[comp.sys.apple] MacTransGS

blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (10/24/89)

Ok, I've made a fairly good attempt at locating John Wolf, the author of
MacTrans GS, way back in 1984.  Apparently his CIS address is defunct,
and I know of no other way of contacting him.

I'm going to send out the "improved" version of MacTrans GS,
which converts MFS (old Macintosh) format files to ProDOS (and runs on
the Apple), in a few days, unless anyone yells at me not to.  After
that, I'll respond to anyone's requests, etc. about it, as John appears
not to be around anymore. 8-)

Here's a quick run-down of the fixes:
 - Now accesses devices farther than two devices down on the Smartport
   chain (this is the main improvement -- GS users encountered problems
   here.)
 - A little better error checking, which allows proceeding after some
   not-too-fatal errors
 - A default download-file-type (easily changeable)
 - Informs you of filenames longer than 15 chars

*** As always, it runs on all Apple II's with a 3.5" SmartPort drive.
You don't need a GS, despite the name. ***

That's about it...it's just a minor fix, not a rewrite.  :-)

Scott Blackman
blackman@phoenix.princeton.edu

...It ain't HFS Trans GS, but it's what we've got!  :-)

blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (10/27/89)

I have just posted my modified Mac Trans GS to comp.binaries.apple2, and
it should be coming through APPLE2-L soon.  I never did contact the
author, but if anyone has trouble with it, feel free to contact me.  The
new version works with more than two Smartport devices, has improved
error handling, and is a little more friendly.  (It's also bigger).

Scott Blackman
blackman@phoenix.princeton.edu

hartkopf@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jeff Hartkopf) (03/03/90)

Has anyone heard of a program called MacTransGS, that is supposed to
transfer Macintosh resource forks to a ProDOS (GS/OS) disk.  I don't know
if the program is for the IIGS or the Macintosh.

If anyone has any information about the program, and especially where I could
get it, please let me know.  Thanks.

Jeff Hartkopf

Internet:
hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (03/03/90)

there is a program called mactransgs, but it's worthless, or next to it.
it only reads 400k  mac disks
if you really want, I'll send you a copy

nagendra

blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (03/04/90)

to which nagendra mishr (nagrendra@bucsf.bu.edu) replied:
>there is a program called mactransgs, but it's worthless, or next to it.
>it only reads 400k  mac disks
>if you really want, I'll send you a copy

>nagendra

Perhaps Mac Trans has a bit of life left in it:

When we look at the methods of Mac-->ProDOS translation, we get: Apple
file exchange, Duplicate IIgs (which I've never seen), AppleShare,
Serial Cabling, and Mac Trans.

Mac Trans is the only conversion that runs on Apple II's (any of them).

Mac Trans is the only conversion that allows copying of the Macintosh
Resource Fork into a ProDOS (non-forked) file.  AFE won't do it.

MTGS converts from 400k MFS disks to any ProDOS device, and is quicker
(and more reliable, in my experience) than AFE.  It is far easier for me
to (at a Mac) copy the Mac files onto an MFS disk, and later convert
them (at a II), than it is to AFE them onto a preformatted ProDOS disk
(at a Mac).  For AFE, you need preformatted ProDOS, and for MTGS, you
can format your own MFS disk right there.

Since, for me, it's a long haul to the nearest Mac, I don't want to need
to go back for a ProDOS disk (which you can't create on the Mac).

It would (of course) be far easier to pull out my Mac disks and use
HFSTrans on them (or, for IIgs owners, use a hypothetical HFS FST!),
but of course, we're all dreaming right now, right?  MFS translation is
close enough for now.

Anyway, since I use this often, I have (for my own benefit as well as
anyone else's) slimmed down the code, made it work on a IIgs, and
have a few quick hacks to improve the useability of the program.  I've
put out one "new and improved" version whose main improvement is that it
works on the IIgs.  It is a quick fix to make it work on 800K MFS disks
(yes, these creatures exist ... I've made a few).

...And we're all waiting for the HFS FST.  Thanks all.

