[comp.sys.apple] Copy II+ v9.0

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (11/27/89)

Just got some Lit in the mail this weekend from Central Point for version
9.0 of Copy II+.  they want $18 for the upgrade.  No where in the flyer do
they say if it can handle resource files.  anyone know?  If not, I'm not
sure the $18 is worth it.

/chris

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (11/28/89)

In article <1101@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:

>Just got some Lit in the mail this weekend from Central Point for version
>9.0 of Copy II+.  they want $18 for the upgrade.  No where in the flyer do
>they say if it can handle resource files.  anyone know?  If not, I'm not
>sure the $18 is worth it.

>/chris

>=============================================================================
>|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
>|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
>|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |
>=============================================================================

 As beta testers for the soon to be released Copy II+ 9.0, I can tell you
 that it is still an 8 bit program, and there is NO 8 bit program that is
 going to be able to handle resource files.. If that is the only thing you
 are looking for, then the upgrade is not for you..

 There are several new features in the upgrade however, which I would think
 they have announced in whatever mailing you got from them.

--
    bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL: BSHERMAN
>>  Miami's Big Apple - 305-948-8000 - 24 hours - 300/1200 - PCP'able  <<
>>  Oldest Apple support board in Southeast. Now in it's ninth year.   <<

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/28/89)

     I bought ver 8.3 awhile ago, and I haven't received any update info
since.  Yes, I did send in the registration card.  Anyone else have this
problem?  I'm interested in v9.0, but the company doesn't seem to be
interested in me.  Any ideas?

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

blochowi@rt9.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (11/29/89)

In article <1152@umigw.MIAMI.EDU> bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:
>In article <1101@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>> [Ponders whether C][+ 9.0 will handle forked files, and if not, is v9.0
>>  the $18 Central Point is asking for the upgrade]
> As beta testers for the soon to be released Copy II+ 9.0, I can tell you
> that it is still an 8 bit program, and there is NO 8 bit program that is
> going to be able to handle resource files.. If that is the only thing you
> are looking for, then the upgrade is not for you..

	It would seem that that statement is just a wee bit strong... Although
ProDOS 8 will probably never support forked files, it's entirely possible
for an 8 bit program to do so. As an example, C][+ itself (last time I checked)
could deal with DOS 3.3 disks, and ProDOS 8 certainly doesn't include support
for that file system... It's not as if 1) Forked files are really weird or
2) The ProDOS filesystem is really weird or 3) There haven't been any
programs that muck about with the filesystem directly.

> There are several new features in the upgrade however, which I would think
> they have announced in whatever mailing you got from them.

	Well then, how about, for the benifit of those that don't own the
program but are thinking about buying it (or those that bought it, but
somehow managed to never hear from Central Point), you mention a few of
those features? It would seem that they're "announced" and that mentioning
them here wouldn't be a problem...

>    bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL: BSHERMAN

--
      Jason Blochowiak - blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.uucp
       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Sapirstein

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (11/29/89)

In article <113300185@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
-     I bought ver 8.3 awhile ago, and I haven't received any update info
-since.  Yes, I did send in the registration card.  Anyone else have this
-problem?  I'm interested in v9.0, but the company doesn't seem to be
-interested in me.  Any ideas?

Have patience.  I just got my update blurb.

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (11/29/89)

)From: blochowi@rt9.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak)
)Subject: Re: Copy II+ V9.0
)Sender: news@puff.cs.wisc.edu

)In article <1152@umigw.MIAMI.EDU> bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob
Sherman)
)In article <1101@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara)

[Ponders whether C][+ 9.0 will handle forked files, and if not, is v9.0
>>  the $18 Central Point is asking for the upgrade]
)> As beta testers for the soon to be released Copy II+ 9.0, I can tell you
)> that it is still an 8 bit program, and there is NO 8 bit program that is
)> going to be able to handle resource files.. If that is the only thing you
)> are looking for, then the upgrade is not for you..

)        It would seem that that statement is just a wee bit strong...
Although
)ProDOS 8 will probably never support forked files, it's entirely possible
)for an 8 bit program to do so. As an example, C][+ itself (last time I
checked)
)could deal with DOS 3.3 disks, and ProDOS 8 certainly doesn't include
support
)for that file system... It's not as if 1) Forked files are really weird or
)2) The ProDOS filesystem is really weird or 3) There haven't been any
)programs that muck about with the filesystem directly.

)> There are several new features in the upgrade however, which I would
think
)> they have announced in whatever mailing you got from them.

)        Well then, how about, for the benifit of those that don't own the
)program but are thinking about buying it (or those that bought it, but
)somehow managed to never hear from Central Point), you mention a few of
)those features? It would seem that they're "announced" and that mentioning
)them here wouldn't be a problem...

)>    bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL:
BSHERMAN

)      Jason Blochowiak - blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.uucp

I will stand by my previous statement (regardless of how "strong" you may
feel
it is, of course I am always ready for you to PROVE me wrong) regarding the
ability of an 8 bit program to properly handle 16 bit resource files, based
upon my information of the subject, and the statements made here from time
time by the DTS folks who know a heck of a lot more about it than I do..

While I was trying to be helpful and answer the direct question about the
revised programs ability or lack of ability to handle resource forks, I do
not
see it my place as a beta tester for the product to hype or promote or knock
(if that be the case) the unmarketed product for the company.

Now that you are aware of the fact that a new version is being made
available,
my suggestion would be to contact Central Point Software at 503-690-8090,
and
ask them to send you some details of the new product, and if you have in
fact
purchased the program, and have not heard from them, this would be the ideal
time for you to contact them, and make sure that the serial number on the
program you bought is in fact on their registration list, with your correct
mailing information, so that you can qualify for an upgrade. At least that's
what I would to if it applied to me.

