[comp.sys.apple] CDA Problems

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (03/09/90)

  I'm trying to write a rather simple CDA using Orca/Pascal and am running
into problems which I believe are being caused by bugs in Orca.
  I have set it up so that I should be able to debug it either under the
Shell or the Desktop and then simply put in the compiler directive to
create a CDA file--{$ClassicDesk 'filename' Start ShutDown} and then
change the filetype after compilation.
  The program runs under the shell and also independently under GS/OS as
a S16 file, but when I move a CDA file into the DESK.ACCS folder, reboot
and try to run the CDA, it immediately bombs.
  I've also found that I get linkage errors without apparent reason.  I
will run the file, get a linkage error, then rerun it and have it link
without a problem.  It also works the other way--it will link, run OK,
and then I'll try to recompile (without any changes) and get linkage
errors again.  (All are during the 2nd pass.)
  Is it me or is it Orca?
  I'm using the latest version of everything in Orca, along with
System 5.0.2.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  |
University of Connecticut  | Compu$erve  71545,1500
32 Hillside Avenue         | GEnie       ah.stein
Waterbury, CT 06710        | SNET        (203) 757-1231

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (03/15/90)

> ORCA/Pascal CDA problems.

It's ORCA, not you. Code that works perfectly fine doesn't work when
recompiled in the recommended fashion for creating a CDA. Mike Westerfield,
the author, does have a workaround ... something to do with memory management
if I recall correctly.

The real mystery is why ORCA/Pascal still has that bug. I reported it over two
years ago, as I'm sure uncounted others have done. Methinks Byte Works has its
hands full trying to juggle all their languages, new products, planned
products, and necessary system software changes.

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy          | AOL: JOEA17
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy@nosc.mil | Clever comment
INET: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com        | goes here.