[comp.sys.apple] NuPak 2.0

macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (03/12/90)

>This newest version of NuPak 2.0 is really interesting.  I spent some time
>with it last night, and I was *amazed*.  It REALLY unpacks Mac "stuffit"
>packed files.  Yep, really.
>
>Lynda
I don't think I've ever heard of NuPak.  Where is it available?  It sounds
like an extremely useful utility.
--
/* Robert MacAusland -> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca */

dhom@spica.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (03/12/90)

In article <90Mar11.192916est.57409@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:
>>This newest version of NuPak 2.0 is really interesting.  I spent some time
>>with it last night, and I was *amazed*.  It REALLY unpacks Mac "stuffit"
>>packed files.  Yep, really.
>>
>>Lynda
>I don't think I've ever heard of NuPak.  Where is it available?  It sounds
>like an extremely useful utility.
>--
>/* Robert MacAusland -> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca */

Here is a press release talking about NuPak 2.0.  BTW,  I mentioned
to Joshua (the author) that Binscii and Binhex support would be
great and he said he'd look into it.

Dave
dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu
------------

                           Frontier Technologies
                       Breaks the Macintosh Barrier

GROSSE ILE, Mich., February 27, 1990- Frontier Technologies takes
unpacking technology to new heights with their resource fork packing
program NuPak IIgs v2.0. This version now, while still allowing the
user to pack files with resource forks, unpacks Macintosh Stuffit
Archives with ease. Never before have IIgs users been able to directly
access Macintosh archives so easily.

Several new features of NuPak IIgs v2.0 are a preferences menu, the
ability to select packing/unpacking devices from a menu, and splitting
of Stuffit archived files into resource and data forks.

"This new version will forever change the face of communication packing
utilities," said Steven Yuhasz, president of Frontier Technologies.
"It just goes to show that the Macintosh is not as far away as most
people believe. I hope that this will futher close the gap between
the IIgs and the Macintosh line. For years I've seen interesting text
files in Stuffit format and wished I could unpack on the IIgs to view
it. Now all people have that ability. I am proud that Frontier
Technologies is the first to offer Stuffit archive support on the IIgs
in a new and improved version of NuPak IIgs. Frontier Technologies is
committed to giving people the best of both worlds."

 When used in combination with a program called Resource Spy, Icons,
Fonts, and sound files can be extracted from Macintosh resource forks
and utiltizied by such programs as Diced and Sound Studio.

Additional features incorporated into NuPak IIgs v2.0 include greater
disk access speed and compatibility with GS/OS 5.0.2.

NuPak IIgs still does not support compression routines in the
packing of archives as of yet, but the next revision may support dynamic
LZW and Huffman compression routines as well as compatibility with some
 older Apple II packing/unpacking utilities.

In the past, files with resource forks could only be archived by
packing a whole disk at once. Now files such as CDEVS
(i.e. Control Panel NDA) and NuPak IIgs can be packed in single files
saving disk space and much frustration. NuPak IIgs is still the only
program that packs files with resource forks  and supports unpacking of Macintosh Stuffit archives on the IIgs. In the event of the release of
a Macintosh FST, NuPak IIgs will be to directly unpack Stuffit archives
from Macintosh Disks.

NuPak IIgs 2.0 supports all of the popular unpacking formats such as
NuFX, BLU, ACU and SIT or Macintosh Stuffit. In addition to that, it will
unpack ShrinkIT archives in both disk and file format.It also supports
unpacking of 5.25 disks as well as the Apple IIgs 3.5 inch standard.
This program is fully compatible with industry standards and programs
currently in use. NuPak IIgs is easy to use since it follows the human interface guidlines set by Apple Computer.

NuPak IIgs 2.0 is availiable now on America On-line in the IIgs
Utilities Section and on several bulletin board systems across the
country. Best of all, this program is still in the Shareware Tradition.
So, if the program is found to be unsatisfactory, there is no money
spent. NuPak IIgs can be had for the Shareware fee of $15 after 2 weeks
of use. For more information, contact Frontier Technologies on this
service at screen name Frontier T. or at  Frontier Technologies P.O.
Box 165 Grosse Ile, MI. 48138-2009.

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca (Grant Delaney) (03/12/90)

This is like taking the work of other's and trying to make a buck on it.  All
the work on shrinkit (which this is obviously based on) has been done by
Andy.  Let use not forget the problems that ANDY went through to
start to go for a comercial product with L & L.  The only thing you appear
to be getting it stuffit.  My suggestion is send the money to Andy he did
most of the work anyway.  Remember the Great Flap before!!!

Grant Delaney

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (03/13/90)

In article <104*delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca> delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca (Grant Delaney) writes:
>This is like taking the work of other's and trying to make a buck on it.  All
>the work on shrinkit (which this is obviously based on) has been done by
>Andy.  Let use not forget the problems that ANDY went through to
>start to go for a comercial product with L & L.  The only thing you appear
>to be getting it stuffit.  My suggestion is send the money to Andy he did
>most of the work anyway.  Remember the Great Flap before!!!
>
>Grant Delaney

This NuPak thing looks like a really bad deal...
Andy has been working very hard on ShrinkIt 3.0, and GS/ShrinkIt....
this competition might be enough to make Andy stop his work.  It's a bad
feeling in business when a competitor beats you out with a product, but
this is even worse since Andy has been doing it for FREE!

I just hope this NuPak doesn't steal any of Andy's code...that would be
really lame.

			Kent Dickey
kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (03/13/90)

In article <14458@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) writes:
>This NuPak thing looks like a really bad deal...

Indeed it does.  It doesn't even support the classic IIs!  ProDOS 8 may not
know what to do with resource forks and such, but I think the ability to read
StuffIt and BinHex on the II on the II could be useful; sometimes I port stuff
between the IIe in my dorm room and the SE/30s downstairs.  Andy Nicholas, on
the other hand, has busted his ass to make ShrinkIt usable on as little as a
64K II Plus!  I really appreciate the efforts of people who like to keep the
older machines plugging along.  (As for me, I have a 128K enhanced IIe.)

>Andy has been working very hard on ShrinkIt 3.0, and GS/ShrinkIt....
>this competition might be enough to make Andy stop his work.  It's a bad
>feeling in business when a competitor beats you out with a product, but
>this is even worse since Andy has been doing it for FREE!

Indeed it may very well have that effect.  Why would I write a program if I
knew I could get it from someone else?  ShrinkIt is copyrighted, right?  If it
is ever discovered that NuPak uses any ShrinkIt code, I hope Andy registered
his ShrinkIt copyright and can raise the money for a lawyer to take the NuPak
folks to court.  (Yeah, right--pay for a lawyer on the pittance your folks
send from home! :-) )

>I just hope this NuPak doesn't steal any of Andy's code...that would be
>really lame.

'Nuff said.

One last note.  There's a UNIX clone out called GNU.  (BTW, GNU is one of those
three-letter acronyms they speak of in rec.humor--it means "GNU's Not UNIX" :-)
Anyway, whenever one of the guys responsible for GNU comes on the net, his .sig
always says "Support Free Software."  I think we should all do that.  If you
get hold of a copy of NuPak, don't send in your shareware fee.  If you haven't
gotten a copy, don't bother.  I'm sure someone else (you listening, Andy?) is
bright enough to give us BinHex and StuffIt some other way, should there be a
need for it.  (You can always live without, of course, and send uncompressed
files!)

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_  Apple II: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

ccasts2@prism.gatech.EDU (Sheldon Simms) (03/13/90)

In article <1990Mar12.202529.12084@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) writes:

>Anyway, whenever one of the guys responsible for GNU comes on the net, his .sig
>always says "Support Free Software."  I think we should all do that.  If you
>get hold of a copy of NuPak, don't send in your shareware fee.  If you haven't
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NuPak is NOT free software. If you use any shareware program and don't send
in your shareware fee, you are STEALING the program. The GNU people don't
mean for you to not pay for software that you should pay for. They mean for
you to use and write free software. Shareware is not free software.

Sheldon Simms
ccasts2@prism.gatech.edu

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/13/90)

In article <104*delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca>, delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca (Grant Delaney) writes:

> This is like taking the work of other's and trying to make a buck on it.  All
> the work on shrinkit (which this is obviously based on) has been done by
> Andy.  Let use not forget the problems that ANDY went through to
> start to go for a comercial product with L & L.  The only thing you appear
> to be getting it stuffit.  My suggestion is send the money to Andy he did
> most of the work anyway.  Remember the Great Flap before!!!

I wasn't going to say this before, but could we just let this thing go?
This basically just drags up a lot of fairly painful memories that I could just
as soon do without.  We've resolved this once before... I don't know what the
legal status of Andy and Kent's code is (free, public domain, copyrighted,
what?), but I don't think they would object to having Joshua put it into
NuPak.  Besides, supposedly Joshua is starting to rewrite a large part of
it in assembler anyway.

The thing which confuses the life out of me, though, is that gs/shrinkit
will do everything NuPak will do (and much more) and do it faster and in
most cases much more cleanly, and it'll do it for free.  Why are these guys
BOTHERING to write NuPak?  I mean, sheesh, Josh is dependant on Kent and
Andy to make sure that he can pack files... I'd much rather see someone
as bright and energetic as Joshua doing something that he can make a great
contribution with.. well, sure, unstuffing is important, and it's not
like I feel I have "competition" (how can I?  shrinkit is free...), it's
just that I think Joshua could do SO MUCH BETTER if he would work on
something which needs working on, ya know?  You know, like Excel/GS, Wingz/GS,
or something like that... oh well, at least these Frontier Tech guys keep
me on my toes.  I kept having to check the files that it produced to make
sure that they were standard NuFX files and nothign strange was going on.

Joshua Thompson, the author of NuPak basically took Andy McFadden and Kent
Dickey's C code and made a program with a nice user-interface.  Then he
took the ARC (or compress, both will work) C source and added that to get it
to unstuff stuffit files.  It's really not that hard if you have a working
C compiler... it's harder to do in assembler.. which is what I did in
gs/shrinkit.  That was one of the 'big secrets'... gs/shrinkit unstuffs
stuffit files.  There are a few 'other secrets' as well, but could we just
stop this 'trying to make a buck off of so-and-so's code talk?

See, even Raymond Lau, the author of Stuffit "cheated" - the source code
which he used for Stuffing files came either from unix compress or from
ARC.  So much so, that the little idosyncracies that make unix COMPRESS
what it is STILL exist in StuffIt 1.5.1 to this very day.  The unix compress
sources were public domain, Ray used them (or ARC, I don't know which).  Ray
made a great product.  Ray is now selling stuff based on that product.  What
I'd kinda like to know, however, is how Ray can get away with selling Stuffit
Deluxe which unZIPs ZIP files when the only unzipping code which is available
for public use is the stuff by samuel smith (might have gotten that name wrong)
which strictly prohibits commercial redistribution of his C code.  Who knows,
Ray might have gotten permission or wrote it himself...???  (I don't want
to impugn Ray Lau, I respect the guy a whole lot).

I feel that archive utilities that are going to be used by everyone and his
brother should be free.  They contribute to the II user's sense of community.
Anything that not everyone NEEDS (like, say, a backup program based on shrinkit
or a terminal program which has an 'auto-extract' feature), I think is pretty fair game for commercial or shareware stuff...  although I despise shareware.

Right now, I need to write the segmented memory management routines so that
gs/shrinkit won't go doing mindnumbingly stupid things like trying to
allocate _MaxBlock to do stuff.  You can use a fragmented memory situation
better with my stuff... actually, some to think of it, this is one of
the last major things I need to do before gs/shrinkit is almost done.  Gee,
think about that... finished... I thought I'd never hear that word...

> Grant Delaney

andy

--

Yeah!

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/13/90)

In article <14458@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) writes:

>>This is like taking the work of other's and trying to make a buck on it.  All
>>the work on shrinkit (which this is obviously based on) has been done by
>>Andy.  Let use not forget the problems that ANDY went through to
>>start to go for a comercial product with L & L.  The only thing you appear
>>to be getting it stuffit.  My suggestion is send the money to Andy he did
>>most of the work anyway.  Remember the Great Flap before!!!

... and zoom! ... off we went...

> This NuPak thing looks like a really bad deal...

Not really.. Joshua seemes to have spent at least 4-5 months writing it.  He
uses C, so he technically has an unfair advantage because I'm writing
everything in assembler, but then again, my stuff is faster.

> Andy has been working very hard on ShrinkIt 3.0, and GS/ShrinkIt....

Yes.  That's definitely true.  :-)

> this competition might be enough to make Andy stop his work.  It's a bad
> feeling in business when a competitor beats you out with a product, but
> this is even worse since Andy has been doing it for FREE!

Not really... I don't "need" the money to survive (I will need money once
I graduate, but that's what "real jobs" are for).  At this point, I just
want to get gs/shrinkit FINISHED and out the door.  I've worked so hard
on it for so long that after a while it starts to become unbearable.  At
least ShrinkIt 3.0 is going out... (hooooo ray)

> I just hope this NuPak doesn't steal any of Andy's code...that would be
> really lame.