Scott

Scott Blackman, 155 Forbes College, Princeton University
Internet> blackman@phoenix.princeton.edu
  Bitnet: blackman@PUCC                           "If I only had a brain..."
    UUCP: rutgers!princeton!phoenix!blackman

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (03/04/90)

On Sat, 3 Mar 90 17:15:18 GMT Scott Michael Blackman said:

>MTGS converts from 400k MFS disks to any ProDOS device, and is quicker
>(and more reliable, in my experience) than AFE.  It is far easier for me
>to (at a Mac) copy the Mac files onto an MFS disk, and later convert
>them (at a II), than it is to AFE them onto a preformatted ProDOS disk
>(at a Mac).  For AFE, you need preformatted ProDOS, and for MTGS, you
>can format your own MFS disk right there.
>
>Since, for me, it's a long haul to the nearest Mac, I don't want to need
>to go back for a ProDOS disk (which you can't create on the Mac).

  Have you looked lately?  AFE will format a Prodos disk.  I've found it
more convenient that MacTrans, although far less convenient than an HFS
FST, which Apple would have put out with GS/OS if it was run more
intelligently, would be.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  |
University of Connecticut  | Compu$erve  71545,1500
32 Hillside Avenue         | GEnie       ah.stein
Waterbury, CT 06710        | SNET        (203) 757-1231

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/04/90)

blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) writes:

>Anyway, since I use this often, I have (for my own benefit as well as
>anyone else's) slimmed down the code, made it work on a IIgs, and
>have a few quick hacks to improve the useability of the program.  I've
>put out one "new and improved" version whose main improvement is that it
>works on the IIgs.  It is a quick fix to make it work on 800K MFS disks
>(yes, these creatures exist ... I've made a few).

I got a copy that gave bizarre errors when it was reading the files.
This was running on a GS.

Could you send me or post the new version? It would be more convenient
than my current method, which is to use a basic/ml hack to dump the disk
into a text file, and then run that through binscii.. newly written to
HFS disks have no fragmentation so I can read the files intact with no
lookup necessary -- just have to clean out or ignore the garbage.

Also, how do you make an 800K MFS disk? One of those would be my preferred
methoed of getting downloads from the mainframes to my room (I don't have
a 9600 baud terminal link so I have to use a 2400 baud modem or walk to
the lab, and for downloads I usually gratuitously waste time on a Mac II
and its hard drive to do so.) AFE Mac to ProDOS is slow by design, it could
have been written to write blocks without seeking track 0 before each one
(listen to it, that's what it does!).

Thanx in advance.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (03/04/90)

In article <14221@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) writes:
>(and more reliable, in my experience) than AFE.  It is far easier for me
>to (at a Mac) copy the Mac files onto an MFS disk, and later convert
>them (at a II), than it is to AFE them onto a preformatted ProDOS disk
>(at a Mac).  For AFE, you need preformatted ProDOS, and for MTGS, you
>can format your own MFS disk right there.

That's strange.  The blank 3.5" ProDOS disks I have were all formatted on a Mac
SE/30 using AFE.  (Only reason I have 'em is because I didn't have a modem on
my IIe for a while, so I went from HFS on the Mac to 3.5" ProDOS which I moved
to 5.25" ProDOS on a IIGS (don't have 3.5" drives, either) so I could use them.
Then I got a modem.  Haven't done that type of thing since.)

On the subject of Apple File Exchange, I think the way the HFS-->ProDOS
conversion is set up is criminal.  It takes FOREVER to copy a large file
because AFE insists on checking the volume bitmap EVERY F*CKING TIME a block
is written to the ProDOS disk!  If Apple is using this as a tactic to get
people to move to the Mac, I think they'll cause people to wear out a lot of
Mac 3.5" drives first. :-)

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_  Apple II: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (03/05/90)

In article <1990Mar4.074955.8430@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) writes:
>On the subject of Apple File Exchange, I think the way the HFS-->ProDOS
>conversion is set up is criminal.  It takes FOREVER to copy a large file
> [...] If Apple is using this as a tactic to get
>people to move to the Mac, I think they'll cause people to wear out a lot of
>Mac 3.5" drives first. :-)

I seriously doubt that it's a conspiracy (I don't think it's actually
criminal, either :-) .

