[comp.sys.apple] Merlin Pro

wiles@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Dale Wiles) (03/06/90)

I use Merlin-PRO V2.54, which is an OK assembler, but it's starting to
really show its age. So I called Roger Wagner Pub. and asked about
updating to what ever the current version is. According to the
secretary 2.54 IS the newest version.

Is this correct? Has Roger Wagner not updated this package in over 3
years? (It comes with ProDOS 1.4!) If the secretary is wrong, could
you tell me where I can get a newer version.  If she is correct (and
I'll be pissed if she is!), does anyone know how to rehook the ram
disk? This thing was written when /ram was only 64K, and I have almost
a MEG sitting around doing nothing.

Also, what other unprotected, ProDOS, *SUPPORTED* assemblers are out
there for the (enhanced) //e. I don't mind spending some money, but
I'd like something that gets along with a shell, uses the expanded
memory, and hopefully has some fairly powerfull macros.

				I await knowlege.

!{watmath,bolder,ruthers}!acsu.buffalo.edu!planck!wiles%hercules
*Emacs came, Dale, lad, Emacs came.               *(c) Marty Storer, Goog Inc.
*Disclaimer: I disclaim nothing! I am THE official*Looks more (bonk)
*opinion of my college, state, country and of all *like a sick-e-more (bonk)
*carbon based life forms in the universe.         *to me. Yogi the Space Bear.

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (03/06/90)

Dale Wiles writes:
>I use Merlin-PRO V2.54, which is an OK assembler, but it's starting to
>really show its age. So I called Roger Wagner Pub. and asked about
>updating to what ever the current version is. According to the
>secretary 2.54 IS the newest version.
>
>Is this correct?

The last I heard, there are two newer versions of Merlin, but neither of
them are technically Merlin-PRO.  One is Merlin 8/16, and the other is
Merlin 16+.  As you can guess, these are directed toward the IIgs.  They
SHOULD run on a //e, but I'm not sure about that.

>Also, what other unprotected, ProDOS, *SUPPORTED* assemblers are out
>there for the (enhanced) //e. I don't mind spending some money, but
>I'd like something that gets along with a shell, uses the expanded
>memory, and hopefully has some fairly powerfull macros.

Nibble magazine's parent company (MindCraft, I think it's called now) sells
an assembler for around $50.  It supports the 65C02, "expanded memory" (just
how much? I dunno), and there's a macro package available separately that
kinda simulates Applesoft commands.

A while ago, S-C software had a pretty powerful assembler.  Among other
things it supported cross-assembling to other microprocessors.  The
program's author, Bob Sander-Cedarlof, provided excellent support and
even had a magazine devoted to the assembler.  Anyone know if S-C is still
around?

Most supported assemblers seem to have gone toward the IIgs, which I suppose
is now the preferred development environmenti for the Apple II series.  I
hope you find something for the //e.

Howard C. Huang                        Internet:  huang@husc4.harvard.edu
Sophomore Computer Science Major       Bitnet:    huang@husc4.BITNET
Mather House 426, Harvard College      UUCP:      huang@husc4.UUCP (I think)
Cambridge, MA 02138                    Apple II:  ftp husc6.harvard.edu

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (03/06/90)

In article <2080@husc6.harvard.edu> huang@husc4.UUCP (Howard Huang) writes:
>The last I heard, there are two newer versions of Merlin, but neither of
>them are technically Merlin-PRO.  One is Merlin 8/16, and the other is
>Merlin 16+.  As you can guess, these are directed toward the IIgs.  They
>SHOULD run on a //e, but I'm not sure about that.

Merlin 8/16, as far as the ads I've seen go, does work on the IIe--or any other
8-bit Apple.  It is merely capable of generating 65816 code if you need it.  I
don't think I've ever heard of Merlin 16+, though.

>Nibble magazine's parent company (MindCraft, I think it's called now) sells
>an assembler for around $50.  It supports the 65C02, "expanded memory" (just
>how much? I dunno), and there's a macro package available separately that
>kinda simulates Applesoft commands.

I have that assembler.  If you have 128K, it'll move itself into the /RAM disk
for faster operation (fewer disk accesses).  It assembles source code from a
disk file to another disk file, so you can create programs of any size, using
segments if necessary.  (The editor, I think, handles 25-30K of source at a
time, so if you need something larger, you just use the COP pseudo-op to
chain to another source file.)  MacroSoft is another $50; I don't have it,
so I can't say much about it.  Macros supplied with the MindCraft (formerly
MicroSPARC) Assembler allow cross-assembly to the 8080 and Sweet-16.  (The
8080, I think, is for CP/M.  I have never figured out what Sweet-16 does;
it's supposed to be a 16-bit processor emulator or something like that.)

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_  Apple II: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (03/15/90)

>Merlin 8/16, as far as the ads I've seen go, does work on the
>IIe--or any other 8-bit Apple.  It is merely capable of generating
>65816 code if you need it.

If you have a IIe, you can use Merlin 8/16 as long as you get yourself
a 65802 chip (last time I checked-- way back when-- they were $25).
{
I used it with a 65802 IIe for a while and it was great.

Mark Munz