--

blochowi@rt9.csdwisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (11/29/89)

In article <1152@umigw.MIAMI.EDU> bsherman@mthvax.csdmiami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:
>In article <1101@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>> [Ponders whether C][+ 9.0 will handle forked files, and if not, is v9.0
>>  the $18 Central Point is asking for the upgrade]
> As beta testers for the soon to be released Copy II+ 9.0, I can tell you
> out tit is still an 8 bit program, and there is NO 8 bit program that is
> going to be able to handle resource files.. If that is the only thing you
> are looking for, then the upgrade is not for you..

	It would seem that that statement is just a wee bit strong... Although
ProDOS 8 will probably never support forked files, it's entarely possible
for an 8 bit program to do so. As an example, C][+ itself (last time I checked)
could deal with DOS 3.3 disks, and ProDOS 8 certainly doesn't include support
for that file system... It's not as if 1) Forked files are really weird or
2) The ProDOS filesystem is really weird or 3) There haven't been any
programs that muck about with the filesystem directly.

> There are several new features in the upgrade however, which I would think
> they have announced in whatever mailing you got from them.

	Well then, how about, for the benifit of those that don't own the
program but are thinking about buying it (or those that bought it, but
somehow manahind to never hear from Central Point), you mention a few of

--
      Jason Blochowiak - blochowi@garfield.csdwisc.edu or jason@madnix.uucp
       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Sapirstein

bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) (11/29/89)

From article <1101@mountn.dec.com>, by shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara):
> Copy ][+ 9.0 - No where in the flyer do they say if it can
> handle resource files.  anyone know?  If not, I'm not sure the
> $18 is worth it.

It does NOT copy resource files and it isn't clear if it ever
will. The best way to assure that it does is to make your concerns
known to Central Point Software.

What it does do is give you a ProDOS error $4? (A/B I think). The
funny part is that just before the error number comes on the
screen, the phrase "Resource File" is there for an instant. I
asked them why they couldn't give the phrase and error
number. Don't know if they implemented it.

The good news about all this is that Copy ][+ 9.0 won't screw up a
resource file by trying to copy it. And because resource files are
showing up in more and more places, that is something to worry
about with your older versions of your copy programs.
--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IH 2A-227 (312) 713-5356

adreier@pro-tcc.cts.com (Andrew Dreier) (03/05/90)

I recently read in the March, 1990 NAUG newsletter that the early releases of
Copy II+ v9.0 had some "bugs" in it.  The affected disk are the ones with the
file UTIL.SYSTEM dated Dec. 21, 1989 or earlier.  The article continued to say
any of these disk would be replaced free of charge by Central Point Software.

My question is what are these bugs?  Also do you have to send in your original
disk to receive the replacement?

maton@herald.usask.ca (Terry Maton) (03/07/90)

In article <139.feeds.info-apple@pro-tcc> adreier@pro-tcc.cts.com (Andrew Dreier) writes:
>I recently read in the March, 1990 NAUG newsletter that the early releases of
>Copy II+ v9.0 had some "bugs" in it.  The affected disk are the ones with the
>file UTIL.SYSTEM dated Dec. 21, 1989 or earlier.  The article continued to say
>any of these disk would be replaced free of charge by Central Point Software.
>
>My question is what are these bugs?  Also do you have to send in your original
>disk to receive the replacement?

	There were several bugs, incl problems with the 'sort catalog' utility
	and others which caused strange things to happen (esp. with Laser 128
	computers).

	No you don't have to send your original disk. I just phoned them, gave
	them my customer number, and the date of the UTIL.SYSTEM file, and
	they sent me a new copy FREE of charge.

	Another good point is that the revised 5.25 disk has only ONE file
	one the back for the parameters, instead of the silly TWO they had
	originally!

	Terry

Terry Maton, U of Saskatchewan  | "I...  I wanted to be...   A LUMBERJACK!"
Saskatoon, Canada               | "Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
BITNET:  MATON@SASK             |  I sleep all night and I work all day."
UUCP:    maton@herald.USask.ca  |                                  Monty Python

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey) (03/08/90)

> I recently read in the March, 1990 NAUG newsletter that the early releases of
> Copy II+ v9.0 had some "bugs" in it.  The affected disk are the ones with the
> file UTIL.SYSTEM dated Dec. 21, 1989 or earlier.  The article continued to say
> any of these disk would be replaced free of charge by Central Point Software.
>
> My question is what are these bugs?  Also do you have to send in your original
> disk to receive the replacement?
One of the bugs is the number of subdirectories the program can create within
one subdirectory.  I has occasion to add about 25 subdirectories to a
subdirectory and found that after about the first 10, the program did
something which made it such that other programs wouldn't recognize the
subdirectories after the first 10 or so.
I don't know what the other bugs are and I'm not sure this one was corrected.
You don't need to send in your original disk if they have your name on file as
a registered owner.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0415

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (03/15/90)

> I recently read .. that Copy II+ v9.0 had some "bugs".

Well, one "bug" that may concern you is that while it is advertised as being
GS/OS compatible, it will stomp all over GS/OS disks -- including your
hard drive -- the first time you write to such a disk with it.

That number again: Keep Copy II Plus away from your hard drive and any other
IIGS disks which you may value.

Completing the day's bug roundup, somebody was asking after a problem with TML
Pascal II, or a program they'd written using it. The problem here is almost
certainly with the compiler -- I made a three-page list of just those TML bugs
that cause a fatal system crash. Yet another product update brought to you by
the fine members of Asleep at the Wheel.

Give me Macintosh/IBM/Amiga/C64/Apple/Atari/Nintendo/Mr.Coffee
cross-compilers, or give me death. What a bunch of goons.

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy          | AOL: JOEA17
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy@nosc.mil | Clever comment
INET: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com        | goes here.