     |
| Internet: greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu              Worcester, Ma 01609   |
| User #20 at H.U.G.E. Bit Bucket                                  |
| Disclaimer:  Who me?  I was in Mexico buying drugs at the time!  |

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (02/13/89)

 Don't forget your escape character.

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (04/03/89)

The problems I was having with binscii are actually due to a flaw in
Proterm's Kermit transfer protocal.  Hence the fault is NOT binscii's
but it is serious.  I can upload files in binscii format, but unless
I am mistaken, no Laser user can download them?

Is this true?  I heard a report from one person who said he downloaded
hyperc to his Laser and got it working, what did you use for a modem
program?

If worst came to worst, a special Laser port driver could be written
for Kermit 3.85.

I'll await confirmation/denial.   Please post replies to the net, as
if support is strong, maybe the people at Central Point software
will relieve me of having to write a driver myself.
--
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        I wrote SHELL and Daemon,
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          send bug reports, suggestions,

People keep asking me if Shell or Daemon are compatible with the IIc, IIe.
YES, I wrote them on my Laser 128.  I mean, what would be the challenge to
multitasking on a IIgs?  I'll start writing dedicated gs programs when
somebody sends me one in the mail.

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (04/04/89)

For us Laser users (since we can`t use Kermit 65), and since
Proterm doesn't transfer binscii files right, is there any
other comm programs out there that do Kermit?

--

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (04/04/89)

In article <8904031858.AA25290@wpi>, GREYELF@WPI.BITNET writes:
> For us Laser users (since we can`t use Kermit 65), and since
> Proterm doesn't transfer binscii files right, is there any

> Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.

Actually ProTERM v2.1's Kermit transfer, is okay it does work.  On the
other hand if you are using ProTERM v2.0 it's kermit is very messed up.

If you can't use Kermit, try using xmodem/ymodem or something.  It is a
pain editing the linefeeds out but just use TEX or better yet Davex's tr
command.

The system i am using supports xmodem, yours probably does to.

Vince

demarco@CPSC.UCalgary.CA

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (04/04/89)

>I believe Kermit-65 will work on a Laser with current ROM's (serial port
>that supports interrupts).  Also, have you the current version of
>ProTerm?  I recall a message last week saying that bug has been fixed.

>Have you asked Ted Medin for info on Kermit's serial drivers (perhaps
>you could simply write one for Kermit-65 that works with your ROM set?)?

>Murph Sewall

Yes, Ted was one of the first people I talked to, then the people
at Central point, and I even took a peek at the source code
for the SSC driver, and I have asked about the newest version,
3.85 I believe.

No luck.

--
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        I wrote SHELL and Daemon,
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          send bug reports, suggestions,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.com  Worcester, Ma 01609        checks to me.

People keep asking me if Shell or Daemon are compatible with the IIc, IIe.
YES, I wrote them on my Laser 128.  I mean, what would be the challenge to
multitasking on a IIgs?  I'll start writing dedicated gs programs when
somebody sends me one in the mail.

>For us Laser users (since we can't use Kermit 65), and since
>Proterm doesn't transfer binscii files right, is there any
>other comm programs out there that do Kermit?

I believe Kermit-65 will work on a Laser with current ROM's (serial port
that supports interrupts).  Also, have you the current version of
ProTerm?  I recall a message last week saying that bug has been fixed.

Have you asked Ted Medin for info on Kermit's serial drivers (perhaps
you could simply write one for Kermit-65 that works with your ROM set?)?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

>Where is there an FTP site or other method to get the latest version of
>Kermit (hopefully a version that works in ProDOS) ?

FTP - cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, a VAX 8700 running UNIX (Ultrix).  The IP host number
is 128.59.40.130.  You may get files from it with anonymous FTP.  The Kermit
files are in directories kermit/a, kermit/b, kermit/c, kermit/d, and kermit/e.
You can also send mail to Info-Kermit and Info-Kermit-Request at this address.

The process is roughly like this: FTP to CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, login
anonymous (or ftp), any password (we prefer that you use "user@host" for the
password, specifying your userid and hostname, for our statistics), and then
CWD (or CD) to kermit, which contains a file read.me, which you should read.
Then CWD (or CD) to a, b, c, d, or e and GET or MULTIPLE GET (or MGET) the
files you want.  Note that file names are lowercase, and you must refer to
them that way on CUNIXC, even though all the Kermit documentation lists the
filenames in uppercase!

Since CUNIXC is a heavily-used machine, please try not to FTP files from it
during peak hours.  There are presently no formal restrictions, so please
don't overburden the system.  If the response is very slow, cancel your
session and try again later.

on BITNET - KERMSRV@CUVMA (note the spelling of KERMSRV <-- only one 'E')
            KERMSRV@UOFT02

SENDME APP385.1
SENDME APP385.2
SENDME APPLE.DOC

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

Kapffer@DMZRZU71.BITNET (Matthias Kapffer) (04/26/89)

>Where is there an FTP site or other method to get the latest version of
>Kermit (hopefully a version that works in ProDOS) ?

