[comp.sys.apple] Apple Press Release

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris: 223-8753, TECHNOLOGY OFFICE, MLO1-4/T35 12-Mar-1990 1105) (03/13/90)

From: fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden)

>Cupertino, CA

>     In a surprise move today, John Sculy announced that the low-end
>Macintosh systems would no longer be produced.
>

>     In addition to pushing their higher-end products, Sculy said that
>they would place more emphasis on their GS line.
>
>     "We don't think enough has been done for our greener, sweeter series
>of Apples.  They have the capabilities desirable in both business markets
>and K-12 educational cafeterias."

If this is true, this is the most sensible thing I've read on this feed in
a long time.  Stopping the infighting conserves much energy and allows
this energy to be directed in the right direction.

This seems like the most logical strategy:

    - leverage the massive existing Apple //  base

    - allow migration upwards (for those who desire it) with the like of
      hypercard GS, common peripherals, file transfer utilities, etc, etc.

    - focus the mac line on the higher end business needs

I hope it is true and wish all at Apple success in this strategy.

Now maybe the gloom & doom can stop. (Just a wish :-) )
|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (03/13/90)

In article <9003121614.AA19425@decwrl.dec.com> shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris: 223-8753, TECHNOLOGY OFFICE, MLO1-4/T35  12-Mar-1990 1105) writes:
>From: fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden)
>
>>Cupertino, CA
>
>>     In a surprise move today, John Sculy announced that the low-end
>>Macintosh systems would no longer be produced.
>>

>>     In addition to pushing their higher-end products, Sculy said that
>>they would place more emphasis on their GS line.
>>
>>     "We don't think enough has been done for our greener, sweeter series
>>of Apples.  They have the capabilities desirable in both business markets
>>and K-12 educational cafeterias."
>

>If this is true, this is the most sensible thing I've read on this feed in
>a long time.  Stopping the infighting conserves much energy and allows
>this energy to be directed in the right direction.

C'mon folks! Doesn't anyone recognize SATIRE.

Rick

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (03/13/90)

In article <1990Mar13.043332.13089@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) writes...
>>If this is true, this is the most sensible thing I've read on this feed in
>>a long time.  Stopping the infighting conserves much energy and allows
>>this energy to be directed in the right direction.
>>

>C'mon folks! Doesn't anyone recognize SATIRE.

Obviously not.  I fell for it hook, line and sinker.  Goes to show you
that when you want something so bad, you'll read (or not read) what ever
you want into something. :-)

Oh well Andy gave a bunch of us some home, if only for a short period of
time.

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (03/14/90)

(regarding the so-called "press release" from Apple)

>    In a surprise move today, John Sculy announced that the low-end
>Macintosh systems would no longer be produced.

>    In addition to pushing their higher-end products, Sculy said that
>they would place more emphasis on their GS line.

[Other stuff deleted.]

I'm surprised to see this Press Release out so soon.  There's only 18 days
until April lst!  Come on; they don't even spell Sculley's name right.

Sorry to burst your bubble; but with all the emphasis we've received over the
last few months from Apple Marketing (haha! that's a laugh), I can only
snicker at stuff like this.  Apple hardly mentions the Apple II at all.  It's
like it's some antique machine they're embarrassed to be associated with
(except when it's time to collect the cash from the bank).  Probably the only
press release we'll be seeing is when they finally decide to manufacture the
last one.

Damn.  I wasn't going to be so negative.

Lynda

chines@pro-houston.cts.com (Clifford Hines) (03/17/90)

I do.... this press release does not have a formal tone that most all of
Apple's press releases have.
Cliff

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!chines
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!chines@nosc.mil
INET: chines@pro-houston.cts.com

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (03/18/90)

In article <1856@crash.cts.com>, chines@pro-houston.cts.com (Clifford Hines) writes:

> I do.... this press release does not have a formal tone that most all of
> Apple's press releases have.
> Cliff

You guys are still talking about Andy McFadden's post about the low-end Mac,
right?  If I were Andy (which I am, but not the right andy), I'd be laughing
my ass off right now.

m'thinks everyone on these machines takes themselves _far_ too seriously.

andy

--

Yeah!