First, even given a higher-up with a "convert the II users" plan, I don't
see how "Give them a way to convert Mac files into ProDOS files, but make
it Really, Really Slow" is the plan they would come up with.

Second, I don't know any Apple engineers who would be willing to slow down
their product on purpose.

Realistically, it's an engineering trade-off:  there's never a shortage of
things that need to be done, and there are always optimizations that could
be made.  Maybe people use AFE to copy large files to ProDOS disks more
than was anticipated.

I have hope that it will be sped up in the future (I use it a fair amount
myself).
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

sloan@inrs-telecom.uquebec.ca (David Sloan) (03/06/90)

I believe AFE (Apple File Exchange) does have the ability to format
PRODOS disks. If you select the ERASE command from the FILE(?) menu
you'll notice that it has a PRODOS format option.

 David <Sloan@INRS-Telecom.UQuebec.CA>

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/06/90)

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) writes:

>In article <1990Mar4.074955.8430@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) writes:
>>On the subject of Apple File Exchange, I think the way the HFS-->ProDOS
>>conversion is set up is criminal.  It takes FOREVER to copy a large file
>> [...] If Apple is using this as a tactic to get
>>people to move to the Mac, I think they'll cause people to wear out a lot of
>>Mac 3.5" drives first. :-)

>First, even given a higher-up with a "convert the II users" plan, I don't
>see how "Give them a way to convert Mac files into ProDOS files, but make
>it Really, Really Slow" is the plan they would come up with.

I'll keep my mouth shut. It's hard to answer that without some major flames
that I can't expect you to answer for.

>Second, I don't know any Apple engineers who would be willing to slow down
>their product on purpose.

So maybe they were inept. Or figured, oh, no one will ever want to go from a
Mac to ProDOS now will they? So why write it correctly when no one will ever
use it?

Please don't defend the author of the driver on virtue of his/her being an
Apple employee. Apple's employees do make mistakes. Even then, it is hard
to see how it could be possible that any disk driver would need to seek track 0
EVERY TIME IT WRITES A BLOCK!!! I seriously doubt that anyone can come up with
a valid reason for doing so on a write that does not also require it on a
read which (of course) has no such problem.

>Realistically, it's an engineering trade-off:  there's never a shortage of
>things that need to be done, and there are always optimizations that could
>be made.  Maybe people use AFE to copy large files to ProDOS disks more
>than was anticipated.

That's not the point; ANY FILE, size does not matter, is subject to this
treatment. If I got my hands on the source code I am willing to bet quite a
bit that I can figure out how to fix it. Of course, I'd have to sign gobs of
non-disclosure agreements in blood if I ever got the chance to do it...

>I have hope that it will be sped up in the future (I use it a fair amount
>myself).

Personally, I don't see how you put up with it. It has driven me to write my
own program (Basic/ML of course) to dump a disk into a big text file so I can
extract downloads from the disk image (HFS, you see, writes nice contiguous
strips when there is no fragmentation) instead of waiting for AFE to work out
the 3.5 drive and having to shut off the screen saver. Now that I have a
version of MacTransGS that works, rest assured that I will be using it and a
400K MFS disk and NOT AFE.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (03/09/90)

Scott,

Thanks for the overview.  I just wanted to make one comment.  When you
are using AFE to move files from Mac to ProDOS, the ProDOS disks need
not be preformatted, you can insert a blank, or a mac formatted disk,
and then choose ERASE from the file menu in AFE.  It will offer to
format the disk single or double sided.  If you choose double sided,
it will offer to format the disk in either HFS (Mac) or ProDOS (Apple
II) formats.

Seymour

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (03/15/90)

I know one developer that uses the Mac to Assemble, then sends out
the code via a Comm package through the serial port to the IIGS. The
IIGS also has a Comm package up and running and writes it to disk.

I believe it goes at about 19.2K -- so it's pretty fast (assuming you
use Macros to make setting up the Comm packages a quick step).

Mark Munz