No, actually Kent, he's using your C code... Andy McFadden's NuLIB code.

Well, even if Joshua had dissassembled all of shrinkit and had used the
standard decoder (because nupak 2.0 is FAR faster than nupak 1.0 in
unpacking), there wouldn't be any way that I could prove it and it's not
worth pursuing anyway since shrinkit and gs/shrinkit are free programs.  I
just hope that Joshua doesn't start encoding files in some non-standard
format that gs/shrinkit can't decode... that would confuse a whole lot
of people... and *REALLY* annoy me.

>Kent Dickey

andy

--

Yeah!

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/13/90)

In article <1990Mar12.202529.12084@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) writes:

>>This NuPak thing looks like a really bad deal...
>
> Indeed it does.  It doesn't even support the classic IIs!  ProDOS 8 may not
> know what to do with resource forks and such, but I think the ability to read
> StuffIt and BinHex on the II on the II could be useful; sometimes I port stuff
> between the IIe in my dorm room and the SE/30s downstairs.  Andy Nicholas, on
> the other hand, has busted his ass to make ShrinkIt usable on as little as a
> 64K II Plus!  I really appreciate the efforts of people who like to keep the
> older machines plugging along.  (As for me, I have a 128K enhanced IIe.)

Nupak is a shrinkit compatible archiving program (so far).  Anything you create
with nupak should be able to be extracted with gs/shrinkit.  I don't really
mind this at all.. although the situation could get markedly worse if joshua
decides to start doing stuff "his own way" and puts archives into strange
formats which no one can read... after all, that's why I wrote the NuFX
documentation, so people could freely use the format.  I just hope no one
abuses that format, though.

If anyone wants a copy of the latest NuFX docs, send me a letter and an
address... I have to xerox it out of the call -apple article I did.  That's
the current documentation as far as anyone else is concerned.  I'll be
sending Apple the updated stuff for that article sometime... well, soon. :)

> Indeed it may very well have that effect.  Why would I write a program if I
> knew I could get it from someone else?  ShrinkIt is copyrighted, right?  If it
> is ever discovered that NuPak uses any ShrinkIt code, I hope Andy registered
> his ShrinkIt copyright and can raise the money for a lawyer to take the NuPak
> folks to court.  (Yeah, right--pay for a lawyer on the pittance your folks
> send from home! :-) )

Actually, I did formally copyright shrinkit... the registration number
is something like TXu 393-996.

Suing rarely accomplishes anything but feeding lawyers and sapping your energy.
I would far prefer to just move on and write something else.

> get hold of a copy of NuPak, don't send in your shareware fee.  If you haven't
> gotten a copy, don't bother.  I'm sure someone else (you listening, Andy?) is
> bright enough to give us BinHex and StuffIt some other way, should there be a
> need for it.  (You can always live without, of course, and send uncompressed
> files!)

Well, actually, yes... gs/shrinkit currently supports unstuffing...  The
decoder is written in assembler and are rather quick when decoding... the
unstuffing requires an extra 64k available and I'm currently trying to get the
unstuffing to work in a 768k machine (unshrinking does, but not unstuffing...
too little memory). I wrote the dehuffing routines in assembler also.  they
were a real trip to write.

Wouldn't a standalone unbinhex utility be better right now than something
bundled into shrinkit?

And, if any of you turkeys think for one blasted moment that after all this
work I'm going to sit here and throw in the towel, y'all have another
thing coming.

andy

--

Yeah!

danield@pro-grouch.cts.com (Daniel Davidson) (03/14/90)

>>always says "Support Free Software."  I think we should all do that.  If you
>>get hold of a copy of NuPak, don't send in your shareware fee.  If you
>>haven't
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>NuPak is NOT free software. If you use any shareware program and don't send
>in your shareware fee, you are STEALING the program. The GNU people don't

Calm down a sec, and read the original message again. The original message was
sugesting that people *NOT* use  the Shareware Program, and just wait for
ShrinkIt 3.0 what is suposed to be *FREE*. Scott Alfter (the orginal poster)
was not sugesting that people steal the Shareware program, but that they wait
for the free program.

Daniel
BITNET : danield%pro-grouch.cts.com@nosc.mil  | ProLine: danield@pro-grouch
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-grouch!danield         | INET:danield@pro-grouch.cts.com
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-grouch!danield@nosc.mil| All opinions here in are MINE!!

