[comp.sys.apple] Compuserv&InterNet

cs225ax@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (03/14/90)

     This may have been discussed before, but is there a gateway from Compu-
Serve to InterNet?  I have a friend with a CompuServe account that would like
to access InterNet from there.  Any advice?  Thanks bunches.

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu (03/14/90)

In article <15800098@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, cs225ax@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu says:

>     This may have been discussed before, but is there a gateway from Compu-
>Serve to InterNet?  I have a friend with a CompuServe account that would like
>to access InterNet from there.  Any advice?  Thanks bunches.

There is a way to send mail to and from compuserve, but no gateways to telnet
or FTP exist. I think your friend can get things like comp.sys.apple2 by
subscribing to a listserver, but I'm not sure about that 100%

johnson@peterj.enet.dec.com (03/14/90)

>      "... is there a gateway from CompuServe to InterNet? ..."

Yes, in Easyplex send the mail to >internet:...  For example, I can send myself
mail by addressing it to

                     >internet:johnson@peterj.enet.dec.com

Pete Johnson - DEC, Marlboro, MA USA
Internet: johnson@epoch.enet.dec.com
UUCP:  ...!decwrl!epoch.enet!johnson
CIS: 72557,61

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey) (03/18/90)

The only access to InterNet from CIS is email.  To send a letter to someone at
an InterNet site when in CIS's EasyPlex mail system type the following address
at the To: line.
>internet:user@host.domain
The use of ">internet:" is Compuserve's general gateway access syntax; it does
not appear in anything on the internet side of the gateway.
Example:
>internet:daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0415

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |