[comp.sys.apple] SCSI harddisk problems

X17914@BBRBFU01.BITNET (03/15/90)

This is a question for the tech guys out there.
I recently got a problem with a bad spot on my hard disk.
(A bad spot, you ask ? Yes, I'm sure of it. It's contained in one block
and sometimes (70 % of the time) it read's right and sometimes it doesn't.)
Like you know (I hope I'm not talking to much tech here ??) SCSI hardisk
can be formatted in a GENERIC way, that is a low level format where one has
to give the formatter program the list of known defects of the disk.
(Please correct me when found wrong !)
For you Sun (sorry for the Unix stuff here) system guru's, the formatter
of the SUNOS is a perfect example of such a generic formatter.
It also has the capability to extract the manufacturer's
defect list from unformatted drives !
(I agree, a manufacturer has to support it to make things work.)
My question is this:
-which program does one recommend to backup.
  (I have ://e enhanced, 832 K ram, 32 MB SEAGATE ST138N SCSI drive and
   the Apple SCSI card with Rev. C EPROM)
 I not really a fan of "IMAGE type backup" program's so.....
 I'd rather have 1 bad floppy with a few files lost, than the whole dump
-Is there somewhere a format program, that supports defect list entry
 and low level formatting.
-Is it possible to reformat one track with or without recovery of the data ?
 (SCSI makes it possible !)
-Does anyone know of a soft from SEAGATE that does this job
 (I'm willing to try it even on an IBM if the soft requires it)
  (Mmmhh, maybe usefull after all..... (joke !!))

I'm going to stop here, please help me to clean up my disk.

Thanks in advance.

  Robert Jansen
Unix guru and LAN Manager of the Brussels (yes, Brussel Sprouts) Free
University.
  Or X17921@BBRBFU01
     X17914@BBRBFU01

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (03/16/90)

In article <9003150400.aa19039@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> X17914@BBRBFU01.BITNET writes:
>-Is there somewhere a format program, that supports defect list entry
> and low level formatting.

Chinook's SCSI Utilities support low-level formatting, disk checking
(with optional bad block replacement), and partitioning.