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (03/14/90)

In article <1990Mar12.202529.12084@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) writes:
>In article <14458@phoenix.Princeton> (Kent Dickey) writes:
>>This NuPak thing looks like a really bad deal...
>
>Indeed it does.  It doesn't even support the classic IIs!  ProDOS 8 may not
[slurp]

>>Andy has been working very hard on ShrinkIt 3.0, and GS/ShrinkIt....
>>this competition might be enough to make Andy stop his work.  It's a bad
>>feeling in business when a competitor beats you out with a product, but
>>this is even worse since Andy has been doing it for FREE!
[slurp]

Ya know, the moment I saw of that, I thought of the Unix program called
Unsit that lets you unstuff Stuffit archives on unixy systems.  Although
I haven't done it yet, it might be real interesting to port the code
over to APW C (or whatever) and make it work.

<heh heh heh...>

[slurp]
>                                                                      If you
>get hold of a copy of NuPak, don't send in your shareware fee.  If you haven't
>gotten a copy, don't bother.

Uhm.. if you're gonna do this, remember to not use it.  You're legally bound
to send the shareware fee in if you use the program.

> I'm sure someone else (you listening, Andy?) is
>bright enough to give us BinHex and StuffIt some other way, should there be a
>need for it.  (You can always live without, of course, and send uncompressed
>files!)

Well, the hard (?) part is done; there are already C versions of the above
two, all they need is porting over.  (I'll get to this eventually, if no one
beats me to it.  It be a good excuse to learn C, anyway. :)

>Scott Alfter

--Chan
    Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <!> I don't speak for SRI.
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
  "And now, the penguin on top of the television set will explode."

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (03/14/90)

  I don't know why you people are complaining about NuPak. If people want to
use it they will, but we all know that Shrinkit works, and does its job well.
I am going to get NuPak to see what its like, and see if I can unpack some
Stuffit files. That does not mean I am going to stop using Shrinkit.

Robert Brown

Apple // the golden age.

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (03/15/90)

In article <1206@batman.moravian.EDU> nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) writes:
>In article <104*delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca>, delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca (Grant Delaney) writes:
>> This is like taking the work of other's and trying to make a buck on it.  All
[snip]

It's beginning to look that way.

>I wasn't going to say this before, but could we just let this thing go?

Not yet.

>This basically just drags up a lot of fairly painful memories that I could just
>as soon do without.  We've resolved this once before... I don't know what the
>legal status of Andy and Kent's code is (free, public domain, copyrighted,
>what?), but I don't think they would object to having Joshua put it into
>NuPak.

NuLib is a copyrighted, Freeware product.  The compression code is
copyrighted by Kent, the rest by me.  The copyright appears on both
the product help screens and in EVERY source file.

I wouldn't object to somebody using it if somebody would ask me about it
first.  This is the first I've heard of it...

>        Besides, supposedly Joshua is starting to rewrite a large part of
>it in assembler anyway.

...in which case I would have no right to complain.  But for the moment,
it looks like I do.

>> Grant Delaney
>
>andy

Does "Joshua" have an internet address (or a full name)?  Don't send any
money around until I figure out what's going on...

(I don't have the best memory, but I don't remember talking to anybody
 named Joshua about using NuLib code...  wait and see).

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/15/90)

In article <23054@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) writes:

> NuLib is a copyrighted, Freeware product.  The compression code is
> copyrighted by Kent, the rest by me.  The copyright appears on both
> the product help screens and in EVERY source file.
>
> I wouldn't object to somebody using it if somebody would ask me about it
> first.  This is the first I've heard of it...
>
> Does "Joshua" have an internet address (or a full name)?  Don't send any
> money around until I figure out what's going on...

Yes, the fellow's name is Joshua Thompson, he has an America Online account,
JOSHUAT2, and he also has an internet account.  Grant Delaney sent me email
with the account name, but I think I killed that mail a while ago... in any
case, Grant, could you please post Joshua's interNet address?

> (I don't have the best memory, but I don't remember talking to anybody
>  named Joshua about using NuLib code...  wait and see).

I kinda didn't think so... I was wondering if Joshua had asked anyone about
using your code.  I had assumed that he did, but I guessI was mistaken.  And,
thank you, I'd like to stay as far away from this issue as possible.

andy

--

Yeah!