[comp.sys.apple] GIF for an apple][c

fjs3367@ultb.isc.rit.edu (F.J. Schwalm) (03/12/90)

I remember talk about apple GIF viewing a while ago, but nothing about what was
talked about, so bear with me if I repeat the topic.

I have an Apple ][c, and just recently have obtained some GIF viewers and
pictures for an IBM compatable.  Thinking it might be possible to find a GIF
viewer for my computer, I went out and found one.  It's called IIGIF.  I
thought 'This is great, now I can view some of these pictures at MY computer
instead of at someone else's.'  I was wrong.  It seems that the only GIF files
that this program recognizes are the ones that were 'textified' to executioner
format.  I download the text files, exec them under either ProDOS or DOS 3.3,
and they work great.  Any binary GIF file from anywhere else is not recognized
as a GIF file by this program.  I've downloaded several from the ftp locations
in binary format, dowloaded to my computer in binary format, and transfered
them to ProDOS.  No go.  Just about the only thing I haven't tried yet is
downloading straight to ProDOS, and I can't do that.  My ProDOS emulator
doesn't have any protocols that my host can send with.

So my question(s) is(are) this(these):
Am I doing anything wrong by not d/l straight to ProDOS?
Is there something wrong with IIGIF that makes regular GIF files inaccessable?
Do I have to get a translation program to modify the regular GIF files?  Poor
    planning on someone's part if this is true.
Is there another GIF viewer for the Apple ][c?  maybe for DOS 3.3?
Is Kermit incapable of d/l binary files correctly?
Or What?  I didn't hunt for an apple ][c GIF viewer so I couldn't wiew the
    pictures I wanted to see.  I'd like something that works for all standard
    GIF pictures, not on some non-standard GIF format.  It doesn't even make
    sense to HAVE a non-standard GIF format.  I thought standardization was the
    idea to begin with...

== '90 DCI - BUFFALO, NY ==     "Were the blades of grass and arrows rain    ==
==   '89 SCV - 98.8!!!   ==     Then there'd be no sorrow, be no pain..."    ==
===========================                                                  ==
==    FJS3367 @ RITVAX   ==         -- Emerson, Lake & Palmer -- Tarkus      ==

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (03/16/90)

In article <2394@ultb.isc.rit.edu> fjs3367@ultb.isc.rit.edu (F.J. Schwalm) writes:
>Or What?  I didn't hunt for an apple ][c GIF viewer so I couldn't wiew the
>    pictures I wanted to see.  I'd like something that works for all standard
>    GIF pictures, not on some non-standard GIF format.  It doesn't even make
>    sense to HAVE a non-standard GIF format.  I thought standardization was the
>    idea to begin with...

It is, and in fact when I last tried IIGIF some time ago it worked fine
with genuine GIF-format files.  However, some BBSes (notably those on
Macintoshes) may download your GIF files with additional header garbage
stuck on the front of the file; if the GIF viewer doesn't try to skip
such leading garbage it won't think the file is in GIF format.  (A true
GIF format file begins with the ASCII characters 'GIF87a'.)

I'm working on a GIF viewer for the IIGS, and somebody else recently
announced he was doing something along the same lines.  There are two
big problems with GIF viewing on an Apple II:  Many existing files
contain more information than can fit on the Apple II display, and
it is difficult to choose a good selection of colors for the Apple's
limited palette.

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (03/17/90)

In article <12359@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

> It is, and in fact when I last tried IIGIF some time ago it worked fine
> with genuine GIF-format files.  However, some BBSes (notably those on
> Macintoshes) may download your GIF files with additional header garbage
> stuck on the front of the file; if the GIF viewer doesn't try to skip
> such leading garbage it won't think the file is in GIF format.  (A true
> GIF format file begins with the ASCII characters 'GIF87a'.)

Get a program called MACDOWN by (I think) Jason Harper.  It strips off the
header 'garbage' on Mac BBS's.  (the garbage is really the MacBinary Header)

--
Joel Sumner      GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella

fjs3367@ultb.isc.rit.edu (F.J. Schwalm) (03/18/90)

>In article <2394@ultb.isc.rit.edu> fjs3367@ultb.isc.rit.edu (F.J. Schwalm) writes:
>>Or What?  I didn't hunt for an apple ][c GIF viewer so I couldn't wiew the
>>    pictures I wanted to see.  I'd like something that works for all standard
>>    GIF pictures, not on some non-standard GIF format.  It doesn't even make
>>    sense to HAVE a non-standard GIF format.  I thought standardization was the
>>    idea to begin with...
>
>It is, and in fact when I last tried IIGIF some time ago it worked fine
>with genuine GIF-format files.  However, some BBSes (notably those on
>Macintoshes) may download your GIF files with additional header garbage
>stuck on the front of the file; if the GIF viewer doesn't try to skip
>such leading garbage it won't think the file is in GIF format.  (A true
>GIF format file begins with the ASCII characters 'GIF87a'.)

Well, after numerous mail messages saying they had to be downloaded
straight to ProDOS, and a couple that even recommended Kermit 3.86 (a big
upgrade compared to what I had) I tracked down Kermit 3.86 and tried
it.  It worked.  So I guess it's time to say thanx to all that replied
for their time and trouble in solving my dilemma.  Thanx to all.

		Nutrocker --