Besides the well-known FTP site cunix.cc.columbia.edu and the two KERMSRVs (at
CUVMA  and  UOFT02  on BITNET) there is another Kermit file server on BITNET -
the  LISTSERV@HEARN.   Since HEARN is the central EARN node of the Netherlands
it  serves  as  an  europian  peer to the KERMSRVs.  It is accessed with usual
LISTSERV  commands  so  INDEX  for example will send a *complete* index of all
files, GET filename filetype will send a specific file etc.

M a t t h i a s   K a p f f e r

mail :  Hermann Brill-Strasse 10
        D-6200 Wiesbaden
        West Germany
phone:  +49 6121 460854
email:  BITNET   : KAPFFER@DMZRZU71

MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) (05/16/89)

Can someone please mail me the apple version of Kermit. It turns out thats the
only way I can upload files and send them to the net.<{

     Thanx in Addvence...

Nathan Srebro     / Uri Srebro
Haifa, Israel     / Techniuon, Haifa, Israel

MAR21AA @ TECHNION.BITNET

krb20699@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU ("Make up something.") (08/01/89)

     The KERMIT385 file I sent Bob initialized for an RS-232 compatible modem
in slot 2.  This is the only setting that might prevent Kermit from working
correctly, at least I think so.  All the other settings have to do with
databits, etc..  Oops, there are two that might throw him off: keyboard
type setting, and the 80-col display.  I assumed the 80-col display would
be standard.  That was a mistake.
     I sent him the docs as a ShrinkIt archive of the AWP file.  If ShrinkIt
...cancel that.  It was a BLU archive.  If you can't unpack it, Bob, I'll
send the docs in text format.  I'll have to post it to comp.binaries.apple2,
as mail can't reach you from my site.
     If this doesn't work, I'll reset my KERMIT385 file to your EXACT specs,
and remail the disk.  It's my fault I didn't foresee the setting incompat-
ibility, and I can always spare a used 19 cent 5.25" disk. {=

     You can E-mail me directly, but I'll have to respond here.

						        Ken.
 						krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
						     {Internet}

CCJOHN@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (John Meyer) (09/02/89)

One of the students here at UMC has a Novation AppleCat internal 1200 bps
modem he wants to use with his 2+ and 2e. He tried configuring Kermit 3.84
without success. How should he set up Kermit so that it will work for him?
This university doesn't provide support for Apple 2's so there isn't anyone
around here who can help. Of course it's worse for Amiga, Tandy, and atari
owners but that's another story. Any help? JOHN

steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Gavin Steyn) (09/12/89)

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a kermit simulator for my modem.
If there is one in the public domain can someone send me a text version (i.e.
EXECable), as I can't download.
    Thank you,
Gavin Steyn
steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

On Mon, 11 Sep 89 23:01:58 GMT you said:
>Does anyone know where I can get hold of a kermit simulator for my modem.

'Emulator for your Apple' I assume.  Besides the archive at
KERMSRV@CUVMA.BITNET mentioned yestday (or the day before), the files
are available by anonymous 'ftp' from cunixc.cc.Columbia.Edu.  The instructions
have been posted before (FREQUENTLY), so if you need details email me.

You'll need to 'capture' about 56K characters in order to get the EXECable
version onto an Apple (DOS 3.3) disk (the 'B' file can be copied to ProDOS
after it's created).

Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

gt0t+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Gregory Ross Thompson) (09/14/89)

  Where could a poor soul like me acquire this Kermit program?

        -Greg T.

doug@psuhcx.psu.edu (Doug Hughes) (01/09/90)

where can I find the prodos version of kermit 3.86? I had the information
around somewhere and in the process of cleaning, I seem to have lost it.
*sniff*. So, could someone please tell me where I can get it? I remember
the file was called appprobns or something.. help!?
	doug@psuhcx.bitnet
	doug@hcx.psu.edu
	psuvax1!psuhcx!doug

ST6934@SIUCVMB.BITNET (03/14/90)

Hi to all you Apple users.  Can anyone out there help a newcomer with a
problem about Kermit?  I currently use version 3.85.
1. has anyone had any luck downloading under a VM/XA operating system?
2. I downloaded the files for version 3.86 as a textfile but a friend
of mine says that APPPRO and APPICON could not be unbinsciied.  What
is the proper method for unpacking these files?
I think you all are doing an admirable job of keeping alive the Apple
spirit.
You can send me EMail at st6934@siucvmb or maybe the whole group can
benefit from this information.
- FREEDOM? That is a worship word! You must not SPEAK it!!